Tenaris Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Tenaris Chairman and CEO Paolo Rocca
Paolo Rocca

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good benefits, coworkers are nice" (in 18 reviews)

• "Great professionals from which you can learn a lot" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Cero work-life-balance, a lot of hours" (in 68 reviews)

• "Long hours, very latin company in the end" (in 24 reviews)

1. "Technical sales engineer"

Pros

Great company and enjoyable to work for

Cons

A lot of Bureaucracy and red tape to get approval

2. "Manager"

I have been working at Tenaris full-time

Pros

stable company with positive outlook

Cons

bureaucratic and slow moving company

3. ""How we do things at Tenaris""

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Bay City, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Bay City, TX

I have been working at Tenaris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cafeteria and very basic free trainings

Cons

-Technical discussions held in Spanish often, impenetrable barrier to learning technical knowledge
    -Salary contracts with unspoken but expected overtime
    -Racist middle and upper management
    -Widespread inside conversations in Spanish about employees and their futures
    -Individual performance bonus system which makes the managers very much inhuman to their workers for a bigger bonus
    - A certain character whose first and last name start with the same letter will micromanage you for no reason other than to give himself and higher ups the appearance of making an effort and applying due vigor while this person has not a shred of understanding of soft power or effective management. He will barge into discussions and attempt to prove his validity by arguing over minutia or criticizing personal characteristics like weight. STAY AWAY FROM HIM.
    -If you are started in maintenance and not an ex-patriate from Venezuela, Argentina, Mexico, or Brazil RUN AWAY!!! Don't get enamored by the starting pay, you only move up if you're a part of the "family" and even then its a very slow rise from there with high workload. This company will not match oil and gas industry pay but will expect undying loyalty to move even one rung up in the ladder. You will have to jump through several hoops to get anything done and when you ask why, the universal answer is "this is how we do things at Tenaris".

Advice to Management

Read these Glassdoor reviews. You have successfully implemented a copy of the mills in smaller countries but how can you expect this greenfield project to work in America when quintessentially all of your middle management and upper management are ex-pats? How can you inspire American talent to stay within the company when you almost exclusively have South American or Italian managers?It does not matter how small of a city, YOU chose to come here. You maybe be the Google or Apple in South America but you're a smaller fish in a much bigger ocean now. Don't believe all Americans are stupid and don't know what's going on. The burden of adjustment is on you, not your employees from this country. Make this a better place to work or don't try to pretend like you are a world class company, your employees are suffering.

4. "Good place to start career"

I have been working at Tenaris full-time

Pros

International travel opportunities, opportunities for advancement, multi-cultural work environment, competitive pay, Tenaris University classes and e-learnings, great products and focus on quality, excellent program in place for recent grads

Cons

Work-life balance preached but not practiced, miles of red tape can make basic functions or requests take longer than necessary, outside hires becoming more common which is driving away talent

"Heavy workload with no future!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Tenaris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Medical benefits for family and retirement.

Cons

Workload for low pay, low interest in employees professional advancement, lack of serious employee retention program

Advice to Management

Change your approach to working in the North American market with business practices and employee growth opportunities or leave the field to the true players!

"Toxic environment to work in"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Tenaris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You learn the hard way which makes you learn a lot because you have to figure out a lot of things yourself
    - The compensation was actually very good for the region I was.

Cons

- Very toxic environment
    - Politics in the company is ridiculous, most of the guys that actually work don't get any credit.
    - No training for personnel with a lot of pressure on you to deliver.
    - Instead of management looking for solutions they prefer looking for a fall guy
    - Management has their favorites and if suggestions are not coming from the favorites they are not acting on the suggestions.
    - Management acts very unprofessional when people resign.
    - The HR was very unprofessional and I often heard my job feedback from co workers instead of hearing it from my manager or the HR. When I ask for unofficial feedback, I was lied to saying my work was fine, not until the official appraisal feedback came that I heard certain things that if told earlier, I could have worked on.
    - I noticed that my appraisal feedback were never looked at and felt my career goals were never considered by the company
    - Very few departments have clear definition of work to be done which gives the opportunity for your appraisal to be based on personnel feelings than the work you actually do.

My advice for anyone coming, make sure you can play the politics game because that is the only way you can survive and negotiate x3 because you are doing a lot of things that are not your responsibilities

Advice to Management

I think the starting compensation in the region I worked is very good and would attract a lot of good talent but the work environment is so toxic that these talent after a short time are already on the market looking for an escape route. My advice is don't treat people like you are doing them a favor, invest in your talent and listen to them. Not everyone is trying to cheat the system. Listen to your people, they are the ones that do the work and know where improvements are needed.

7. "Great place to work at"

Current Employee - BMG Electrical/Electronics Level IV in Bay City, TX
    Current Employee - BMG Electrical/Electronics Level IV in Bay City, TX

I have been working at Tenaris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing training and certifications for all willing to learn and furthere their carrer

Cons

In a very small city, not much to do.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Tenaris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A very diverse company with a strong employee workforce as its main asset. Industrial Excellence and Safety-oriented.

Cons

Lack of support for lateral transition
    Favoritism
    Does not value higher education
    A firm currently going through transformation especially in the US
    Very inefficient purchasing department

Advice to Management

Improve career development plans for employee

"Miserable place to work. micromanaging supervisors who don’t understand American culture."

Current Employee - Maintenance in Bay City, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Bay City, TX

I have been working at Tenaris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tremendous opportunity for improvement. This is a new plant. If you like the idea of implementing solutions that will become part of the foundation of how this site operates for the next few decades, then it’s for you.

Cons

It’s a new plant, there is little structure yet. Management is a joke. Attrition is high because employees aren’t content here.

Advice to Management

Tell your employees what to do, then get out of the way. If we need help we will ask for it. Be more open to suggestions from employees. A lot of us have been in industry for years and have experience that isn’t being utilized to its full potential.

10. "Logistics Analyst"

I have been working at Tenaris full-time

Pros

Build great relationships and network.

Cons

Political and slow to make substantial changes.