Tendril Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Adrian Tuck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place and people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Tendril full-time

Pros

Great coworkers. Very smart group
    Benefits and perks are great

Cons

Open office kind of sucks. But this is the thing that companies sell you one as beneficial these days. Not sure if they still have this going on
    Unlimited vacation is racket. Not sure if they still do this
    Forced group outings is also a beating. Not sure if they still do this either

Advice to Management

Nada. The CEO was good.

"14 Years and Still Struggling to Become?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Tendril full-time

Pros

A solid product foundation that offers many capabilities. If executive leadership could only get out of the squirrel syndrome, who knows what might actually happen.

Cons

Struggling to compete in a dying business where we are not even the top is tough. I understand you have to keep the lights on, but when it is done at the expense of hiring and letting great people go because there are too many irons in the fire with no focus isn't a strategy. It's a death spiral. Leadership says focus today then refocus toward something else tomorrow. The revolving door is tough and we are getting a poor reputation in the industry which saddens me. Leadership also lacks the ability to hear the expertise they hired. They think they understand the business, hire expertise in technology and business then continue to chase squirrels. Executive leadership needs a kick in the butt or a shake up to break the cycle. Most of the exec leadership takes no blame for failure either. They push it down to lower levels leading to more revolving doors. The egos of the exec team are off the chart at times. Not good combinations for leadership. What's worse is they keep hiring people just like them.

Advice to Management

Grow up, and get a plan. It's been 14 years already. Believe the expertise you have hired, give them direction, let them do what they do best....... and quit chasing squirrels already.

3. "Top notch engineering organization and a great place to work"

Former Employee - UI Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - UI Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Tendril full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent engineering processes, management and agile. Suggestions for process changes, technologies utilized, architectural changes, etc from engineers are embraced by management. Methods of implementation are discussed in an open forum with the scrum team and all voices are respected. Very effective agile implementation. Well defined definitions of "done" and ability to define your estimates. Great team work. Great place to work and expand your engineering skills. Some of the smartest people I have ever worked with, particularly Mark Koch. Overall: A+

Cons

When I was with Tendril, there seemed to be a lot of employee turn over. I never really figured out why...

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Director Marketing"

I worked at Tendril (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and excellent location.

Cons

Poor internal communication and infighting amongst from business owners.

5. "Current Review"

I have been working at Tendril full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership with a focus on making the energy sector more environmentally friendly. Great culture, feels like a family. Really interesting work.

Cons

Tendril is on its second wave and as such it is much better than a startup, but it is still going through some growing pains as it organizes with a larger number of employees.

Advice to Management

Stay on course - the triple bottom line is highly motivating to employees. One of our strongest assets is our staff - I'm continually impressed with the quality of the hires. Keep it up!

6. "Exciting, challenging, meaningful"

I have been working at Tendril full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance, opportunity to work with a company making a meaningful impact on big industries, lots of opportunities to learn as much as you want to

Cons

Occasionally caught off guard with changes in objectives, regular growing pains of a young high-tech company.

Advice to Management

Fine tune the day-to-day, execute consistent strategy and execute strategy consistently.

7. "Toughest Job You'll Ever Love"

Current Employee - Management in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Management in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Tendril full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart co-workers, great culture and very good CEO. When I think of Tendril, I think of the Peace Corp's slogan "Toughest Job You'll Ever Love". Tendril is not a place for anyone looking for an easy paycheck. It's for those who believe in the mission, are willing to work to make it happen and want to challenge themselves.

Balancing the hard work are the usual benefits of a start-up. Free food, all hands lunch every Friday, Summer picnic, Holiday Party, swag, and Star Wars pre-screening etc. Open supportive culture. Generous health benefits. Company equity.

Cons

At Tendril you get a lot of freedom to establish the boundaries of your role and how you make your mark. Most everyone says they want that, but it's not for everyone. It means you have to be comfortable with ambiguity, that you're a self starter and don't mind be handed a "blank piece of paper" and asked to figure out the solution. If you want a narrowly defined role, punch the clock and get paid, then Tendril is not a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

Adrian (the CEO) has said Tendril still has a start up mentality and that we need to push for more process, role clarity and accountability as we become a much bigger company. He's right and my advice is that he keep the foot on the gas.

"fun environment, good work"

Pros

* Fun environment
    * good technology, people

Cons

* product quality issues
    * rapidly changing higher management

Advice to Management

* fix product quality issues
    * make higher management accountable.

"Platform Engineer"

Pros

Both technology and business are quite interesting. Strong engineering team with diverse backgrounds and varied interests. "Data Science" is definitely real science here. People all the way to the top of the org-chart are considerate and thoughtful.

Cons

This is an intense workplace with many simultaneous demands. Be prepared to work hard, but there's a culture of recognition which balances this.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employee education/training for the difficult domains and technologies involved, including lightning talks (which are great). Continue to emphasize the human aspects of Tendril, because they are a unique strength.

"It's good to be challenged except when it's not"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Pros

Tendril is not easy - if it was, anyone could do it. And then it would be like many other start ups. I personally am not interested in the status quo. At Tendril, I am seriously challenged daily to up the bar, be more creative, take care of my customers, have fun, attend lots of meetings, sift through emails, hip chats, slack, surveys, tell my manager (and leadership) what I really think and yes, produce. I feel part of a very unique environment where I can make a difference. And if I don't, it's my fault.

Cons

Like I said, Tendril is not easy. You should definitely not work here if you are inflexible, fragile, don't want to help consumers leave smaller footprints, are not bold, are not accountable, can't come up with an original idea and don't want to do the right thing.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. And occasionally let us all take a breather. Isn't it time for a ping pong or corn hole tournament?