Teradata Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Teradata President and Chief Executive Officer Vic Lund
Vic Lund

Pros
Cons
  • Sometime work life balance is missing (in 16 reviews)

• Some of upper management doesn't seem to have the same vision as the CEO (in 19 reviews)

"Account Executive"

Pros

Good brand name, lots of smart technical people working there.

Cons

Not in touch with today's market for their products, losing market share and customers.

"Stay away from this company"

I worked at Teradata full-time

Pros

Good Technology.
    Reasonable work life balance.

Cons

Engineering management in the bay area has no idea either about management or technology. Leader is more interested in marketing himself upward rather than doing the right thing for the product/company/people.
    Highly political environment in the bay area with rewards to the "inner circle" rather than by merit.
    Absent or incompetent HR in bay area.

Advice to Management

Cleanup engineering leadership in bay area. Hire someone who will care about the company, product and people.

"My Web Dev Group Was Fired"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in San Carlos, CA
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Teradata as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- great Parking
    - Comfortable Office Space
    - Kitchen: some junk from Costco, sometimes free Tuesday lunch, ping pong and Foosball tables that I never used

Cons

- My entire group was terminated their contracts with no advanced warnings. We were contacted over the weekend and told that our contracts were terminated immediately. When asked for the reason we were told "Change of directions and need for evaluation"
    - Key people in management have suddenly resigned.
    - Turmoil in the company with management leaving. No clear directions. The newly hired Management has no knowledge of Agile, already in progress and is moving the process to nothing but a pure dictatorship with direct Micro-Management. Any communication with the new Management is a deception and straight forward lies.
    - New Management employs dirty spying and reporting tricks and manipulation of workers under them
    - No Agile. No transparency into anything (management decisions, product objectives, hiring and firing decisions... nothing)
    - Food: crappy cheap coffee machine and stale coffee beans
    - The product we were building will fail critical delivery to the market due to the issues
    - There's no culture and no values

Advice to Management

Management needs to hire new talent and gain more current experience on how to run development teams and process. Maybe their summer interns would give better advise.

"If Office Space were a documentary, it would have been filmed at here."

Former Employee - Digital Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Teradata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They've got plenty of money, so they're not going out of business any time soon? Generous stock plan?

Honestly, I'm reaching... there's not many.

Cons

I came to work at Teradata after my small marketing agency was acquired by them. While my direct managers were amazing (we'd worked together pre-acquisition), I never felt that the organization-at-large positioned my division as a whole for success.

My experience with Teradata is pretty well summed up by the time I spent a year with my immediate supervisor trying to get the Cloud Services division to set an FTP up for our clients and a dedicated server for us to run data analysis and development tests. When we finally accepted that we wouldn't get the FTP and got sick of begging for the tools to do what we needed to do, we asked for a desktop machine that I could keep at my desk to use for things that my laptop wasn't beefy enough to handle:

• IT: "What precautions will you be taking to ensure the data you'll be putting on this machine remains secure?"

• Me: "I won't be enabling wifi on it. It's going to be hard-wired to my laptop at my desk and only accessible via SSH login using the public RSA key on my Teradata laptop... Also, the drives will be encrypted, so even if someone were to physically remove them from the machine, they wouldn't be able to get anything from them."

• IT: "OK, but what would you do to secure it?"

• Me: "Isn't that what I just told you?"

• IT: "What if someone tries to hack into it?"

• Me: "Are you serious?"

• IT: "What if someone tries to hack into it? We take security very seriously, you know."

• Me: "Umm... if someone tried to break into the computer that's sitting on my desk, only accessible by my laptop, and then only while the two are physically connected? I don't know... I guess I'd ask them how they got past door security and tell them to get out of my seat."

It's a lot like that. (And, we never did get that machine.)

Also, the pay sucks (58% of the Bay Area average for my position), you get one week (that's five days) of paid vacation in your first year, their stock is tanking (down about 50% from a year ago), and they'll drug test you.

Advice to Management

• Competence is worth far more than loyalty.
    • Empower all of your employees for success.
    • Make more effort to attract and retain actual talent.
    • Your employees are human beings with families that miss them.
    • Be more sensitive about your employees' needs in their specific markets... San Francisco is a vastly different beast from Dayton or Indianapolis.

"Not Family or single Parent Friendly"

I have been working at Teradata full-time

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

Low pay long hours no balance between work and family life. If you are a single parent stay away from the company. I'm a divorced parent and was told that I need to go back to court and adjust my visitation with my child cause the job is more important. Honestly what company would tell someone that? Teradata is a joke!

"Old, old, old, ..."

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Andover, MA

I worked at Teradata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some great core technology and a fairly large company for the tech sector. Also somewhat of a lifestyle company with many employees that have been there for 20 years or more and have 6 weeks vacation, live in obscure remote locations, etc.

Cons

Pay is below market. Culture is an accounting culture internally, although customers have historically been rabid technologist fans. But internal systems are incredibly manual and In the last several years they are being bypassed by all of the hot new open source, cloud, hadoop, noSQL, etc. technologies that has made for a steady decline in their core business.

Advice to Management

Use cash or stock to buy your way into some of the new db, cloud, analytics areas. And put some focus on putting systems and process(reduce mostly) internal that makes Teradata a world class place to work - used to be true, but have lost it in the last 10+ years.

"Thankful to be gone"

I worked at Teradata full-time

Pros

smart people, used to be a great product

Cons

No strategy for growth. Too much time spent on academic projects with zero desire from customers. Leadership became increasingly secretive, never would address questions in a straight forward way. Too focused on hardware. Engineering has zero direction and zero innovative thinking.

Advice to Management

Too late...the ship is half-way sunk already.

"Not a good time to join.."

Pros

Some good people from legacy companies, virtual working is part of the culture

Cons

Does not understand the applications business
    Disorganised/too much admin/meetings

Advice to Management

Need to restructure to deliver success for Applications - rather than try and run an applications business like a mini warehouse

"A once good company gone bad"

Pros

people, work-life balance, and the flexibility

Cons

pay and the decision upper management makes

"Good company going bad fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Teradata full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The technology for the data warehousing is some of the best in the market. They have been a Gartner leader for many years.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. The senior management is what has been left over from NCR. They have nothing original to add and the sense I had was that they were coasting to retirement. There has been nothing innovative about the company in 10-15 years. The sales teams are so bloated that they send 10 people to every meeting and no one can make a decision. HR is clearly there for the senior managers and not the employees. The Board of Directors really need an update and someone who actually has seen an App or can log onto their computer without their grandchild or assistant doing it. The only people that have added to their teams is sales and R&D. Of course, sales has been adding at such a dramatic amount, it is a wonder that the company has any cash left. Which, by the way, watch their SEC filings. It will not be good for a while and they have depleted their cash by buying companies that don't fit (Aprimo being the biggest and most expensive of those). Also, anyone seen a change in upper management after that disaster? Nope.

Advice to Management

The board and the CEO need to retire and actually give up their death grip on the company. Most of the senior management needs to be replaced so that something fresh can begin at the company. They have taken a great company (actually more than one) and driven them into the dirt.