Tempel Steel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vincent J. Buonanno

1. "Sr. Manager of HR & Regulatory Affairs"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tempel Steel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tempel Steel Company is the highest quality, most responsive, best cost, and most technically advanced motor and transformer laminations manufacturer in the world.

Cons

Tempel Steel Company produces the progressive tools for stamping businesses. It requires continuous improvement on technology.

Advice to Management

Need more focus on developing Engineers and Technicians.

2. "Culture is what a leader projects!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at Tempel Steel (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of good, talented, professional and caring people to work with. Organization trying to make changes thru involvement programs.

Cons

The company wants to project "we are all family" culture to employees. Far from the truth, old school stereotypical, do as I say, not as I do, culture. Leadership surrounds itself with friends and recent hires and discounts experienced employees. Numerous attempts to change the culture have failed due to management inconsistency and finding faults in others. Declining business with shrinking market share.

3. "Plenty of plans and big talk... Not enough implementation."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tempel Steel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some nice people. Good benefits

Cons

There is talk of implementing change, but some upper management are stuck in their ways. Instead of being open to ideas they look for ways to shut new those ideas down. Or they would change for a moment and than go back to the old way. Back stabbing and it is hard to trust the people you work with. I suggested an idea to a person who was in upper management. She told me it was a bad idea but when we had a meeting she presented it as her idea.

Advice to Management

Bad employee moral. Build trust between employees and management.

"This company is a perfect example of why pay isn't everything"

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tempel Steel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good
    Benefits were above average

Cons

This is the type of place where everyday you show up to work you consider it the worst day of your life. Some people were decent people, but a lot of employees were rude and would stab you in the back whenever they could. I've never seen anything this bad in my entire career. I think it is a reflection of the leadership in the company. Leadership was brutal. I once saw the owner, Vincent Buonnano, berate a higher level manager in front of a large population of the company after giving a presentation. It was not the time or place to do it and made everyone uncomfortable. This rude behavior was typical across the board. It starts at the top and trickles all the way down. Tenure is huge there. If you've been with the company for more than a couple decades, you could get away with a lot. If you are new to the company, people treat you like trash. Tempel is in the midst of attempting to change the overall culture, but the people resisting the change are at the top which makes it almost impossible to implement any real change. The population is aging very fast and they have big issues retaining younger employees. I see them having lots of issues in the next decade or so due to the aging population and their resistance to change.

Advice to Management

Learn to accept change. Treat others with respect. Smile once in a while.

5. "Management Professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

A family owned company with a proud past and uncertain future. The company tends to promote from within where it can. Pay is fair to good for similar work and benefits are good.

Cons

Old line manufacturing in a declining industry. Electronics miniaturization and offshore competition has put pressure on margins. Management tends to be somewhat detached and insular. Bull goes a long way here.

Advice to Management

Management needs to see through the bull from its managers and demand performance. Too many have become too comfortable in their jobs.

6. "Best Place to Work"

I worked at Tempel Steel full-time

Pros

Beautiful office, great location, great people for the most part and amazing benefits you really won't see anywhere else.

Cons

May take a while to move up the ladder.

7. "Declining business"

I worked at Tempel Steel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the only/last manufacturing companies located in the city of Chicago.
    Fair pay and benefits.

Cons

Sale are in decline. Chicago facility is in a perpetual down sizing mode. There is a serious leadership void at the executive level. As a result there seems to be no coherent strategy, which cause immense dis-functionality at the lower levels of the company. The culture is very cut-throat. and political. Functional areas are siloed and everyone is constantly anxious to defend their turf. The employee turn-over is extreme particularly on the commercial side. The company claims to treat employees like family, which although at a time it may have, could not be any further from the truth.

Advice to Management

Change the culture and create a more stable environment.

8. "Old Boys Club Company"

Pros

Parking at Tempel is free it is located in a neighborhood with tons of great restaurants. The pay is very competitive.

Cons

There are little to no women or people of color in executive positions. The culture is very much an "old boys club" even among the workers in the plant.

9. "Future"

I worked at Tempel Steel full-time

Pros

Family owned. Good benefits

Cons

Multiple turnovers in Leadership. A lot of US business going to overseas facilities.

10. "Production"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Tempel Steel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for. Good people and team. Good growth in career and business.

Cons

location is far from city