Teracore Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Luis Perez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great small company with a lot of heart"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Teracore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One key strength of Teracore is they hire great people who have skills, able to carry their own weight, and foster teamwork. The corporate leadership and project managers are all very human and understand the challenges life brings both professionally and personally. The organization is flat and without barriers to communication. Everyone can feel comfortable reaching out to anyone else in the company for help or guidance. They also continually work to grow and improve they employee engagement programs covering career paths, training, and mentoring programs. The CEO is particularly down-to-earth and truly does care about his employee's well being.

Cons

As is typical with consulting firms, it's hard to get that bigger sense of corporate belonging because more often than not you are working from the client locations. Teracore does, however, do a good job of creating a community through happy hours, organizing community service activities, corporate outings to see the Nationals play, annual events like a summer picnic and year-end Holiday parties and the like.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, continue to keep an employee focus - it's your strength.

2. "Not the worst but certainly not the best"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Teracore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are smart and hardworking, client site is pleasant, benefits decent, lots of online training available. Community involvement and volunteer service events is good. Work is steady.

Cons

Not a lot of great management. Leadership seems involved, although you rarely see any of them if you work on a client site (like most of the company does). Lots of negative outlooks from colleagues which makes for a long day.

Advice to Management

Pretend to care about your workforce. It's apparent that the people who have a longer tenure are much more favored than anyone who has been working for less than 2 years. Job duties I was hired for is nothing like the work I'm actually doing so be more specific about expectations. Have leadership interact with client site employees more often.

3. "Consultant"

I have been working at Teracore full-time

Pros

Great relationship with supervisors, HR, and other peers.

Cons

PTO limitations, working remotely, bonus potential

"Great Company, Cares about Clients and Staff alike"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Teracore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best companies I've worked for. The work-life balance is good, and they encourage employee engagement on the "corporate" side of the house. This is a very flat organization, if you want to have coffee with the COO or CEO then they are happy to oblige and will have a real and honest talk to you about your future with the company. They were forthright with me about my career path, what I needed to do to move up within the company (or outside of the company to grow as a consultant) and they opened doors for me to do exactly that. Most importantly, when it was time to part ways based on a new opportunity, we did so amicably, and I was offered encouragement and a promise that I could always reach out for guidance in the future.

With regard to performance, this company isn't just "butts in seats". They care about performance, and accept nothing but the best from their employees. This expectation acts as motivation for those willing to self-start and work hard, and it acts as a mechanism for removing the chaff resources. Teracore is a good place to work if you want to excel and do high-quality work in a manageable work-life setting.

Bottom line: great company to work for and a 100% non-cynical approach to management (with clients and staff).

Cons

Right now I cannot think of any big downsides except sometimes you're subject to clients who aren't so great. If you can handle government clients (it's a people-oriented business) and you can use a soft-skill oriented approach to client management, then you're fine.

Advice to Management

Keep touting the opportunities to connect with upper level management regarding career development. This is underutilized by lower-level employees but middle employees really see the benefit. If more entry-level and lower level employees took advantage, then Teracore could take advantage of growth from within.

"Great work environment, great management."

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Teracore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teracore's management shares it's employee's concerns about creating and maintaining a welcoming work environment and makes it a priority to create this environment for its employees at all levels of the company. The ability to be a team player and and communicate well with your peers and superiors is a key aspect of being a productive contributor in this company.

Cons

Working with some federal employees can, at times, be challenging. If you can handle that, the hard part is over and you can look forward to working within a fun and welcoming company culture.

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Teracore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As long as u are on a project on client site you are OK.

Cons

Project are under staffed , people work long hours without getting paid for overtime

Advice to Management

Need to take care of consultants long term to grow business and not remain a bodyshop

"Some really great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The CEO has a big heart and genuinely cares about his employees. There are others too who share in the work/life balance set forth by the CEO.

Cons

If you like the Federal space and can tolerate the frustrations with working with government clients, then Teracore is a good place to be.

"Sr. Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Teracore (Less than a year)

Pros

The management staff is excellent!!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees like you do.... Terrific!!!

"Best company to grow with as a working mother"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Teracore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, work/life (socially responsible) balance, team and management support, salary plus bonus, locations around DMV, inside and outside training and growth encouragement.

Cons

If the client does not need you, you may be out of a job if you haven't made your work strong enough to be placed on another project. Key: Be ready, willing, and able to help so you learn as much as possible.

Advice to Management

Enforce teleworking options when available

"An inflexible, ageist "boys' club" not suitable for millennial talent or young mothers"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Teracore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Corporate and personal development bonuses are provided; most employees receive the bonuses regardless how much effort they put into either

- Employees on the ground level (not management) really bond together. There's the sense that everyone is in the same unfortunate situation together, and regardless the cause of the collaboration, its there

Cons

- No telework. Teracore's policies say telework is at the discretion of the client, which is a lie. Even with written permission from the client the company's Vice President vetoes telework.

I asked to work remotely on a permanent basis and was told that I couldn't, even when my client didn't mind. At the time, full-time remote work was written into my contract and our subcontractor was taking advantage of it. By the time I'd finally received a "no" from Teracore (a full year later) the policies had changed and it was too late to be grandfathered in

- Every young (20-40) mother leaves this company, and it makes sense. There is no maternity leave other than the unpaid leave the government mandates, and this company is about "butts in seats."

- At Teracore, "millennial" is a dirty word, and it applies to everyone under the age of 50. This is especially true if you're a woman. To be under 50 and a woman is to be underutilized and seen as ignorant, regardless how many years of experience, how many degrees, or how great your ideas are

- No salary increases other than the 2% cost of living increase, no matter what you do

- No support. I've been trying to get new staff to support my team for years and upper management doesn't seem to care how overworked I am or how much I do to ensure the company is surviving (document facilitation, talking the company up to the clients)

- No education benefits. Teracore wouldn't even pay for me to join a client's association.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, they are your only asset