Tenaris Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tenaris Chairman and CEO Paolo Rocca
Paolo Rocca

Pros
Cons
  • Chaotic Management and difficult to find a work-life balance (in 59 reviews)

• Lots of bureaucracy, sometimes long hours (in 20 reviews)

1. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Tenaris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to start your career. Great training program and supportive leaders. For nonengineers the marketing group is a great dynamic place to start.

Cons

Upward mobility maybe limited, prefers bilingual (Spanish) leadership team because of the company's international presence.

Advice to Management

Inspire and motivate young analysts.

2. "AP Analyst"

Former Employee - AP Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - AP Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Tenaris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When they finally implemented the half Friday work days, after the manager said it was only reserved for the supervisors...side eye.

Cons

Pay is low, no work life balance, in order to be a manager you have to speak foreign language. Laid off mostly everyone except Expact. Office looks like a call center, everyone can hear the other person's conversation.

Advice to Management

You say you want this to be an "American" company, you do not exhibit an "American" culture. Do not use the "American" company when it's convenient. Until the changes are made, employees will use this a pit stop until they find a better job.

"Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at Tenaris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong engineering culture, effort and commitment as main company's values

Cons

management philosophy is to keep people under pressure

Advice to Management

Make the work environment more friendly

"Lean Workforce. Long Hours Expected"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Tenaris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very driven and intelligent community. I learned a lot very quickly. Training and development is fantastic, especially for hires out of University.

Cons

Long hours are expected. The company preaches work-life balance in the US, but in practice, working 8-5 is all but impossible. Work practices tend to more closely mirror those of the company's roots overseas. Some think preferential treatment is given to the expatriate workforce in the US over US hires.

Advice to Management

Though this may be financially difficult given the state of the industry, either increase workforce, or decrease demand for work. In the US, young talent is fleeing the company like rats from a sinking ship. This is going to create a huge gap in experience akin to what happened abroad to the company in the 1980's.

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Procurement in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Procurement in Houston, TX

I worked at Tenaris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once a quarter you will get a free, soggy half sandwich from Panera while upper management talks to you about how great Tenaris is. You will get a humiliating bonus BUT at Thanksgiving they'll give you a $20 Walmart gift card, so that evens it out.

Cons

Where to begin.... run. Compensation IS A JOKE. What you give to the company does not matter. When I first started, top management told us they wanted Tenaris USA to be an "American company" with Americans in management. When the oil crisis hit, nearly every American over the age of 40 was let go. No expats touched. I spent several years at the company and never once suggested an idea or gave an opinion that wasn't immediately slammed by management. My direct coordinator was good, but management directly above him made life miserable. They are incredibly fake, constantly micromanage every detail, have no trust in employees, do not care about employee development, and have the most passive aggressive communication style. This management is single handedly driving people out. When I put in my two weeks notice, the DIRECTOR of my department and the manager below him never said a word to me or acknowledged my existence for the following two weeks. That part was actually kind of nice.

Nobody wants to stay at this place, especially now that they are expecting the entire company to pick up their families and move to the middle of nowhere, Texas. Because why wouldn't you send your children to bad schools and move your entire life for the good of a company that doesn't care about you? And if you don't go, essentially no severance or unemployment?! I'm beyond thankful to be out.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

7. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cookeville, TN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cookeville, TN

I worked at Tenaris full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company with a great staff. Good pay

Cons

I don't have any cons

Advice to Management

Keep with the current management practices for all employees

"Cronyism > Hard Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Tenaris full-time

Pros

Global vision, sharpen technical skills.

Cons

Much of your career success is attributed to who likes you, not what you've done/your intelligence/efforts. If you want to make moves in this company be sure you know how to "play the game".

Advice to Management

HR needs to choose stronger talent.

"Commercial"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Good Pay and benefits, flexible working schedule

Cons

Worked at Tenaris for 5 years but wanted to quit twice, after 6 months joining the company and another after 2 years. It was a culture shock to me and fortunately or unfortunately decided to stay.
    Will never recommend anyone to work here. Finally out of here

Advice to Management

Grow up guys and employ non-latin and qualified people.

10. "Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Tenaris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good vision health and dental benefits. Company is financially stable. Lots of paid Holidays although you often have to work them. Decent 401k match.

Cons

Stifling bureaucracy and centralization. Endless processes, procedures, rules, and meetings. Foreigners favored for key positions. Little hope for advancement. Poor work life balance. Employees not appreciated and respected. High turnover and low morale.

Advice to Management

Decentralize. Show appreciation for employees and allow for better work/ life balance.

11. "Its OK"

Former Employee - Order Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Order Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Ability to share experience with counter parts from many different parts of the globe. Performed training in Mexico, Argentina, Japan and Singapore. It was an awesome experience

Cons

A lot of red tape within the company. I felt that you need to be one of " them" to be able to have the chance of promotion. Many managers stay in the same position for a very very long time.

Advice to Management

Bring in new blood into the management team