Terex Senior Design Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
John L. Garrison, Jr
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Compared to most accounting jobs the work/life balance is excellent, and there is no "busy season"" (in 29 reviews)

• "Great people -- no "prima donnas"" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lot of value focus and work life balance" (in 14 reviews)

• "Upper management says "safety first" but they dont actually care about our safety" (in 10 reviews)

"Good overall, but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture, friendly people, and overall a solid place to work. There are a lot of "lifers" who stay with the company for a very long time (with good reason).

Cons

Salaries for most not on par with the area. Management reluctant to staff appropriately for cost reasons, so many people are perpetually overworked and on the verge of burning out. Too much restructuring of upper management. Unstable (very cyclical) business results in mass layoffs balanced by frenzies of growth.

Advice to Management

Stop restructuring so often. Stop changing overarching goals of the business so often, Build some stability around how the company is run, who is running it, and the goals that people are working towards day-to-day.

"Over-reactive management but Fantastic Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great people to work with. Everyone is friendly and inclusive right from the start.
    - Potential for lots of project variability.
    - Good growth potential if you show promise in a given field.
    - If not in manufacturing or manufacturing engineering, there is a good potential for a healthy work/life balance.

Cons

- Management has a tendency to be over responsive to customer and higher management requests. This often results in projects getting cancelled abruptly and without consideration to the work already performed.
    - Pay is below average for the Seattle area.

Advice to Management

Justifications for business decisions are often met with cynicism since at this point the decision has already been made and thus a good point can't be recognized even if valid. If feedback from the engineers who actually work on projects was elicited before a final decision was made, this would likely go a long way to easing frustration with management's reactionary image. Fundamentally, people need to feel heard and they can't be heard after the fact.

"Incompetence is the requisite for middle management."

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Rock Hill, SC

Pros

Products are great. Location is great. People on the assembly line are great. Most managers are great with the exception of a few. Engineers are easey to work with.

Cons

Pay stinks, most advanced positions pay entry level at best. Management has got to be the most incompetent group of folks in business. Managers who run multiple plants into the ground get promoted. Those who perform stay put those who don’t perform get promoted. Merit is simply just not recognized.

Advice to Management

Try learning something and have some accomplishment before you take on a management role. They you would have something to work from. Also, promote from within and recognize those who do and those who waist air. Fire the ones who never produce especially managers. Dead weight pulls everyone down.

4. "Sr"

Current Contractor - Senior Design Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Contractor - Senior Design Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Terex as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Well cultural behavior, supportive, freedom to learn

Cons

I never felt any downside in Terex

5. "I worked in Terex Port Solution From Last 3 Months."

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Pune (India)

I have been working at Terex (Less than a year)

Pros

I already Worked with Demag cranes and components india private limited @ Pune,India in Process Crane Segments In the year of 2008 to 2012 and lot of things learnt from this organization but after terex acquire Demag business, lot of things to be changed. I realized from last 3 Months while working with Terex India R & D Center, Pune, India.( Second Innings)

Terex Says " Work For you" and this is proven, really work for Employees as well as customer and satisfied their needs.

1. Terex 6 Ways will improving a lot as a personal and professional curriculum.
    2. Ethics and compliance which create positive work place environment for employees.
    3. Kwench Library which will help us to get any Books at your Office location and read and implementing lot of new imagination and new idea to the organization which will really help as to improve company as well as personal growth.
    4. TTMS which really help us to find where you are and where you want to grow for win strategy to reach the company goal.
    5. Safety which will be the first priority in Terex.
    6. All team members are very co-operative. Good global exposer as well.

Cons

Terex brand name not Familiar much in India and Now a days India is Fast Growing country so a lot many upcoming projects considering construction , Cranes and etc.. so need to strengthen the Indian Market.
    I feel that for strengthening Indian market, so many small things keep it in mind.
    1. we need to satisfying customer hi-technical requirement with optimizing cost.
    2. Our most of products are standardized and that's good things but what happened every customer doesn't have any unique requirement so we need to focus on each and every aspects of customer requirement and fulfilling their needs with optimizing cost.

Advice to Management

Our Most Competitive organization for Port Segments is ZPMC. we need to fight them in every aspects. ZPMC is Chiness firms and still all over the world even in every port having their cranes so we need to think like that "one day Instead of ZPMC, Terex Cranes in All Ports around the world".
    Why their cranes having lesser price this is just only because most of items using in their cranes are all in house manufacturing rather than purchasing some other country market. so we need to think like that we also having capcities to developed every small small products in house. (" Think Higher" and one day will success our brand name)

Most of times due to High Pricing we loose the order in Indian market so we need to take initiative for cost optimizing and developing our product in such a way that customer feel that really Terex Works for us.

6. "senior design engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Pune (India)

Pros

great challenges and work responsibilities

Cons

work life balance difficult, compensation average

Advice to Management

focus on maintaining work life balance