Ten Thousand Villages Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Carl Lundblad

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Incredible volunteers, supportive community, passionately engaged in fair trade (in 13 reviews)

• The company has a great mission statement (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They mission is there fair pay fair trade but that might happen with the artisan groups but in this country not as much (in 6 reviews)

• Pay isn't bad, but because they are a non profit they aren't as competitive (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great work environment"

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages full-time

Pros

Great management, flexible scheduling, fun items to sell, promotes fair trade, safe work environments and opportunities for artists around the world

Cons

Pay was low, but that was mainly because the company is non-profit

2. "Solid Mission, update CS"

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a company with a great and compassionate mission was awesome, but the customer service model could use and update at the store level.

Cons

There was a lot of pressure to talk to customers about the mission, which though is a great mission, it made it awkward to push it on customers.

3. "Great opportunity to learn about art and the world"

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages part-time

Pros

Really nice coworkers, constant opportunities to learn, a mission that has meaning, beautiful merchandise, friendly and welcoming environment

Cons

Not many opportunities to advance

4. "Great organization, but you have to do a lot with a little"

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages full-time

Pros

-Great people, great vibes - you'll always feel good showing up to work knowing what you help contribute to
    -Decent benefits (vacation, sick, retirement contribution, life and disability insurance) aside from healthcare. They provide it but you have to pay bills up from and they reimburse.
    -Great for networking with community, a lot of freedom for store leaders

Cons

-You have to do a lot with a little. Experience times of tight payroll, spend nothing on events virtually
    -They make you sign something when they hire you saying you accept their Christian faith based values (Mennonite organization originally). Nothing is actually imposed on staff, but technically not an EEO
    -No real advancement beyond store management level unless you want to live/travel frequently to horse and buggy Pennsylvania
    -Pay isn't bad, but because they are a non profit they aren't as competitive

Advice to Management

Entrust store managers more

5. "Excellent mission and great environment"

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages part-time

Pros

I worked as a PT Assistant Store Manager for about a year and spent extensive time volunteering prior to that. The company has a wonderful mission and really puts a lot of time and effort into the marketing strategy of sharing artisan stories. For a retail store, it has a very good, non chaotic energy and educating yourself on each item's background is rewarding in itself.

Cons

Pay was relatively low, but understandable for a NFP. It seemed that the corporate team spent a great deal of money on printing costs for marketing materials when most of the materials could be recycled rather than thrown away. Sometimes sale items are drastically marked down, which often made me wonder how this impacts the artisans. I worked for a franchised store (over a corporate owned store) and the attention and value put on franchised stores is much lower. We were often being undercut by corporate discounts from the online store.

Advice to Management

Put consistent effort into making stores successful.

6. "Company with great heart"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, PA

I have been working at Ten Thousand Villages full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated and professional people. More than just a retail company, this company strives to help alleviate poverty. Work is very satisfying.

Cons

Not for profit means pay is not always competitive but mission makes the work rewarding. Resources are sometimes stretched but still a great experience.

7. "Best Retail Job !"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Media, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Media, PA

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and staff to work with and it truly is a peaceful and calming environment.

Cons

The only problem I had while working there was the way the corporate handled some big changes within the company. I felt that they needed to communicate better with that.

8. "Manager"

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages full-time

Pros

Fair-trade retail. Selling the meaning behind the artisans' work.

Cons

Lack of direction . Not enough feedback from direct reports and none from headquarters.

Advice to Management

Reduce prices. Add lower price point items. Support stores more. Inform their employees ahead of time in how they feel their stores are performing.

9. "Great Mission - Poor Executive "Leadership" ( when I was there)"

Former Employee - Administrative in Akron, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Akron, PA

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Praiseworthy mission, vision and values
    2) Most people are dedicated to the mission and not just personal gain
    3) Generally a good work atmosphere
    4) Superb best in class health care benefits!

Cons

1) Upper Management is not fully competent to run stores or a wholesale operation.
    2) Upper Management has passed on highly qualified, motivated and interested professionals but would always find a way to not bring them in - using the excuse that they 'arent a good fit' or 'dont get fair trade'....because they are threatened by them.
    3) The pay is not really competitive

Advice to Management

Bring in some Executives that understand retail and wholesale. I understand that they have recently hired a new CEO who has some real business experience ,leadership skills and vision! The people have some hope now that things will change .This is great news !!!

10. "Amazing cause, wonderful people"

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I served in a part-time role for 3.5 years at the Pasadena, CA store. I worked with wonderful people and passionate customers.

-- Incredible volunteers, supportive community, passionately engaged in fair trade
    -- Social justice mission
    -- Community orientated retail shopping
    -- Wonderful management by Sam Bill and Becca Pratt
    -- Supportive board of directors
    -- Incredible customers who are engaged with the mission and eager to learn more about fair trade
    I love that the store creates a sense of community where people feel like they belong. I loved working here!

Cons

-- Board engagement was sometime lacking, but there are some highly capable people on the board. The board could use some new energy and new people to bring ideas to the table.
    -- I wasn't always able to find roles for every volunteer who came to us. This may have been my fault, or a specific issue with the narrow role of sales associate that many stores are trying to fill for their volunteer roles.

Advice to Management

-- Continue to foster a welcoming, community-centric environment where people are encouraged to learn and love fair trade.
    -- Engage new leadership for the board