Tempest Telecom Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Jessica Firestone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Tempest Telecom Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyable and positive work environment. Bagels on Fridays and a lot of fun company events. I'd recommend it for sure.

Cons

Expensive to live in Santa Barbara. Pay is reasonable but not exceptional. Not a ton of extra work benefits but the events are nice.

2. "Close-knit team, supportive management, community atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Tempest Telecom Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my years at Tempest, I worked in both the sales and accounting departments.
    In the sales side, it was definitely up to us to go out and find success, but we were given ample freedom to seek out interesting opportunities/customers and propose sometimes unconventional ideas directly to senior management, and I always felt that if I had enough confidence in my ideas, management would support me and help me follow through 100%. The coworkers I worked with were generally experienced, qualified, and capable, and I always had a pretty clear sense of what direction the company was trying to move/grow in and what my expected role was.
    In the accounting side, we had a great team of people assembled who knew the company well and were experienced in their roles. I had less direct interaction with senior management in accounting than I did in sales, however this was mainly due to the accounting management being so competent that issues rarely had to be escalated. I personally did not experience any friction working with the sales folks while I was in accounting, and everyone was happy to help me resolve problems that I required their input on, which is not common in sales based companies.
    Overall, I felt like Tempest was a welcoming company that encouraged me to do the best work I could and supported me all along the way. The current employees there in all departments are a great group of people who are dedicated to making Tempest a positive place to work.

Cons

My number one issue at Tempest was the high amount of employee turnover, particularly in the first couple of years I was there. My own sales team cycled through half a dozen employees before we were able to put together a dependable team, and the management in accounting (during my time in sales) was a revolving door, which led to a lot of unresolved issues and tension between the sales people, who felt that accounting didn't have their backs.
    By the time I moved to accounting, these issues had been resolved, however that meant that a lot of my work there related to cleaning up the messes that had been made in the prior years.
    As others have mentioned, the combination of family and friends employed at Tempest definitely leads to some eccentricity in the workplace, and the freedom to work how you want doesn't always work out for the best when you find that the people on your team are making decisions that seem, at times, nonsensical. I think this is the primary reason for the amount of turnover - Tempest's atmosphere is not for the faint of heart, and if you're looking to go in to a standard 9-5 job without any wrinkles, this probably isn't the company for you.
    In all of my positions, training was active, on the job training for a couple of days, and then I was left mostly to my own devices. This applied to both my job responsibilities/duties and to the ERP system being used. Due to a lack of dedicated ERP training and IT support, many people who weren't as computer savvy as myself often found themselves struggling with issues that they did not have the means of resolving in a timely manner.
    Additionally, as others have mentioned, there isn't a super rigid structure as far as performance and compensation reviews, and in my time there, every review I had was initiated on my end by reaching out to the relevant manager or HR person.

Advice to Management

Conversations about performance and compensation with your employer are an enduring source of stress and awkwardness in the workplace. Having such a loose structure for when and how that happens only compounds that stress, and I think a more transparent and regular structure would help employees feel a lot more comfortable and confident in that regard.
    The amount of training provided to new employees has improved in the past couple years, but still has room to grow, particularly in the need for specific, dedicated ERP training for new employees.
    In senior management specifically, it's very vague who does what, and this is confusing both to new and long-time employees. Having more clear cut roles and more transparency regarding what exactly everyone's duties/responsibilities are would help people feel more at ease with decisions being made that they don't necessarily understand.

"Excellent company!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Tempest Telecom Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work!
    Excellent company! Family feel, hard working people, humble, kind and appreciative overall. I'm hard pressed to find a problem here unless there is an underlying issue. If it's not a good fit, that's just business, it's not personal.
    Smart, motivated and hard-working co-workers!

Cons

There are really no "cons" that shouldn't be expected in the workplace. A job is a job is a job is a job. You come, you work hard and make your worth known. During your downtime you enjoy life and recoup and be ready for the next day. Am I missing something?
    I'm super disappointed that others think it's ok to post things that aren't true.
    Running a company is stressful, difficult, a lot of responsibility but can be rewarding. I've owned my own company and I learned that the stress was more than I could handle so I sold it and realized I was better suited as someone who works for someone else.
    I think it's unfair to judge someone who your don't have a feeling of what it's like to be in their shoes.

Advice to Management

None. It's their company, they can run it how they please. If we don't like it, we have a choice to stay or go. In this case, I'm happy and really enjoy the camaraderie that is in this office.

"Awful company with very unqualified mgmt"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Tempest Telecom Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location is great, but that is about all that can be said for positives.
    A couple of the VPs are really good people as well.

Cons

The CEO is completely incompetent. Asks to speak about everything at a "high level" because she is completely incapable of understanding anything technical.

The COO is absolutely a crook, as others have mentioned. How he didn't end up in prison when he was the CEO of a public company is beyond me. Every business he starts eventually goes bk. This business will too.
    It was fine when there were very few players in the Ericsson cell site market and ATT was desperate, but that was simply right place and right time. Very few people including the execs here could hold a job anywhere else. Almost the entire company lives in the same house/ boat and is part of some strange socialist social experiment.

Advice to Management

Sell and take the money. You have absolutely no chance in today's market. Do any of you honestly believe you have the technical skills to run a company in today's market. The credentials of the CEO are laughable. Try and have a conversation with her without laughing right in her face, it's impossible.

"Room for improvement"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Tempest Telecom Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are nice and hard working.

Cons

Too much nepotism and favoritism

Advice to Management

Learn to differentiate between "family" and operating a real legitimate business.

"Decent place to work"

I have been working at Tempest Telecom Solutions full-time

Pros

Great group of employees who work hard and are team oriented

Cons

Sales environment can be treacherous. Nepotism with a capital 'N'.

Advice to Management

Need to be less reactive and more interested in long term goals instead of month to month results.

7. "Supply Specialist"

I worked at Tempest Telecom Solutions full-time

Pros

Room to move up. Friendly environment. Able to negotiate pay fairly. Fun happy hours. Fun events. Cool salespeople and other co-workers.

Cons

Very nepotistic environment. Lots of paperwork should be streamlined digitally. Projects would continuously change and it could be a hassle getting certain approvals.

Advice to Management

Managements needs to be streamlined. There seems to be too many managers that could be telling you many different things.

"Great people, weak organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Tempest Telecom Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers.
    There is a lot of flexibility to "make the job your own."
    You are not micro-managed.
    Gives a platform for senior/experienced professionals to build their own business.

Cons

The company is extremely fragmented and operates less like a well-oiled machine with defined goals and more like a collection of independent sales people just trying to make some money.
    There are no procedural consistencies and this causes serious deficiencies in seizing opportunities and substantial overlap in effort.
    One is left to their own devices to solve issues and define their role. Suggestions and pleas for help almost always fall on deaf ears, unless there is a very obvious, immediate financial gain.
    The idea of "spending money to make money" is completely lost at this place. Operations as a department does not exist and receives no investment. The idea here is to pour everything into sales and hope it works out.

Advice to Management

Please get more involved in the day-to-day operations of your company. Unify your teams and standardize basic things like data entry and ERP procedures. Create meetings where sales people collaborate and share opportunities on the horizon in order to assist and expand in converting leads. Listen to the pleas of your employees and hear them as moments to improve and expand your business not as merely increased expenditures.

"Good company, good people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Tempest Telecom Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working at Tempest. It was a growing company at a tricky time for the industry. They offer a positive work/lift balance and treat their employees well. Overall it was a good experience but long term it wasn't the right fit.

Cons

While they claimed to have to have an open door policy, that wasn't always the case.

"Not for me"

Pros

Enjoyed my coworkers and the closeness to downtown Santa Barbara

Cons

Hours worked, Upper management, Salary