Terex Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jul 19, 2020

Terex Chief Executive Officer and President John L. Garrison, Jr (no image)
John L. Garrison, Jr
Pros
  • "Great people to work with, corporate setting, work life balance(in 31 reviews)

• "Great people and lots of opportunity to lead projects right of the bat(in 25 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great benefits and a laid back company structure"

5.0
    Current Employee - Analyst in Westport, CT

I have been working at Terex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back - not a high pressure environment

Cons

Great company culture. Awesome people to work with. Lot of value focus and work life balance.

2. "Decent Company"

Former Employee - Finance

I worked at Terex full-time

Pros

Work life balance Friendly people

Cons

Could not retain good people

3. "Nice people"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people to work with, corporate setting, work life balance

Cons

A lot of changes recently

"Terex AWP (Genie Ind) NPD Engineering"

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

OK work-life balance. You get to work on wide range of engineering aspects of a design if you are in new product development, and are interested and push to do so. As you climb, you can manage your boss enough to focus on your main areas of interest (but you need to be stubborn about it). The engineers that follow their interest here always find a way to off-load what they don't want to do on someone 'below' them... I'm sure that's not unique to Terex. CEO Garrison seems to be making positive changes, taking realistic long view. Working here you avoid the pitfalls of market-rate pay and high bonuses offered for similar positions at nearby companies… where would you spend the money anyway? Career opportunities... if you go management route. Not so much for staying technical.

Cons

Antiquated engineering change management systems. Poor engineering policies, procedures, and controls. Little or no /real/ training - sink or swim on-boarding... which leads to "cowboys". Many pockets of Engineering Dept are populated by “cowboys” or engineers who are just ticking boxes; quantity over quality (maybe this is a 'pro' for you?). Operations/manufacturing is often resistant to change, think they are the real 'customers', over the companies /actual/ customers. 'Servant Leadership' (company tenant) is complete and utter BS -- you get ahead here by ticking boxes for your manager, not by helping those below you or those affected by your work. People often don't worry too much about people down-stream of their decisions, just as long as they are pleasant and smile they can do pretty much what they want. Just ship it! Ramping up engineering employment now, which absolutely means we are about to begin 'right-sizing' people within 6 months.

September 18, 2018Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. First, we are glad to hear that you have noticed positive changes occurring as a result of our strategy introduced by CEO John Garrison. As a global company, we are able to offer a variety of career opportunities for our team members to explore, and we seek to understand our team member’s career aspirations and help achieve them. This is true whether there is a desire to move into management or not. In fact, one of the changes we’ve worked to implement over the past several years are the career opportunities for team members who want to remain in technical roles. We also strive to offer compensation in line with the market. You mentioned our Terex Way Values. We take great pride in our values, including Servant Leadership, and we sincerely expect our leaders, managers and supervisors to do the same. We also know that we can and must continue to improve — which is why Improvement is another of our values. It is our vision to be the best place to work in the industry, as judged by our team members. We cannot continue to work toward that goal unless team members like you have the Courage — another one of our Terex Way Values — to speak up and tell us when they see room for improvement. In fact, your comments illustrate an area where we can work to do better, which is communication and helping team members understand why decisions are made, particularly when those decisions impact our teams or individuals. Just as the quality of our team members’ experience is important to us, the quality of the machines we produce for our customers is of the utmost importance. A bedrock belief of Genie’s founders was that the customer is the center of our universe. That belief remains ingrained in the fabric of our culture at Terex AWP. That means that we do things right, every time, and ensure everything we do is high quality. If you have specific concerns about safety, quality, or processes, we encourage you to escalate those concerns so that we can fix anything that needs correcting. It’s clear that you’ve put a great deal of thought into your comments, and we appreciate your honest feedback. If you have specific concerns that we can address, or suggestions that could help us improve our processes, products, or our workplace environment for you and other team members, we encourage you to talk to with your manager, human resources, a Business Practice Advocate, or any other member of our leadership team you feel comfortable speaking with. Our hope would be that by engaging in an honest conversation, we can work with you to identify opportunities that help you achieve your career goals while driving business success for our company and our customers.

5. "Help in OKC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good, Need work life balance

Cons

Management is too busy looking out for themselves to worry about the employees. Employees are who will grow your company. Invest your time with us, get to know us, teach us, you might just be surprised what we know.

September 19, 2018Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. First, we are glad to hear that you enjoy your benefits here at Terex. And you’re right, we believe work life balance is an important component to a successful company—that’s why we’ve instituted new policies, such as paid maternity leave, secondary caregiver leave, and other benefits. As part of a global company, the leadership team makes an effort to frequently visit our sites across the world. One reason they do this is to engage with our team members from every line of the business. When it comes to suggesting improvements or seeking help on an issue at work, if you are unsure who to talk to, please start with your manager or your HR representative. Change can be scary, but we cannot improve if we do not hear from you. We take feedback very seriously, and we hope that you will open a dialogue with your team to help us continue to grow in a positive way. We need engaged team members like you in order to be a success. Thanks again for writing.

"Excellent Accounting Office"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Waverly, IA

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Focused on continually improving the work, workplace, morale, and opportunities. Compared to most accounting jobs the work/life balance is excellent, and there is no "busy season".

Cons

Some of the usual large company bureaucracy and "1 size fits all" policies. Being publicly traded means opportunity, but can require more work/hours at quarter ends.

"Design Engineer II"

5.0
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Terex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team to work with, team members and supervisor are great, a lot of work to do, great benefits overall and work life balance, great location.

Cons

Needs more organization, needs more people on the manufacturing floor who care about each other, need to keep placing more emphasis on safety

"Accounting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waverly, IA

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and great co-workers

Cons

No work life balance - long hours, mandatory weekends and holidays. Only certain holidays worked will have a float day given. Training -here is none unless your team is well established and you are taking a job that the person who used to do it is still there to help you which is rare. Management prefer to let you figure it out with an SOP, make mistakes, and then ding you for them rather than give you adequate time and training to help you succeed. Advancement not likely unless you have maximum talent and can learn on the fly. Pay - want maximum talent for minimal wages. Will find away to minimize your merit pay and bonuses. Team members on same team are not held to same standards by accounting manager. HR - poor

Continue reading
  9. "Not much work-life balance"

I worked at Terex full-time

Pros

Fast-paced. Great starter position for those right out of college

Cons

There is not much of a work-life balance at all.

"A company with high turnover and stressful environment - Genie Industries Redmond WA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Terex full-time

Pros

The only pros i can think of is their medical/dental/vision benefit is not bad compare to other companies in the area.

Cons

1) High turnover: Our team had about 20 people. 6 people left through layoff ( but they are happy to leave) and another 2 are gone later. 2) Limited resource: data quality is a big concern. Company is not willing to make investment on IT. Lots of manual operation. For example, customer rebate report, 100M, 40,000 rows, from column A to CJ, all manual calculation. Big errors likely 3) Poor management: My management only focus on what you can do, not on where you want to grow your career. Lots of close door meetings within managers. If you are an analyst, you do not have any chance to attend any of these meetings 4) The company growth is poor; Terex will be sold to another company because of its limited product offers and industry specific focus 5) Too much "whispered talk. The team looks solid. But lot of people hate each other. Ladies always whisper at work 6) Work Life balance sucks, specially during month end close

September 7, 2016Communications Specialist

HR Response: We’re happy to know that you valued the competitive benefits you received as a team member. Though you are no longer a member of the Terex team, many of the concerns you raise could have been addressed with your manager or with your human resources representative while you were employed with us. We value the input of our team members and welcome their thoughts and ideas. Being open to feedback from team members and customers is how we grow as an organization. From time to time, managers are charged with having confidential conversations and making difficult decisions that require closed-door meetings. However, it’s equally true that managers take into consideration team member ideas and suggestions when making decisions. This is all part of managing a large, complex and competitive global organization. Thank you for writing and all the best in your future career endeavors. Terex Human Resources

Found 46 reviews