Tennessee Department of Human Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gina Lodge

1. "You will hardly get a raise because it is federally funded."

Current Employee - Eligibility Counselor in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Eligibility Counselor in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Tennessee Department of Human Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekends off. Normal hours. Holidays off. Work at home opportunities. Great benefits. Discounts on college education and also discounts on vacations.

Cons

Under staffed. Hiring freeze. Not able to move up. Limited raises. Supervisors know less than regular employees. More about "who you know".

Advice to Management

Hire more employees and stop making employees do more work than the rate of pay is given.

2. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Budget Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Budget Analyst in Nashville, TN

I worked at Tennessee Department of Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great exposure to many different aspects of work in the government. I was exposed to every section of the department at least once and met with the entire executive staff several times during my tenure. If you prove yourself, you will get assigned work from all over.

Cons

The number of employees who were just riding out their days until they reached full pension was staggering, making it difficult to get help on projects. It also follows that upward career mobility was difficult, as employees rarely left and were difficult to let go of.

Advice to Management

Regularly take the time to monitor workload, as the amount of work that needed to be done was significantly less than the potential employee output.

3. "Eligibility Councelor II"

Current Employee - Eligibility Counselor II in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Eligibility Counselor II in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

The best reason to work at the State of Tennessee is that I get to help people and see the results of me helping them or getting the help that they need. I get joy out of helping others in need.

Cons

One of the disappointment for working for the State of Tennessee is when you know a person of family is in need but doesn't qualify financially for the benefits that we offer.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to let your employees know that they are valuable to the company. It builds employee morale.

5. "It could always be worse and it will undoubtedly get there at least once."

Former Employee - Eligibilty Counselor I in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Eligibilty Counselor I in Nashville, TN

I worked at Tennessee Department of Human Services full-time

Pros

Great benefits package and job security.

Cons

Catty lifers who hate their jobs, hate the clients and will hate you too if you don't fall in with their line of thinking. Case managers are overloaded with cases and clients. It is IMPOSSIBLE to do your job properly, maintain the timeliness standards and see the clients required/scheduled. Davidson county workers are overworked and under appreciated. Management basically takes suggestions and throws them out the window.

Advice to Management

Implement strategies from caseworks that would improve customer service. It is impossible to return the phone calls of clients when you are seeing 20 new people a day and doing case management from caseloads.

6. "This social services job is not about helping people who need it - it's about customer service."

Current Employee - Eligibility Counselor II in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Eligibility Counselor II in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Tennessee Department of Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are awesome and supportive and the only reason I look forward to going to work each day.

Great benefits!

Cons

Work morale is terrible. Everyone is drowning in work and trying their best to get as much done as possible, and all we hear from management is everything we aren't doing.

Seasoned case workers are seeing 15-20 people a day in addition to all the other case management duties and reports that need to be done. The majority of clients seem to think their case workers have no other clients or work to be done and expect immediate action on anything that relates to their case. Much like retail, if they complain to higher ups, they get exactly what they want.

Advice to Management

Walk a mile in your employees shoes- higher ups are very out of touch with how overwhelming the daily workloads are, and they just keep adding more things to the to do list.

7. "Confused, but doggedly resolute management"

Former Employee - Eligibilty Counselor II Appeals & Hearings in Nashville, IL
    Former Employee - Eligibilty Counselor II Appeals & Hearings in Nashville, IL

I worked at Tennessee Department of Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, leave availability, good coworkers

Cons

Fire/transfer happy governor, it's a crapshoot whether your immediate supervisor will know much about their job.

Advice to Management

Vet your supervisory teams better, they set the tone for everyone under them.

8. "It's government work... you know? Kinda says it all..."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Tennessee Department of Human Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, holidays, flex time

Cons

Lower salaries, un-enthusiastic work environment, disorganized work environment, basic level of apathy

9. "DHS Planner"

Former Employee - DHS Planner
    Former Employee - DHS Planner

I worked at Tennessee Department of Human Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Agency offers a legitimate service to the larger community.

Cons

Lacked opportunity for professional development.

Advice to Management

Identist talented employees and invest in their development.

10. "State of Tennessee"

I have been working at Tennessee Department of Human Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. People care about each other.

Cons

Policies and decisoins change every day.

Advice to Management

Touch base with those on the front lines as you make changes.

11. "Momma's don't let your college graduates graduate and work for DHS"

I have been working at Tennessee Department of Human Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's full time employment. You are off most all federally recognized holidays and every weekend.

Cons

You will work very hard. You will be under appreciated and take the brunt of all complaints by the clients who are at best tyrants and feel entitled. This is a dead end job there is no room for promotion. You will receive few raises and when you do your insurance will go up more and will negate your raise. Management is not forward thinking.