Temecula Valley USD Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Classified substitute"

Former Employee - Classified Substitute in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Classified Substitute in Temecula, CA

I worked at Temecula Valley USD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and good work environment

Cons

Need more training material for specific jobs

Advice to Management

Reward good performing subs with first dibs.

2. "Custodian II- NIght"

Current Employee - Custodian
    Current Employee - Custodian

I have been working at Temecula Valley USD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far none that I can see

Cons

Too many to write down.

3. "Fun"

Current Employee - LVN in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - LVN in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Temecula Valley USD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I make an impact on many students lives

Cons

None that I can think of

4. "special education teacher assistant"

I have been working at Temecula Valley USD part-time

Pros

I work with fun, energetic teachers. Everyone very supportive of one another.

Cons

Some of the students can be violent and dangerous--not appropriately placed in a public high school.

5. "Subtitute"

I have been working at Temecula Valley USD part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, great opportunity to learn and experience various positions.

Cons

Low pay with limited hours

Advice to Management

Occasional one on one meeting may be beneficial.

6. "Instructional Assistant II SDC/RSP"

Current Employee - Instructional Assistant - Special Education in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Assistant - Special Education in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Temecula Valley USD part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love my job. I get to work with students with Autism and cognitive delays. I enjoy helping them succeed. I have a lot of freedom to try more creative approaches to presenting material. We have fun with the kids and get to love on them and celebrate their successes even though they can be few and far in between. I get paid well for part-time (30 hours a week).

Cons

It is nice to be off summers but I really need a full time income. That is impossible in my job unless I go on to be a Special Education teacher. That will require some huge school debt. Parents can be very difficult and unrealistic. Teachers can be very stressed and too busy to work with the kids along side the Aides. There is a ton of legal paperwork to be done and tons of testing. I always work more than my paid shifts. My job is rare, most are 3.5 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Allow staff to work full time, encourage staff to become teachers and spend time training. Bring in administrative support so the teacher can be more hands on and not have to do all their work at home on their own time. Staff classroom a little heavier. It seems so short handed at times.

7. "Teaching in Temecula"

Pros

Nice place to live and work

Cons

Sense of Entitlement in the community

"Great Group To Work With"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

Pros

TVUSD is a strong employer in the area. They appreciate those who belong to their multi-faceted team. A job with this company is a rewarding one. As an employee, I am not only a member, I am family.

Cons

A Substitute Teacher has no opportunity for advancement, benefits or pay raises. If not hired on as a contracted teacher, one has only the option to keep serving until the next hiring season. It can be disheartening at times.

Advice to Management

Please give substitute teachers incentives, goals and rewards for multiple years in service.

"So upset that I took a job with this district."

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Temecula Valley USD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The facilities are kept in good condition.

Cons

1. Required to purchase district health care even though I already have military insurance through my husband.
    2. Terrible principals who appoint only "yes-men" to department chairs and systematically remove anyone who may challenge them.
    3. Parents who will harass and threaten to sue you if you do not give their "F" student a passing grade.
    4. Administration who only wants to see students graduate for the school's status (not because of the student's actual achievements).
    5. Kids who could not care less about school and rely on their parents to get them passing grades.
    6. Administrations who require teachers to handle every job duty that traditionally is the responsibility of the security guards, district, administration, etc.
    7. Facilities may be kept in good condition but are incredibly dirty. This is across the board with every school in the district.
    8. Administrations who have your back until they are in the room with the parents and then do not hesitate to throw you under the bus.
    9. Terrible special education departments (special ed mommies) that have placed more entitlement on SPED/RSP students and will hunt down/harass general education teachers to pass their lazy students who do no work in class and no work at home instead of assisting their students. They will then tattle on you to the administrators when you show them that you have followed the IEPs and provided accommodations and the kids still didn't do the work/failed. Every special education teacher I worked with did this.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the incredibly corrupt superintendent and take some cues from successful districts (Irvine, Capistrano) on how to actually create high achieving students instead of just giving "F" students a "C" and "C" students an "A". Fire every one of your special education teachers and replace them with teachers who actually want to see those kids have a future instead of playing the "disability" care for the rest of their lives. Defend your teachers instead of just throwing them under the bus.

"They don't pay substitute teachers on time!"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Temecula Valley USD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The biggest pros are the students in the classroom. I have a stack of more than 20 homemade cards from elementary kids that I taught :) I know the schools in this district are great as far as test scores go with a lot of good teachers, but I cannot speak about the experience of being a regular teacher. I'm assuming it's much different.

Cons

Avoid writing negative reviews about classes. I had a couple classes that were out of control and actually had to send a couple kids to the office. To my surprise, both times I received a bad review from the school (no one had even come into class to see me teach) and was banned from teaching at those schools. It was hard to go into new classes knowing that I might have to allow the children to be disrespectful if I wanted to keep my job.

Pay - it's the lowest. $100/day. But the worst part is that I went to pick up what I thought would be a $900 paycheck and it was only $300! They were extremely rude and careless and said I would get the rest on my next paycheck because some of the schools don't turn in timesheets on time. I had to threaten to call the department of fair employment and housing and beg for my entire check so that I could pay my rent. They seemed to enjoy getting a rise out of me and I saw a worker roll her eyes at me. I sat there for two hours before getting the rest of my pay on payday. I've talked to other substitute teachers and this is the norm. It happened to me two times. Since this incident where I had to demand my paycheck, I had a feeling I wouldn't be getting much more work.

Severly disabled children - I have no experience at all and requested not to be assigned to these classrooms. If I were a parent, I would definitely not want someone with zero experience in charge of my child. They sent me to at least 5 jobs substituting for severely disabled children. The helpers in those classrooms were all bruised up because some of the kids get violent and I felt awful and helpless and stuck because I couldn't leave for the day. I called and complained, but to no avail. The schools don't always specify it's SDC and just categorize it as "extra help." The first time I was scheduled ever, I realized on the call what SDC meant so I didn't finish the call and hung up before confirming the job. I got a bad review for cancelling that job (even though I should have never been contacted for it and didn't even confirm) and was banned entirely from that school.

The final straw - I had to cancel 2 jobs in one week because I had a fever for 5 days (I have a doctor note as well). I cancelled with plenty of time for the jobs to be covered. I called the principal of the school to apologize saying I have never had a fever for more than 2 days in my life and it was scary. His reply was cold and said no one knew who I was and it was rumored that I cancel a lot so they banned me from the school.

When I tried to login to subfinder I was locked out. I called the district and they said I was no longer able to substitute teach unless I have an official meeting with the district. I can't even print out the list of jobs I have worked at because they booted me out of the system completely.

There are some serious issues with this district. At a middle school, I taught the same class all day and could not believe my eyes. They put every single hispanic sounding last name in the most overcrowded class. There was literally only one white person in that class. I have never seen anything as close to segregation in my life. I had the biggest pit in my stomach and felt so bad.

A lot of kids talk about Jesus in class and when I asked one kid not to discuss religion, I got written up because a parent complained that I was "snippy."

I have a graduate school (MA) degree and have never been formally reprimanded at a job in my life. I think I got a total of 4 write ups in less than a year. This has been the most unprofessional experience to date. I'm from a big city and had no idea how horrible trying to work at a school district in this small city would be.

I enjoyed the teaching part very much and most of the kids were great. But after this experience, I'm going back to a career as an executive. I'm definitely going to miss working at some of the schools, but whoever manages the substitute program is extremely unprofessional.

Advice to Management

I have no advice, but if things don't change I can see a major lawsuit in the future.