Cover image for Terex Corporation

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Terex Corporation Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Sep 17, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 840 of over 842 reviews
3.7
78% Recommend to a Friend
88% Approve of CEO

Found 24 of over 842 reviews

3.7
Terex Corporation Chief Executive Officer and President John L. Garrison, Jr (no image)
John L. Garrison, Jr

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Oversea management was poor.(in 27 reviews)
  • "Business is very cyclical, layoffs every few years so job security is an issue(in 19 reviews)
  • "Low salary; and nothing else I can think off right now(in 14 reviews)
  • "The upper management seems not knowing what they are doing.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Minimal training, they preach training but only select few get factory training, safety goes out the door when the meeting is over, been asking for things to make our jobs safer for almost a year and yet to be seen even after a death in Texas.(in 10 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Terex Corporation and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Culture and Mobility

Sep 23, 2015 - Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

In 10 years I have met less than a handful of unprofessional people at Terex AWP - Genie. This is a surprisingly small amount of people compared to other places I've worked. Upper management is mostly approachable and the culture of LEAN improvements is prevalent. How to fix a mistake, or problem, tends to be the first question and not who made the mistake or problem. Process Improvements not People Problems. Plenty of room to move around the company and if needed move up or move to other divisions.

Cons

As in most companies job satisfaction tends to be directly related to one's direct supervisor or manager. Occasionally one gets promoted that shouldn't or a bad hire at the management level happens. Even a rare bad manager can cause serious morale problems and there seems to be no real way to offer feedback about upper management. Hiring a backfill position can take a long time and that puts more stress on the other employees in that department.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Terex Corporation Response

Thanks for reaching out to Glass Door. A commitment to continuous improvement isn’t just one of our “Terex Way” values – it’s a mindset that can be seen just about anywhere you go throughout Terex. Let’s face it: isn’t it more fun and rewarding to try to make something better? Because of this, Terex tends to attract team members who are open to new experiences, which can lead to some interesting – even unexpected -- career opportunities. While no hiring process is foolproof, we work very hard to ensure that the candidates we hire in all capacities are not only technically qualified but well-suited to the Terex environment. When you are successful, we are successful. Although we strive to fill open positions as quickly as possible, we think that taking the time needed to make these decisions is time well spent. Terex Human Resources

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Company needs works...

Sep 17, 2021 - Supply Chain in Redmond, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Generous personal time. Flexible work schedule. Good benefits. Great coworkers.

Cons

Never-ending management changes (restructurings) leads to power struggle between new and current management creating unclear expectations. Not focused on continual improvement like they were years ago. Their focus is on bottom line cost, stockholders and stock price. No commitment to quality supply chain, causing line shutdowns and product deterioration. Middle management is mostly a mouthpiece for the upper management decisions. Tends to gloss project status to upper management that may need serious attention. Not really supporting innovation. Lack of support of IT programs. Seems like each new IT mgr. brings their own tech programs and at times we had numerous ticketing systems. Offshore IT help doesn’t understand the company’s needs. A good example of their attitude towards team members is to read the repugnant ‘Terex Corporate Responses’ to some really honest detailed reviews. Terex HR is human turnstile machine, defends the company “Terex Way” values that corporate itself are exempt from while debasing employees.

Director, Corporate Communications

It is good to hear that you appreciate your job’s “generous personal time, flexible work schedule, good benefits, and great coworkers.” The positive job attributes you describe didn’t come about in a vacuum. Terex benefits from strong leadership, especially critical during a time of challenge and change in our industry, and of course the impacts of a global pandemic. The senior corporate leaders (including IT) have been in place for over five years, consistently implementing our strategic plan. The goal is to ensure a bright future for the Company and our team members. The team indeed is focused on quality and supply chain, and by all objective standards they have done a remarkable job navigating the global supply chain disruptions. Yes, we are focused on our Terex Way values and the absolute importance of safety – these are top priorities. We agree with you about the importance of Servant Leadership, a quality that our CEO embodies and advocates for passionately. And, yes, we are focused on delivering for shareholders, which include many of our own team members who may be enrolled in a Company-matched retirement savings plan. If you would like to share your ideas in more detail, please feel free to reach out directly to your Human Resources leader.

3. Join the Terex Corporation team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Mixed Experiences

Feb 2, 2021 - Director in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great colleagues. Respectful work environment, Very, very quiet workplace in the office. Decent pay at most levels. Good work/life balance. Huge commitment to safety.

Cons

Upper management giving sometimes conflicting directions with serious repercussions for the company, employees and their families. Employees at all levels are treated as $$$ and disposed of when the company stock price goes down.

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Management need to do a better job!

May 31, 2020 - Senior Project Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

For a long time I did not feel lot politics in the organization culture that slows down the work productivity. Employee are allowed to make many decisions (sometime more than they should).

Cons

The upper management seems not knowing what they are doing. Things happened out of their expectation in company business. So there were lot unexpected bad news. The middle management only serves to pass along upper management decisions. They were rarely able to explain what was going on. The lower management don't care as much as they should. They waste lot of money in projects. Few projects are completed in time. Project owners changes/lost quickly and the last owner is the one blamed for all mistakes. While wasting million of dollars in projects, management asks employee to save printing paper. Capable engineers and leaders are fired (to save money?) and low competent (low pay) people are kept.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Ok for an entry level job, but not a place to make your career

Aug 4, 2020 - Mechanical Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had some great coworkers-that is the biggest pro. Most coworkers are helpful and willing to teach. Decent benefits in terms of 401k match, PTO, ESPP, insurance. Schedule and work life balance were good, but that is unique to design engineering and I can't say the same for production groups. You can be very hands on if you want to be. If you are the right personality and in the right place/time, you can get decent resume building experience (but there is limited opportunities for this)

Cons

In terms of compensation, they are not industry leaders and relative to the area are not competitive-so you don't work here for the money. Consistent underachievement of company wide financial goals results in layoffs every few years-you won't find stability for a long term career if that is what you hope for. In terms of career development, it's hit or miss. If you are in new product development (which typically you have to earn you way there putting your time in sustaining engineering), there are better opportunities to do engineering. If you are in sustaining engineering, unless you are one of the few mentioned above, career development is not great; putting out fires of production related issues, designing brackets, using excel to make BOM and configuration changes, part manual redlines-hardly the stuff that impressive resumes are made of or that will take you places. A few managers really are great, many were just average at best, but there also some that are like frat boys in a good ole' boys club, where if you are within their circle, you have it made . Reviews entail objectives that are generically and broadly cascaded down from upper management and your performance is rated at least in part on areas completely outside of your sphere of influence. Internal career development/promotions can be challenging/frustrating. If you want a promotion, you have to basically being doing the workload of the job title that you want before you get the official title and pay scale that come with it.

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

CEO is interested in bottom line only, he was brought in to cut jobs and that's exactly what he's doing.

Feb 13, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are great, they are supportive and helpful. Production lines work hard to produce a competitive, quality product. Good benefits - 5% 401k match, medical, dental, vision, and other insurance available. Employee stock purchase available.

Cons

Nepotism is high. People placed in roles they are not even close to qualified for, and those that are great at their jobs leave. Or the company shuts down whole departments or divisions and moves them to the south where there is cheaper labor but also lower quality. That's their choice, but they are getting what they are paying for - no experience, but cheap. There is absolutely no loyalty to employees by upper management so why employees stay loyal to Terex is a mystery. This company will be split up and sold off within the next year or two.

10 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Inside my department was an amazing learning experience ,outside of that ....... run

Aug 3, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working in a department with very few people is great, leadership in this department was strong and supportive giving the 2 individuals the knowledge to grow and challenged us daily.

Cons

If you are not part of the inner circle you are nothing to this site. Upper management is lacking in areas that can not be fixed without change of personnel. With leadership on site steering the ship in multiple ways for personal gain, the middle level and below are the ones that suffer. Promotions are handed to individuals that are part of the inner circle at a drop of a dime, with those individuals taking all credit for hard working individuals behind. When a culture promotes safety first but, cares about the product going out the door more than the individuals putting machines together this is what you get. The pay is below standard on industry anywhere from 10-20k based on individuals coming out of college so they will be able to lowball. Use this as a stepping stone for future endeavors it can be a great learning experience and resume builder but, be prepared for major hurdles and little to no teaching from senior operation leaders.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 2.0

No future at Terex

Aug 24, 2019 - Research and Development Engineering Technician in Oklahoma City, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

My boss was fair and used logic as much as he was aloud. I've never had a better boss! My coworkers were top notch. When I started there the pay was pretty good. Benefits were somewhat competitive for the industry.

Cons

As I stated above, MY boss was fantastic. His bosses and the rest of upper management were totally disconnected, and out of touch with reality. Communication between departments was nonexistent, and the whole place seemed to be in a constant state of change. The CEO would state what he wanted our company to be like, and the upper management in OKC would just do whatever they wanted. Constant finger pointing. It was almost like they were trying to run the company into the ground with no regard for the employees. My starting pay was good. But there was literally nothing in place that even resembled a career ladder. No tech 1, tech 2, tech 3, Team Lead. Nothing.

Director, Corporate Communications

Thank you for your comments about your manager. The Company's commitment to our Terex Way values is heartfelt and very much a part of all we do. We understand that your facility underwent a great deal of change as we exited a line of products. Many of the team members were successfully placed in new jobs on site with other product lines. Our CEO visited the site regularly and participated in team and skip-level meetings to share information with the team. The new site leadership is working hard to align communications. Our Oklahoma City team continues to be a highly important part of the Terex manufacturing footprint.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good overall, but not for everyone

Dec 2, 2015 - Senior Design Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture, friendly people, and overall a solid place to work. There are a lot of "lifers" who stay with the company for a very long time (with good reason).

Cons

Salaries for most not on par with the area. Management reluctant to staff appropriately for cost reasons, so many people are perpetually overworked and on the verge of burning out. Too much restructuring of upper management. Unstable (very cyclical) business results in mass layoffs balanced by frenzies of growth.

11. 2.0

Long term Planning

Oct 14, 2019 - Engineer - New Product Development in Oklahoma City, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

Acceptable compensation package. Friendly environment.

Cons

I has hired along with many others for new product development and within 12 months the entire product line was sold off. At the very least this shows a really poor long term outlook or difficulty making the hard decisions on the part of upper management. It's pretty much the typical publicly traded company that lives for whatever the next quarterly results require to appease stockholders. It's a shame because the potential is obvious, but the execution is flawed across the board.

Director, Corporate Communications

Earlier in 2019, the Company made a difficult call and exited several cranes product lines that had become unprofitable. When the decision was made, we moved as many OKC team members as possible into other roles at the plant. Changes like this can be disruptive, which we understand, but as a team we have moved forward and are focused not only on supporting the business but also on making OKC the best working environment it can be.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Reviews

Terex Corporation logo

Affiliated Companies

Terex Corporation Careers

Cover image for Terex Corporation

"As a software engineer in the Controls team I have loved the opportunities and flexibility I have at Terex. I have had the opportunity to...More

• Terex Way Values
  • Benefits
  • Citizenship
  • Zero Harm

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

127 days ago

Company News
Terex Corporation Released Strong Earnings Results for Q2 2022! CFO Julie Beck thanked team members worldwide for their successful team efforts throughout the quarter. The Company revised earnings guidance for 2022 upwards based on the quarterly results. For more information, visit the Terex investor pages: https://investors.terex.com/investor-relations/home/default.aspx
Shared image - Home
Home
investors.terex.com

181 days ago

Careers
Early Talent + Experience = A Great Team! Kathryn ‘Kat’ Doucette (r) completed a Welding Technology program at the Seacoast School of Technology and joined CBI/Terex Corporation in January 2022. Here she is (June 2022) shaking hands with visiting US Sen. Maggie Hassan (D-New Hampshire), who toured the plant with Terex CFO Julie Beck. Kat's Team Leader Todd Buttrick began training Kat on the various machines in the shop and she is now performing various weld jobs independently, without supervision.
Shared image

Terex Corporation Photos

+ Add Photo
Terex Corporation photo of: Celebrating 10 years of our Hosur facility in India - a real milestone for the entire team 👏
Terex Corporation photo of: Terex unveiled its new £12m facility in Campsie. The 105,000 sq foot facility manufactures heavy equipment for Terex Ecotec and mobile conveyors.
Terex Corporation photo of: Melissa Holobach, General Manager of our Oklahoma City facility, has been recently recognized by Diversity Journal in its 2019 'Women Worth Watching' profiles.
Terex Corporation photo of: Fuchs team members who celebrated their 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 years of service in 2019!
Terex Corporation photo of: One of our Genie interns reached the summit of Argentina's Aconcagua, the highest peak in the Western Hemisphere, with the help of his Genie® socks.
Terex Corporation photo of: Terex Omagh took part in Northern Ireland's (NI) 2019 Big Shops Showdown, on behalf of Cancer Focus , raising an impressive £3,339
Terex Corporation photo of: Year 14 pupils from Loreto Grammar School in Omagh, NorthernIreland enjoyed a presentation on Engineering and STEM careers from our Team Member, Claire.

Expert Career Advice

Boeing

3.8

14,186 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 842 Terex Corporation reviews submitted anonymously by Terex Corporation employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Terex Corporation is right for you.