Tennis Channel Reviews | Glassdoor

Ken Solomon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Love my job"

I have been working at Tennis Channel full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to be part of a growing company in an exciting market

Cons

The Tennis season is long and really need to strategize time off

2. "Accountant"

I have been working at Tennis Channel full-time

Pros

Relaxed working environment and very little stress

Cons

In my opinion: low pay, terrible benefits, dumpy office environment

3. "A stepping stone"

I worked at Tennis Channel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some people from bigger companies, but mostly management

Cons

Low pay, no opportunity for advancement, benefits are expensive and no company match for retirement, no usual perks you'd associate with a sports or entertainment environment. Revolving door. They talk a lot about the benefits of working for a small company, but I really didn't see any. Lots of newbies in the company.

4. "Long Hours, Low Pay"

I worked at Tennis Channel full-time

Pros

Free kitchen, flexible lunch schedule.

Cons

Low pay for a job that expects you to be tied to your email and phone 24/7. Management leaves much earlier than their employees. Combine those three things and you get a culture of resentment.

Advice to Management

We have personal lives too

"Left Happier Job to work here. Deeply Regret that decision."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Tennis Channel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well stocked kitchen, free drinks and snacks.

Cons

I have deeply regretted my decision to leave a former employer where I was much happier at to work at the Tennis Channel. The work/life unbalance is not good here. I am daily tasked with work that cannot possibly be completed in a normal 8-hour shift. The expectation is that I stay and work unpaid OT to complete. Regardless, if I have something prior planned in my personal life. The expectation is that the work comes first. end of discussion. A couple unexpected days with heavy assignments? No problem. I am a Team Player and I will stay unpaid hours to complete and get us thru. However, my experience is that this is proving to be the case all of the time and I am feeling taken advantage of. Communication is terrible at this place. As a new employee I have had to pursue all of my own security credentials. I was locked out of the building the 1st week of my employment here because nobody thought to pre-arrange my security clearance to the building past 7pm. And nobody seemed to care. When new security was implemented on the building months later nobody thought to tell me and I found myself locked out of work after returning from my dinner break. I work an evening shift and if I am locked out of the building the only folks that I can call is building security where the response time can be long. It took me a couple days to receive my new security clearance on my own. I had to pursue the solution on my own and nobody showed even the slightest interest in helping me. My 'team' that I work with has consistently failed to answer simple questions related to my job. Oftentimes, they outwardly express impatience and irritability. Sometimes they say that they are too busy to answer my work question at all. I return a 2nd time at a different time that 'feels better' to ask my question again and these same individuals are again 'too busy' As a result, I have had to tip-toe around the unpredictable moods of certain individuals at my office judging if they are 'in a good mood' or 'in a bad mood' to ask simple questions related to my job performance. I do not believe that this is the atmosphere of a healthy work environment. The constant feeling in the office is one of irritability. From an outside perspective looking in, I believe this attitude is the result of many employees including long-time employees being staffed as 'Temps' and as a result them not entitled to health and retirement benefits. There is an attitude amongst these people of anger towards the company. I believe the companies attitude is indifference to the needs of their mid to low level employees. I am the type of employee that understands and is kind and compassionate towards a co-worker if they are having a bad day, a bad week, heck maybe even a bad couple weeks or a month. Some of the folks here, are simply put: having bad lives. If work/life balance is important to you, chances are you will not like working here. If dependable communication is important to you, chances are that you will be disappointed. If hearing a 'thank you' every once in awhile and feeling like you are appreciated is important to you, I am afraid that is not the experience I have had even a single time at this Office. I am actively pursuing new work elsewhere.

Advice to Management

My experience with Management is that I never seem to see them. Their offices are either dark or the door is closed. The person in my shift see's who stays late at the office and who leaves on the bell. I would estimate that 15% infrequently work late. The way in which the channel has stayed pretty much the same over the last 10-years, the creative is lagging behind it's peers, is boring and repetitive, is evidence of the fact that management plays it 'safe' or is outright lazy. My advice to you is the attitude always flows from the top down. In that case Morale must be rock bottom at the top. Take a couple days off to enjoy yourselves maybe get outta town, pay for an hour massage, treat yourself to a nice dinner and then return to work and first thing tell your direct report 'thank you' and how much you appreciate their hard work. You are not the only game in town, and talented people talk to each other and help each other with real information. We refuse to work in toxic environments with dysfunctional co-workers having bad lives. Working in positive work environments has proven that employees can and should be fairly compensated and treated with respect. Would you believe that there is a direct link between happy employees and increased profitability for the company? If you do not believe this than you should not be working in Management.

6. "Good job early in career"

Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Tennis Channel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small-network feel, able to take on a lot of different responsibilities and own assignments from start to finish. Management is accessible and knows everyone.

Cons

Some disorganization and lack of structure overall. Understaffed and behind in digital. Departments aren't good at communicating with each other and working together.

Advice to Management

Communication doesn't flow down the chain of command very easily or naturally--employees are more motivated to do their best if they're aware of some major events happening behind-the-scenes or personnel changes, digital developments, acquisition and company structure changes. I wish there was more positive communication and regular check-ins and feedback with managers openly and directly.

7. "Winning Sports Network"

I worked at Tennis Channel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, friendly and caring senior execs & staff. Small company kept it mostly enjoyable, now part of Sinclair so improved benefits. Major growth in distribution - more subscribers & exposure, higher revenues & better bragging rights. High quality sports production resulting in very enjoyable viewing & increasing ratings.

Cons

Small sized company where salaries and benefits are under market rates. Some improvement under new Sinclair ownership.

"Proceed with caution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Tennis Channel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty decently stocked kitchen, a few select individuals were enjoyable to work with

Cons

The work-life balance was completely out of order, senior-level management had no long-term strategies or goals and it showed through their lack of experience

Advice to Management

Don't be cheap and expect employees to shoulder the load of 3 different jobs

9. "Pretty good company with freedom to work independently with little supervision."

Former Employee - Day of Air Coordinator in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Day of Air Coordinator in Culver City, CA

I worked at Tennis Channel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great swag, excellent 4x10 schedule and management hands off. Lots of overtime and fairly good pay.

Cons

Little growth and had to cover overnights due to lack of staffing. Schedule revolves around tennis events worldwide (lots ov overnights)

Advice to Management

Increase in pay for amount of work accomplished. Operations group rarely recognized and opportunity advancement not good (5 yrs and no advancement and only cost of living pay increase).

10. "Programming Coordinator"

I have been working at Tennis Channel full-time

Pros

You learn a lot of the field of programming. It was also an eye opening experience in the field of television and how departments interact and work together to execute television programming on the air.

Cons

Team moral is not the best and people are not open to socialize. Job opportunities and growth are limited to the company being very small for a television network.

Advice to Management

My advice is that they need to invest more in the employees and bring camaraderie within departments. Additionally, there should be more opportunities for growth and bonuses so employees have incentives to work harder.