Terex Reviews | Glassdoor

Terex Reviews

Updated April 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • There is not much of a work-life balance at all (in 11 reviews)

• Favoritism at the upper management level prevents fairness and opportunity for many deserving team members (in 8 reviews)

"Buyer"

Current Employee - Buyer in Waverly, IA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Waverly, IA

I have been working at Terex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people definitely make this a great place to work.

Cons

The lack of strategic direction in all levels of management is very challenging. In addition to this, I did not feel empowered to make decisions on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Establishing a level of trust between all levels of employees is critical to morale and buy in during times of organizational change. A lack of presence and communication feeds negativity.

2. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I have been working at Terex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn from experienced people and take the next step in your career.

Cons

It's a small corporate headquarters which creates more intimacy, but may turn off others.

3. "Shrinking Market"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex (More than 10 years)

Pros

Recognition of high performance.

Cons

Shrinking revenue base is causing workforce reduction.

"Poor Delivery"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Fortune 500 company
    Multiple business segments under one roof
    Lots of cosmetic upgrades to the facility
    Four day work week

Cons

Poor upper-level management
    Shift starts too early (attendance issues plant wide)
    Not enough focus on safety

Advice to Management

Follow your daily metrics in the order of importance. Safety comes first for a reason. Also, don't be afraid to say "I don't know." Blurting out an answer just to have an answer confuses team members and generates unnecessary rumors. Report accurate data and make the team members feel valued.

"On the downturn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I worked at Terex (Less than a year)

Pros

The company had a great run

Cons

They are cutting all of their good people and keeping their lower priced less experienced people

"A company with high turnover and stressful environment - Genie Industries Redmond WA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Terex full-time

Pros

The only pros i can think of is their medical/dental/vision benefit is not bad compare to other companies in the area.

Cons

1) High turnover: Our team had about 20 people. 6 people left through layoff ( but they are happy to leave) and another 2 are gone later.
    2) Limited resource: data quality is a big concern. Company is not willing to make investment on IT. Lots of manual operation. For example, customer rebate report, 100M, 40,000 rows, from column A to CJ, all manual calculation. Big errors likely
    3) Poor management: My management only focus on what you can do, not on where you want to grow your career. Lots of close door meetings within managers. If you are an analyst, you do not have any chance to attend any of these meetings
    4) The company growth is poor; Terex will be sold to another company because of its limited product offers and industry specific focus
    5) Too much "whispered talk. The team looks solid. But lot of people hate each other. Ladies always whisper at work
    6) Work Life balance sucks, specially during month end close

Sep 7, 2016 – Communications Specialist

HR Response: We’re happy to know that you valued the competitive benefits you received as a team member. Though you are no longer a member of the Terex team, many of the concerns you raise could ... More

"Decent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Terex (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits. Publicly traded company.

Cons

Management does not hold each other accountable. Lack of direction from leadership since retirement of Ron Defeo.

Management does not value the hourly employee's.

Advice to Management

Hold managers accountable, reject constant excuses and blame mentality. Verify information on documents from managers to confirm its accuracy.

Aug 23, 2016 – Communications Specialist

We’re glad you agree that Terex pay and benefits are a “positive.” As a pay for performance company, we count on every team member’s contribution to help make our company great for our customers ... More

"Territory Sales Manager Prospective"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Company car, credit card, flexible schedule

Cons

Lack of experienced leadership
    Lack of technology
    Lack of culture
    Lack of relationships and stability.

Worked as a TSM for Terex Services formally Crane America, very obvious from the beginning the leadership was completely lacking. They acted more as dictators than anything else. They would famously say, "Let me know if you need any help." Then when you asked for help, they would tell you what you were doing wrong instead of providing any insight or guidance. Over time I learned to not ask at all. There was an instance where I discovered a racial remark written on the wall, Human Resources was to conduct an investigation, instead they just had someone cover up what was written. The issue was never addressed, partly because they were so desperate to keep employees. This was the first publicly traded company I worked for and I was shocked at the lack of tools available for training and self improvement, such as Six Sigma. During the initial interview I was told the commission structure was X when it ended up being Y. From the beginning I felt conned. My direct report severely exaggerated the actual amount of money that I would be making despite closing multiple opportunities. Kone Cranes is scheduled to acquire Terex Services in January 2017, maybe they can infuse some of the things this company is lacking. The job began to become more stressful by the hour. Sales people were pressured severely to get results despite having few tools at their disposal. I would not recommend this company. Lack of diversity. Lack of training. Lack of leadership. Over exaggerated commission. The process of putting an order into the system was beyond cumbersome and obsolete. Many of the other TSMs were having to work overtime and weekends just to keep up with the workload. Favoritism runs rife throughout the organization. Lack of work life balance. Lack of tools for sale professionals. Unprofessional acting leadership.

Advice to Management

To catch up to modern day management of employees. To be honest and make doing business as well as working for Terex easier for people. Do not put people with lack of management in a position to lead.

More diversity. There is a lack of any diversity other than white americans in the organizations. The only diversity seen is our technicians which is terrible. Do better at taking care of your people, and improve your training.

Sep 28, 2016 – Communications Specialist

We’re sorry that you didn’t have a better experience, but we do maintain an open door policy, and would have liked to have had the opportunity to work with you regarding your concerns while you were ... More

10. "forklift"

Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at Terex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with good team work

Cons

Less space at work

Advice to Management

Working with good people

11. "Great group of people and future opportunites!"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer II in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer II in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at Terex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are great and easy to work with for the most part. Pay seems reasonable. I enjoy the type of projects I get to work on. Future growth opportunities exist.

Cons

Directions are quick to change. Daily "fires" easily become the major focus over long term development. Different teams often operate independent of each other while I believe there could be more cross functional teamwork.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing a plant to work more as a team and align to common goals. Live and act by the TBS principles we know over short term gains.