Find jobs for Manufacturing Engineer

Terex Corporation Manufacturing Engineer Reviews

Updated May 11, 2021

Found 36 of over 676 reviews

3.6
Terex Corporation Chief Executive Officer and President John L. Garrison, Jr (no image)
John L. Garrison, Jr

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Terex Corporation and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Incredible internship opportunity

Aug 21, 2019 - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

TDLR; work here. It’s incredible. I worked for Genie, Inc. (a Terex Brand) in building 8 in Redmond, WA as a manufacturing engineering intern. Here I was a part of the MTS - NPD (Manufacturing Technical Services - New Product Development) team, which is different from other manufacturing engineering teams (others include line support, etc.). It's just what it sounds like: we develop new manufacturing processes for the new products being designed by the mechanical engineers who are also in NPD. This was my personal experience, in no particular order: Real team involvement: Working here was not like any other internship. At Genie you get treated as a real member of the team of engineers, with the opportunity of taking ownership of real responsibilities within the major project. There's no sense at all of being lower than everyone else and there are absolutely no menial tasks such as getting coffee for your boss or other "typical" intern responsibilities. Great coworkers: Everyone here wants to see each other succeed and we all work together to get there. As an intern new to the company and the field in general, I was always asking for help, and people were always happy to stop whatever they were doing to give me a hand. I was always given great detail to the point of actually understanding what to do. Outside of work, we would often get together for drinks around town and would converse at company events. I look forward to being able to have these people as professional contacts for my future. Chill environment: This Genie campus has multiple buildings with multiple products being made on production lines, and in buildings where this happens things can understandably get hectic at times. However, while these other buildings on the Genie campus are kind of densely packed on the inside with 100+ workers per building and lots of equipment filling the space, our building only had around 40 workers in a building of the same size, in a much more open space. Things are always changing in this building as new processes are continuously being developed, and everyone works together towards common goals. Work always changing: Working for MTS, there is a lot of hands-on and a lot of being at the desk; it’s pretty split down the middle. We all had really big desks with multiple monitors connected to a removable company laptop within an open-cubicle sort of layout. I worked at the computer for CAD, analysis, instructional, and overall preparatory-type work, and went to the floor to execute said prep. I got to weld, laser-cut, 3D print, and use the saws, and was able to put in machining orders for more complex parts to be made by dedicated machine shop staff. There was a lot of laying things out, assembling, and fabricating to be done. Company exposure: There is a lot going on within Genie and on our campus specifically. As an intern, it’s a lot to take in at once. Genie management really reconciles this by giving lots of opportunities to spend time at other buildings (and facilities in other cities) getting tours and shadowing professionals, taking company “classes,” watching training videos on the “Terex U” website, and getting trained on lifts and machinery. The intern program is also amazing (I credit the incredible HR staff for this) which took us through a “foundations” course during the first week, along with multiple tours and fun trips worth bragging about throughout the summer (we went to the Mariner’s game and river rafting, all paid for!). We got to meet higher-ups including the VP of HR, Paul Smith, and the President, Matt Fearon. Great pay rate, lots of hours: As an intern I worked 4x10’s (10-hour days M-Th) at $22/hr with overtime ($33/hr) encouraged each week on Fridays and occasionally after-hours M-Th. Work days were from 530am-4pm. I am typically a night owl, so this was my only con. I got used to it pretty quick though. My supervisor was very lenient on this start time for us and gave us from 5am-6am to actually arrive. There was no real clocking-in (just entering it in online manually) so it was just an honor system pretty much, which everyone seemed to live by. Big company yet still growing: Genie is a company that is bigger than it seems to realize (or at least advertise). In other words, they act very modest, in a good way. It’s a company that is very recognizable and looks great on a résumé, but knows that it has a lot of room to grow and improve along the way. This growth is very clear to see over time, and as an engineer I often had discussions with coworkers about how things in our facility and on our products could be better in the future. Safety: Genie is a lean manufacturing-driven company. By truly following the lean philosophy, they are very dedicated to safety on and away from the workplace for employees and customers. On pretty much each wall there are posters regarding the Terex “safety saves lives” concept, each with the same core values a Terex employee or user is expected to follow. There are “5S” safety expectations and everyone does their own assigned part to keep the facility clean and free of hazards. Employees aren’t even allowed to lift more than 40lb by themselves, and require some sort of lifting device (such as a forklift) to lift beyond this (two people can lift up to 80lb together). PPE is required in most buildings at all times while on the shop floor. Workers will notice and kindly remind you as soon as they see you missing something or doing something against the core safety expectations. By making sure everyone is on the same page with all of this, working for Genie always feels safe and well-kept. Location: Moving to Redmond, WA from Eugene and Corvallis, OR was not a very big change at all for me. The environment feels very valley-like as I am used to, however it is closer to a big city (Seattle) so there is a good amount more people/traffic. Living close to work (< 10min drive) has been very convenient for me, as I have heard from others who live all the way in the U district of Seattle that the commute every day is not ideal. I like the town, but it’s always hard to tell how much you like a new town after only a few months. Definitely has a lot to offer.

Cons

There honestly are not many cons to this job that come to mind. Getting used to the early mornings was a struggle for a few weeks, but I committed to going to sleep around 8 or 9pm and never slept through my alarm. For a night owl, this wasn’t easy right away. The only other con was the for the first two weeks or so I was on the phone all the time with our IT department trying to get access to certain programs and files. I would have preferred if this access was on my computer already before getting to my desk on the first day, however accessing IT was made very easy over the phone and with an online “service now” app, so I really can’t complain too much.

Internal Communications Manager - Terex AWP

We are glad to hear your internship was a positive experience. Our Early Talent program immerses high potential students in challenging, real-world projects that directly help drive business results at our global company. We firmly believe that pairing our culture of continuous improvement and our commitment to purposeful innovation with the diverse and creative mindset of students in our Early Talent program benefits everyone — our team members, our business, participants in the internship program, and our customers.

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Decent Place to work

May 8, 2021 - Manufacturing Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Safety is priority -Creative freedom for manufacturing engineers -Friendly Management

Cons

-Corporate Terex makes executive decisions without consulting with lower tiers which ultimately leads to projects setup for failure. -You never know if you'll have a job next year, corporate is always downsizing and moving assembly lines to low-cost countries. -Pay is always below average -Job retention for engineers is extremely low (Right now we're losing an engineer every week)

Director, Corporate Communications

Thank you for your nuanced and thoughtful review. It's good to see you value our culture of safety, and creative freedom for manufacturing engineers. The team has gone through a difficult time, enduring COVID-19 and our industry going "on hold" for much of 2020. Business is coming back in 2021, and we are working to bring in additional engineers and other roles, and we look forward to a strong year and a brighter long term. We hope you will stay the course and share your ideas with your leaders and teams.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great for growth

Mar 8, 2021 - Manufacturing Engineering Technician II in Oklahoma City, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for team member growth. Competitive pay and yearly bonuses. Matching 401K contributions. Safety is #1 always. Practices lean manufacturing principles.

Cons

Schedule inconsistencies due to materials not arriving on time. Must be able to be very flexible for overtime hours as production rates rise or drop.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Quite the experience.

Apr 22, 2021 - Manufacturing Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some weeks, you can rely on having a 3 day weekend. ("10" hour days, Monday through Thursday).... If the economy is doing well, there's room for growth.

Cons

It seems the role should be titled manufacturing technician. Most functions are very basic. Employee retention issues existed throughout all levels.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Decent Experience

Feb 2, 2021 - Manufacturing Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, growth opportunities, safety focused

Cons

High turnover, cyclical business, some locations very noisy and dirty

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A good place to work

Nov 10, 2020 - Manufacturing Engineer II in Rock Hill, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Management, good pay, a great team

Cons

Business is cyclic through the year

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great opportunity to learn

Aug 1, 2020 - Manufacturing Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great potential to have impact and improve the product.

Cons

Production numbers trump all issues.

Thank you!

8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good Place to work

Aug 3, 2020 - Manufacturing Engineer in Watertown, SD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits including health and dental

Cons

Tough to progress and somewhat disorganized

Director, Corporate Communications

Thank you for this feedback. We are glad you are having an overall positive experience and that the benefits are a "pro" for you. To navigate your career within Terex, don't be shy to give candid feedback to your supervisor and HR, and be sure to list your interests and career aspirations in the TTMS internal database - it really does get read!

9. 4.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

A Great place to work

Jul 29, 2019 - Manufacturing Engineer in Rock Hill, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Semi laid back environment, lunch and learns every month, management makes you feel valued and respected, easily able to interact with other employees, and four 10s means for 4 day weekends.

Cons

Overtime has not been an option while I have been here and No onsite IT

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Good Place to Work

Aug 16, 2019 - Manufacturing Project Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of opportunities to participate in the shop floor activities. Great results oriented team culture.

Cons

Felt the pay was low for the job. Promotions were hard to come by.

Internal Communications Manager - Terex AWP

At Terex, we are committed to a culture of continuous improvement — this means giving our team members the tools and opportunities to grow and develop with us in support of their career goals. Our goal is to be the best place to work in the industry, as judged by our team members. Thank you for your feedback; we take seriously all feedback and evaluate how to use that input to help us continue to improve as an employer.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 36 Reviews