Ten Thousand Villages Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Carl Lundblad

Pros
  • They have free fair trade high quality, good tasting, coffee available to all warehouse workers (in 10 reviews)

• Its mission to provide vital income to artisans in developing countries is its driving force, and is shared through a network of stores across the US (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It's somewhat hard to work for the company without being interested in its underlying philosophy of fair trade and greenery (in 4 reviews)

• This company is a non-profit so it would be hard to survive, financially, without a second job, or a partner who makes the majority of the money (in 4 reviews)

1. "Making a comeback!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, PA

I have been working at Ten Thousand Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been in many environments and this is by far the most creative and mission driven. Departments are collaborating so everyone is on the same page with the same goals in mind to boost morale and sales. The previous reviews were left prior to my arrival but I can tell you that the management is working tirelessly to engage employees and improve experiences all around. The Interim CEO Carl is doing an AMAZING job and deserves kudos for doing what needs to be done to help the organization succeed. I feel the air of change and it's refreshing.

Cons

We ran out of regular fair trade coffee and we only have decaf until we restock.

Advice to Management

Stay on the current track we are on by welcoming ideas and giving them a go. We are in a time of renewal and restructuring which will bring the group closer and less compartmentalized. Leadership integrity and solidarity is in the air of the building. Once we have all aspects of the organization working in unison together we will be unstoppable.

2. "Assistant Manager"

I have been working at Ten Thousand Villages full-time

Pros

Wonderful atmosphere
    Socially conscious
    Fair Trade
    Broad Range of Experiences

Cons

Long Days
    Weekends
    Standing for Most of the Day

"Great company undergoing some struggles"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Ten Thousand Villages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The atmosphere and mission are amazing. It is truly fulfilling to work with a company that does so much good in the world. Almost without exception, everyone in the company I have talked to loves their job.

Cons

The retail market since the 2008 recession has been extremely difficult. Adjusting to reduced traffic and sales has been very difficult for this company. They have such a big heart, they don't want to hurt anyone...makes it difficult to make tough decisions.

Advice to Management

The considerable amount of turnover, especially in the head office, has made communication and consistency difficult. It's important to find good business people to guide the company through the difficult times, but it's critical to not lose sight of the overall mission.

5. "Customer Relations"

Current Employee - Customer Relations in Akron, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Relations in Akron, PA

I have been working at Ten Thousand Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission makes you feel fulfilled at the end of a long work day. Customers are wonderful.
    Co-workers are very down to earth and great people to work with. Innovative ideas are always being tossed around.

Cons

Non-profit pay, but I would probably volunteer to do my job if necessary. Not much room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Be innovative and open to suggestions.

6. "Amazing & Uplifting Environment!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Volunteer
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Volunteer

I have been working at Ten Thousand Villages part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for a Ten Thousand Villages in PA for 8 months before relocating. The mission, to help alleviate global poverty, really appealed to me because I'm the type of person who needs a job that makes a tangible difference in the life of another person. All of my co-workers were great, as well as our customers. Some customers came in on a regular basis and I noticed that most of those people had been to at least one other country, or perhaps had a family member who traveled internationally, for work or pleasure. It was great to connect with like-minded people who wanted to support micro-enterprise. New customers liked hearing about our mission and were always pleasantly surprised to learn that everything in the shop was handmade! I liked moving the products around, learning about the product origins and how fair-trade affects artisans and communities. Working with TTV has made me much more aware of my own purchasing choices and I feel like I can make a difference in the world by making more intentional fair-trade purchases.

Cons

This company is a non-profit so it would be hard to survive, financially, without a second job, or a partner who makes the majority of the money. There are two types of stores: company stores, and contract stores. When I wanted to transfer to a different shop, in another state, I learned that the new location was a contract store, and run mainly by volunteers. I was looking for a paid position, but I decided to volunteer anyway, because I love the atmosphere in the store, and I wanted to continue making a difference in my own way.

Advice to Management

I never once met my district manager... I learned that the district manager does not do the ordering for the store... If the district manager isn't working in the shop, visiting the shop, or doing the ordering... What is the district manager actually doing? It made me wonder why we even had a district manager. I also feel like the very high level upper management hasn't worked at a cash register in many many years, potentially. I sensed a HUGE disconnect with the information coming from upper management. I believe that ALL management personnel, including the CEO, should work in a store, on a cash register, at the very least, two DAYS per month.

"Villages Corporate Office"

Pros

Meaningful work, clean and comfortable corporate office, artisan visits.

Cons

Consistently contributed excellent work to my team. Most of the work was minimally acknowledged and my ideas (which ended up being key to major projects) were never acknowledged at all. When my role ended due to budget constraints, I barely heard the words "Thank you" from my direct supervisor.

A few months later when I applied to another position, I received an e-mail before my interview from my former direct supervisor, suggesting I consider another job at another company instead (!). I knew this was not a good sign, and despite being highly qualified and giving a great interview, I was ultimately passed over. Management is insecure, not hiring the most qualified candidates but the most obedient and unquestioning. Any ideas or passion for the Villages mission are unfortunately met with silence and suspicion.

Until some higher-ups decide to retire, I know this trend of qualified employees feeling disrespected and unheard will surely continue. There is too much apathy from people who are supposed to be changing the world.

Advice to Management

Care more about the mission. Hire people because they are qualified and passionate, not because they don't threaten you.

"Lack of opportunity and turn a blind eye to employees"

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages full-time

Pros

the mission is great but what they say and what they actually are completely different.

Cons

Corporate office is very incompetent and do not have the proper education or the proper training.
    They mission is there fair pay fair trade but that might happen with the artisan groups but in this country not as much. I have witnesses terrifying behavior from managers towards associates.
    No diversity at all everybody is somehow related to one another.
    The company needs to survive, in order to survive employees need to be the type that like change not the type that want to stick with what was established years ago.

Advice to Management

If you have someone working for the company over 20 years that great but the employees skills haven't been refreshed so possibly retrain them and if they can not be retrained maybe a new face would be good.
    Hire more diverse employee base maybe that will also adhere to the mission.

9. "Amazing Company"

Former Employee - Visual Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Visual Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

The best about this company is the way you can talk to corporate, very easy going. The culture they live by and the help they provide to help others around the world. The learning opportunity you get to actually learn about other cultures and countries is amazing. You do feel rewarded at the end of the day for selling their product because you are making a difference not just in the store or company but to villages around the world that need help.

Cons

Too little money, it is a non for profit company.

Advice to Management

You need more seasoned managers with more experience in retail, in sales generation, customer service and merchandising, remember a college degree does not make a great manager... experience does

10. "Lead Volunteer"

Current Employee - Lead Volunteer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Volunteer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ten Thousand Villages (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, enjoyable. As a non-profit organization they really like to share their story and work closely with their volunteers.

Cons

they could update their way of communicating changes to their volunteers

11. "Great Mission"

I have been working at Ten Thousand Villages part-time

Pros

Meaningful work, great volunteers, excellent opportunity to expand your horizons

Cons

Low pay, very few hours, management lacks proper education