Terex Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
John L. Garrison, Jr
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • There is not much of a work-life balance at all (in 11 reviews)

• Favoritism at the upper management level prevents fairness and opportunity for many deserving team members (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to build a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I have been working at Terex (More than 8 years)

Pros

No "cookie-cutter" jobs -- ample room for creativity, as long as you achieve strategic results.
    Great people -- no "prima donnas"
    Mid-size: not too big or small

Cons

Can't think of any right now

Advice to Management

Keep working to make the company strong!

"Incompetence is the requisite for middle management."

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Rock Hill, SC

Pros

Products are great. Location is great. People on the assembly line are great. Most managers are great with the exception of a few. Engineers are easey to work with.

Cons

Pay stinks, most advanced positions pay entry level at best. Management has got to be the most incompetent group of folks in business. Managers who run multiple plants into the ground get promoted. Those who perform stay put those who don’t perform get promoted. Merit is simply just not recognized.

Advice to Management

Try learning something and have some accomplishment before you take on a management role. They you would have something to work from. Also, promote from within and recognize those who do and those who waist air. Fire the ones who never produce especially managers. Dead weight pulls everyone down.

"Horrible company & management"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Redmond, WA

I worked at Terex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a pay check, and I got more experience to put on the resume

Cons

I was treated so awful, and I wasn’t the only one. About half of the company is temporary workers, who get promised things and then chopped at the last minute. I had to train my own replacement, no one wants to get to know anyone because the high turn-over, it is a competitive and unprofessional environment.

Advice to Management

Your employees are human, try treating them that way. Stop putting people on salaries and pushing them to work crazy long hours, stop hiring temps and not giving them benefits, and simply be nice. Say good morning every now and then. To the people at the top and in corporate land, I don’t know how you sleep at night. You people are so greedy and selfish.

"Terex - Lack of Leadership"

I worked at Terex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and Benefits are comparable with other companies; health plan is really good. Safety environment seems to be consistent with industry standards.

Cons

No ife-work balance. Company has values and provides lip service to them but doesn't followthrough on them. Management is management but no leadership exist. Told "contract employees" their jobs were secure then 2 weeks later lay off over 100; number has grown since then. Employees are encouraged to make quality, safety improvements - however unless management can make it "thier" idea suggestions are ignored.

Advice to Management

Be leaders and show loyalty that you ask for to the employees. Organization will only be mediocore as long as the Good Ole Boy Network exist within the company.

Oct 16, 2014 – Admin

On behalf of Terex, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Servant Leadership is one of our core values at Terex, which means we believe in asking our team members ... More

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Terex (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work in a small town and small plant which is wonderful.

Cons

HR in the plant I work at treats the employees like they are a nuisance to her. Multiple errors in the new employee set up process, some were intentional.

Dec 3, 2014 – Admin

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the Terex Glassdoor page. Your opinion of Terex is important to us and we would like to share your feedback with the appropriate location. If you would like ... More

"Learned a lot, promoted annually, Got sideways with HR and forced out of company."

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer III in Moses Lake, WA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer III in Moses Lake, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are the best. Pay is pretty good. Work is varied and fast paced. Benefits are average to industry. Opportunities to make a difference.

Cons

Poor work life balance.
    Engineers required to work a rotating graveyard 6 weeks a year.
    Sporadic plant meetings and announcements things that are not true. Leadership is mostly posturing to be noticed by the Redmond leadership.
    Production worked overtime for the first half of the year, then massive layoffs when the stock dropped after 2nd quarter results were announced (2014)

Advice to Management

While the stock price is important, without the people who build units, the people whose ideas make Genie a brand to be desired, you have nothing. Try focusing on morale and watch the stock price climb as a result.

Dec 19, 2014 – Admin

On behalf of Terex, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It’s good to know that you find your work fulfilling, you enjoy working with your fellow team members and ... More

"Was a great company to work for - Not now."

I have been working at Terex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HR in the past truly supported the team members. Management gave opportunities to grow to those willing to accept them.

Cons

Now politics and backstabbing are the rule of the day. When new ideas are presented the cost is measured against headcount reduction to pay for them. Management sets goals beyond any employees ability to ensure no bonus is paid making their financial reporting better. Manager threatens, never praises, and criticizes - very unlike what Terex describes as Servant Leadership.

Advice to Management

Fix the management problems before the team members marketplace fix them for Terex.

Jan 19, 2015 – Admin

On behalf of Terex, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Here at Terex we are all demonstrators and leaders of the Terex Way Values. Servant Leadership is one ... More

"If you want to make a quick buck its ok , But there's no loyalty there anymore."

Current Employee - Team Lead I in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Team Lead I in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

4/10s are nice and you can learn a lot about manufacturing. However you will also learn what "not" to do too.

Cons

Management is lackluster and all they care about is there bottom line not their people. Their values seem be more of a lip service. There should be union to prevent some of the stuff they pull.

Advice to Management

Listen to you your hard working employees who are loyal want to the company to be successful for the foreseeable future.

Feb 27, 2015 – Admin

Thank you for sharing your comments on the Terex Glassdoor page. We are concerned about your views regarding management and we urge you to share these concerns with your local HR representative ... More

"Not a crane company"

Former Employee - Overhead Crane Technician in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Overhead Crane Technician in Tampa, FL

I worked at Terex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truck, IPhone and company card hands on ojt. Some travel and some training is included. They are trying to get more benefits for techs like tool reimbursement but they lag behind the industry

Cons

90 percent of upper and middle management have never turned a wrench or if they have it was in a completely different industry. This leads to the technicians having to train management. And since they cant recruit techs they don't promote from within so it creates animosity and a vicious cycle. All customer service and support are left on the techs shoulders as well as actual ly fixing the cranes. Pay is below industry standard.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Find better recruiters to replace the techs that deserve promotion. Start acting like an overhead crane company. Invest in facilities, people and equipment that support field operations. You can't run a crane company out of a storage unit. Heres an idea if you are "Demag" certified service centers dont you think more than 2 percent of yoir technicians should have Demag training?

"IT Business Analysis, Project Implementation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Terex (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great leaders; Work-life balance

Cons

Some seriously incompetent supervisors and managers; Those who are good at politics and behind the scene maneuvering can get ahead and cause frustration

Advice to Management

Weed out the incompetent; Bring in more professional management