Terex Manufacturing Engineer Reviews

Updated Jan 7, 2020

3.4
Terex Chief Executive Officer and President John L. Garrison, Jr (no image)
John L. Garrison, Jr
  1. "Incredible internship opportunity"

5.0
    Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Terex for less than a year

Pros

TDLR; work here. It’s incredible. I worked for Genie, Inc. (a Terex Brand) in building 8 in Redmond, WA as a manufacturing engineering intern. Here I was a part of the MTS - NPD (Manufacturing Technical Services - New Product Development) team, which is different from other manufacturing engineering teams (others include line support, etc.). It's just what it sounds like: we develop new manufacturing processes for the new products being designed by the mechanical engineers who are also in NPD. This was my personal experience, in no particular order: Real team involvement: Working here was not like any other internship. At Genie you get treated as a real member of the team of engineers, with the opportunity of taking ownership of real responsibilities within the major project. There's no sense at all of being lower than everyone else and there are absolutely no menial tasks such as getting coffee for your boss or other "typical" intern responsibilities. Great coworkers: Everyone here wants to see each other succeed and we all work together to get there. As an intern new to the company and the field in general, I was always asking for help, and people were always happy to stop whatever they were doing to give me a hand. I was always given great detail to the point of actually understanding what to do. Outside of work, we would often get together for drinks around town and would converse at company events. I look forward to being able to have these people as professional contacts for my future. Chill environment: This Genie campus has multiple buildings with multiple products being made on production lines, and in buildings where this happens things can understandably get hectic at times. However, while these other buildings on the Genie campus are kind of densely packed on the inside with 100+ workers per building and lots of equipment filling the space, our building only had around 40 workers in a building of the same size, in a much more open space. Things are always changing in this building as new processes are continuously being developed, and everyone works together towards common goals. Work always changing: Working for MTS, there is a lot of hands-on and a lot of being at the desk; it’s pretty split down the middle. We all had really big desks with multiple monitors connected to a removable company laptop within an open-cubicle sort of layout. I worked at the computer for CAD, analysis, instructional, and overall preparatory-type work, and went to the floor to execute said prep. I got to weld, laser-cut, 3D print, and use the saws, and was able to put in machining orders for more complex parts to be made by dedicated machine shop staff. There was a lot of laying things out, assembling, and fabricating to be done. Company exposure: There is a lot going on within Genie and on our campus specifically. As an intern, it’s a lot to take in at once. Genie management really reconciles this by giving lots of opportunities to spend time at other buildings (and facilities in other cities) getting tours and shadowing professionals, taking company “classes,” watching training videos on the “Terex U” website, and getting trained on lifts and machinery. The intern program is also amazing (I credit the incredible HR staff for this) which took us through a “foundations” course during the first week, along with multiple tours and fun trips worth bragging about throughout the summer (we went to the Mariner’s game and river rafting, all paid for!). We got to meet higher-ups including the VP of HR, Paul Smith, and the President, Matt Fearon. Great pay rate, lots of hours: As an intern I worked 4x10’s (10-hour days M-Th) at $22/hr with overtime ($33/hr) encouraged each week on Fridays and occasionally after-hours M-Th. Work days were from 530am-4pm. I am typically a night owl, so this was my only con. I got used to it pretty quick though. My supervisor was very lenient on this start time for us and gave us from 5am-6am to actually arrive. There was no real clocking-in (just entering it in online manually) so it was just an honor system pretty much, which everyone seemed to live by. Big company yet still growing: Genie is a company that is bigger than it seems to realize (or at least advertise). In other words, they act very modest, in a good way. It’s a company that is very recognizable and looks great on a résumé, but knows that it has a lot of room to grow and improve along the way. This growth is very clear to see over time, and as an engineer I often had discussions with coworkers about how things in our facility and on our products could be better in the future. Safety: Genie is a lean manufacturing-driven company. By truly following the lean philosophy, they are very dedicated to safety on and away from the workplace for employees and customers. On pretty much each wall there are posters regarding the Terex “safety saves lives” concept, each with the same core values a Terex employee or user is expected to follow. There are “5S” safety expectations and everyone does their own assigned part to keep the facility clean and free of hazards. Employees aren’t even allowed to lift more than 40lb by themselves, and require some sort of lifting device (such as a forklift) to lift beyond this (two people can lift up to 80lb together). PPE is required in most buildings at all times while on the shop floor. Workers will notice and kindly remind you as soon as they see you missing something or doing something against the core safety expectations. By making sure everyone is on the same page with all of this, working for Genie always feels safe and well-kept. Location: Moving to Redmond, WA from Eugene and Corvallis, OR was not a very big change at all for me. The environment feels very valley-like as I am used to, however it is closer to a big city (Seattle) so there is a good amount more people/traffic. Living close to work (< 10min drive) has been very convenient for me, as I have heard from others who live all the way in the U district of Seattle that the commute every day is not ideal. I like the town, but it’s always hard to tell how much you like a new town after only a few months. Definitely has a lot to offer.

Cons

There honestly are not many cons to this job that come to mind. Getting used to the early mornings was a struggle for a few weeks, but I committed to going to sleep around 8 or 9pm and never slept through my alarm. For a night owl, this wasn’t easy right away. The only other con was the for the first two weeks or so I was on the phone all the time with our IT department trying to get access to certain programs and files. I would have preferred if this access was on my computer already before getting to my desk on the first day, however accessing IT was made very easy over the phone and with an online “service now” app, so I really can’t complain too much.

Terex2019-08-21

September 18, 2019Internal Communications Manager - Terex AWP

We are glad to hear your internship was a positive experience. Our Early Talent program immerses high potential students in challenging, real-world projects that directly help drive business results at our global company. We firmly believe that pairing our culture of continuous improvement and our commitment to purposeful innovation with the diverse and creative mindset of students in our Early Talent program benefits everyone — our team members, our business, participants in the internship program, and our customers.

2. "High Turnover"

1.0
    Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Terex for less than a year

Pros

Lean manufacturing methods and good people.

Cons

Company doesn’t care about employees. They expect 60 hours per week with no overtime.

Terex2020-01-07

January 31, 2020Internal Communications Manager - Terex AWP

Thank you for taking time to share your concerns. Our OKC facility has experienced a great deal of change as our production plan has evolved in response to market conditions. We understand that those changes have had an impact on some of our team members and on morale, and our leadership team is working to address team members’ concerns and create stability as we move forward as a team. In terms of your concerns about overtime – there are indeed times that we have to ramp up production in response to increases in customer demand. Engineering roles are generally salaried, professional positions, and not eligible for overtime. However, to be clear, non-exempt hourly team members are never asked to work overtime without pay. In every instance, they are paid overtime wages for those hours, in accordance with all applicable laws.

3. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Project Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Terex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A lot of opportunities to participate in the shop floor activities. Great results oriented team culture.

Cons

Felt the pay was low for the job. Promotions were hard to come by.

Terex2019-08-17

September 26, 2019Internal Communications Manager - Terex AWP

At Terex, we are committed to a culture of continuous improvement — this means giving our team members the tools and opportunities to grow and develop with us in support of their career goals. Our goal is to be the best place to work in the industry, as judged by our team members. Thank you for your feedback; we take seriously all feedback and evaluate how to use that input to help us continue to improve as an employer.

4. "A Great place to work"

Current Intern - Manufacturing Engineer in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at Terex for less than a year

Pros

Semi laid back environment, lunch and learns every month, management makes you feel valued and respected, easily able to interact with other employees, and four 10s means for 4 day weekends.

Cons

Overtime has not been an option while I have been here and No onsite IT

Terex2019-07-29
  5. "Good company to work for the first few years of your career"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Terex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Freedom to learn and apply

Cons

Some leadership people are biased

Terex2019-05-16

June 25, 2019Director, Internal Communications

Thank you for recommending Terex as a place to work, and for recognizing our CEO John Garrison. We are concerned that you perceived bias, because Terex is passionately committed to being a Company that provides equal opportunity to all team members, regardless of race, gender or ethnic background. This starts at the top and is driven throughout the organization. Terex is a place where people of all backgrounds can move into high-impact roles. In addition, as you will recall, the Company is devoted to our Terex Way values, which, taken together, reflect an institutional and personal commitment to doing the right thing and treating people the right way. We will take your feedback to heart , and we thank you for contributing a thoughtful review.

"Working at Terex in Okc"

1.0
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than a year

Pros

The employees on the floor are nice.

Cons

Fired half of the plant because sales were not predicted correctly. Hours vary depending on when there are parts available. Parts for assembly work are never at the facility or delivered on time. Morale is always low.

Terex2019-04-03

May 16, 2019Director, Internal Communications

Thank you for acknowledging your team members! Regarding layoffs in our Oklahoma City production facility, half of the plant was not fired. Early in 2019, Terex made the decision to exit several mobile crane product lines for which new orders had virtually stopped after the 2018 steel tariffs caused product prices to increase. Fortunately, Terex also makes other products at this plant for our business segments Aerial Work Platforms and Materials Processing. The majority of team members who had been working on the crane lines transferred to new roles at the plant working on the other product lines. The OKC plant continues to be an important manufacturing center for Terex with a promising future. It is true that the hours vary based on production scheduling and needs, as is widely the case in manufacturing. Finally, regarding morale, as anywhere it would depend on whom you asked. Many at OKC report positive team spirit and strong engagement with their teams. As a recent example, team members in OKC recently gathered to observe International Women’s Day with celebrations and events throughout the plant. We hope you will have a positive experience at Terex as time progresses!

7. "Good learning experience."

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Terex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good exposure to various business aspects.

Cons

Lots of overtime, continual re-structuring.

Terex2018-07-09
  8. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of room for growth, 4/10 schedule

Cons

occasional layoffs, no overtime pay for salary

Terex2018-03-04
  9. "Good culture and variety of work, but early start time"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture, hands on projects, good variety of work as manufacturing engineer. Some flexibility in project timelines and project selection.

Cons

Hours. Start time at 5 or 5:30 with 4 ten hour days unless it's busy season where you'll work OT Friday's. Line support can be repetitive.

Terex2016-10-21
  10. "Great group of people and future opportunites!"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer II in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The employees are great and easy to work with for the most part. Pay seems reasonable. I enjoy the type of projects I get to work on. Future growth opportunities exist.

Cons

Directions are quick to change. Daily "fires" easily become the major focus over long term development. Different teams often operate independent of each other while I believe there could be more cross functional teamwork.

Terex2016-05-20