Tenneco Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

Tenneco Chairman & CEO Gregg Sherrill
Gregg Sherrill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly environment, advancing possibility, good pay (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits and great employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Wages at the time did not keep up with the market and as with many public companies the vision of upper management was fairly bleak (in 9 reviews)

• Expectations on work-life balance are unreasonable (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Experience in Many Ways"

Current Employee - Sales in Grass Lake, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Grass Lake, MI

I have been working at Tenneco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A solid company with a strong direction from upper management. I was glad for the opportunity to work at a Tier I supplier of such renown. I had a great team that supported my development as best as they were able despite being so busy,

Cons

Long commute to Grass Lake from metro Detroit area, lack of (human) resources means a lot of people with overly heavy workloads, didn't always agree with management direction

2. "Quality is not respected"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Tenneco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment, flexible hours, good salary

Cons

Quality as a function is not respected, they're on an island. It's hard to get help because the quality function is non value add. Grass Lake is in the middle of nowhere.....

Advice to Management

Stop cutting jobs from the plants!

3. "A Great Learning Experience"

Current Intern - Engineering Coop in Jackson, MI
    Current Intern - Engineering Coop in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Tenneco as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a coop student, when working at the North American Clean Air Engineering center, you are rotated through multiple departments within the building. This allows one to learn in grow in many different disciplines within engineering.

Cons

One downside to Tenneco that comes to mind as a coop is the lack of travel opportunity.

4. "Maintenance, Smithville Tn. Plant. Started out very good went down hill quick"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Smithville, TN
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Smithville, TN

I have been working at Tenneco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn other areas of maintenance. Has potential to be better, but know someone who worked in a different plant/state had some of the same issues.

Cons

Alot of management change, want to run the plant department their way, not necessarily by the company hand book. Been here 11 month my schedule has changed 8 times. Had multiple ways to track downtime, while the computer system in place is not used

Advice to Management

Figure out your rules and software (payroll/points and production track) then stick with them.

"Maintenance"

Current Employee - Machine Repair in Kettering, OH
    Current Employee - Machine Repair in Kettering, OH

I have been working at Tenneco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent Pay benefits, big enough company to hopefully not go bankrupt soon..

Cons

Sweat shop mentality, Anyone not in, or Brown nosing management treated like disposable employees

Advice to Management

Quit hiring useless pencil pushers and unneeded clipboard warriers, Actually let your maintenance people fix the problem instead of running scrap to sort later. Painting equipment to make it look pretty does not make it produce better parts.

6. "Great Company with lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Group Leader in Marshall, MI
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Marshall, MI

I have been working at Tenneco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and good pay. A good place to learn and build your skills. A great place for self building opportunities.

Cons

Management needs to listen to long term employees and treat people the same across the board. lots of double standards. Need Management to be more on the floor and make a difference than stay in the office chit-chating about nonsense issues.

Advice to Management

Lots of opportunities to make a real difference if management takes issues more seriously. Need to listen to your employees rather than your managers.

"Great Company"

I have been working at Tenneco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, new machinery and business. Not sure why everyone on here is bashing it. If you work hard and do your best, you reap the benefits. If you slack off and don't follow the rules (easy rules to live by) then don't expect other people to tolerate it. Management is fine despite what everyone thinks......this is one of the best places I've ever worked from the pay, benefits, clean and safe plant, and fair management and supervisors. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Cons

Some long hours, but it's been cut back a lot.

Advice to Management

Spend more time talking to some people about improvement ideas

"Micromanaging At It's Worst!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Grass Lake, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Grass Lake, MI

I have been working at Tenneco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair salary and average paid time off

Cons

This was the most unpleasant, hostile work environment I have ever encountered. The pay seems enticing, but not for the amount of grief one must endure on a daily basis. Significant turnover from executive to hourly employees, probably due to job burnout by the employee. No loyalty to anyone or anything. Managers regularly take credit for their team's work and have no problem hanging their team out to dry when an issue arrises. The tension is palpable, I would never recommend Tenneco to anyone.

Advice to Management

Adapt a culture and stick to it. Phase out the old school rack 'em and stack 'em philosophy and micromanagers then empower employees at all levels to do their job.

"HORRIBLE!!!!!"

I have been working at Tenneco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits.

Cons

Management here is absolutely horrible. They do not know how to put themselves in their employees shoes to see things the way they see them. They treat hourly employees like they are dirt beneath their feet. I used to love this place, loved coming to work, then corporate swept through and changed management, and the people they brought in, were horrible. Moral is gone ,and the Tenneco values are out the door. This place is now filled with Faurcia management, which should give you and idea of just how crappy it has gotten here. Absolute trash. It is a shame that what was once an outstanding company to work for who cared about their employees, is now such a down in the dirt place to work.

Advice to Management

Quit setting upstairs looking down on your employees, go out and interact with them, at least act like you care. And quit making dumb decisions. I do not understand how people with college degrees can be so incapable!

10. "Mechanical Eningeer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Grass Lake, MI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Grass Lake, MI

I have been working at Tenneco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

It is far from major cities.