Terrapinn Reviews

Updated May 26, 2020

3.3
Terrapinn Group CEO Greg Hitchen
Greg Hitchen
Pros
  • "Opportunity to travel, industry knowledge, work experience(in 17 reviews)

• "Great people to work with, real sense of team work within operations department(in 14 reviews)

Cons

"Great experience, learned so much about business/marketing/sales and the industry I worked in."

5.0
    Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn

Pros

the people, location of the office, ping pong, opportunity to learn about a variety of industries and interact with many different kinds of people. Chance to be trained by highly successful managers, skills you will use the rest of your life . Opportunity to earn huge commissions. Chance to travel around the country to a variety of different conferences. Company camaraderie.

Cons

The company likes you to do it 'there way', little flexibility. Lots of cold calling and rejection.

Continue reading
  2. "Prepare to be ignored"

I worked at Terrapinn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to learn about the major issues happening across every industrial sector. Building up your professional network.

Cons

Poor customer service from operations. Even if you leave a message don't be surprised when you don't receive a courtesy call back. You'll be lucky if you're able to get in touch with anyone regarding payments or logistics. Prepare to have to follow up several separate times as if you're chasing a prospect!

3. "Conference Producer"

I worked at Terrapinn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Terrapinn NY has an extremely supportive group of employees that i led by a very understanding MD. Though he can get pretty overwhelming and insane at times, the MD has been really pushing for dramatic changes in the office and he has fostered an environment where everyone can grow professionally and personally, The job gives you several chances to make a name for yourself and establish yourself as a well respected producer. Profit shares are pretty generous and it's all up to your team to take full advantage of it. Travel is a given with all expenses paid for. Super generous vacation days with generous 401k contributions to boot. You are guaranteed to grow professionally whether you like the job or not.

Cons

The company has too many unrealistic expectations and upper management is highly toxic. Management in the office never hesitates to play the blame game and asks you "why are you struggling"? instead of picking you up and asking you how they can help you lift yourself up. Lots of ideas are agreed upon through words but rarely executed. The CEO is plain ole disrespectful and overwhelmingly rude to his subordinates. He might have been knowledgeable in the past but seems to have really lost his sanity over the years. He is the one true negative of Terrapinn. He is the reason why the MD of the NY office has to tie his hands and seal his lips to shut down the many great ideas that he has.

"A company on the up!"

Current Employee - Conference Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at Terrapinn full-time for more than a year

Pros

A young, friendly, open, inclusive and helpful office with so many opportunities to travel, meet new (and important!) people and get a well-rounded view of business. Producers get exposed to research, marketing, sales - the whole lot, and it really equips you for the future. Because it's a UK company, you'll get 20+ days paid vacation (not including federal holidays!) and some really great benefits. Work-life balance is amazing - nobody expects you to work past 5 unless you need to - and the office has definitely improved over the last year in that your coworkers actually want to help you. You need to put effort in, but the rewards are significant - commission, benefits, connections, and career opportunities.

Cons

- The office used to be very male, very sales-dominated and perhaps not the most inclusive or friendly. I'm happy to say that has changed enormously of late due to management putting a lot of effort into improving the company culture. - Sometimes, decisions coming from HQ in London can be a hindrance, rather than a help. - The spring events season gets very stressful. I'd like to see some of them spaced out throughout the year a bit more!

"Meh"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Terrapinn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to travel and meet top level CEOs and great time off.

Cons

Micromanaging, tough deadlines, tracking of phone calls and times.

"An idea-filled and bright U.S. office, abysmal global corporate management"

Former Employee - Project Director in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at Terrapinn for around 2-2.5 years as a Conference Manager and eventually a Project Director. I entered the office with no conference industry experience and a very low opinion of the work I would be doing. I am happy to say that my opinion changed as I learned the ropes and I wanted to share my experience of working at Terrapinn's New York City office, as I feel it could be helpful for people looking to make the decision whether or not to work here. On the positives: -The amount of people you get to meet is staggering in a good way. CEOs, Directors of Companies, you name it - if you are willing to get your name out there, it will get out there. The marketing team puts out mass emails that you write, with your name on them, and the right ones can get people talking in the industry. This is the number one way to get this job to work for you is to network. I can't emphasize this enough. You have to put the legwork in, but it can pay significant dividends in the future. -The Managing Director of the New York City office (Martin) is, in my opinion, a very idealistic, younger manager who is willing to take (manageable) risks. I can say that he enabled me to take some risks with my agendas, who I invited, marketing strategies, etc. and it helped my industry knowledge to grow and helped me to grow as an employee. I don't think he is as willing to take risks with the more established cash cows of the office, but realistically, who would? The money from those staples enables the smaller events to get creative, and that is where much of the young office shines in developing rich, passionate agendas. I do think he gets overwhelmed by ridiculous corporate demands (more on that in the cons) and it trickles to the rest of the office at times, but overall he helps to create a positive, if occasionally a bit too competitive, environment. -Young office filled with people who enjoy having fun both at the events and at the office. -If you enjoy traveling, you will have plenty of opportunity to do so. -Plenty of horizontal and vertical growth opportunities IF YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT SEGMENT (more on that later) -Great work life balance as long as you don't have a long commute like I did. You will be out the door by 5 and nobody expects you to stay later (unless you have something that needs to get done and you didn't do it, of course)

Cons

-The conference industry as a whole is a pretty awful industry. Terrapinn tries hard to break some of the rote cultural assumptions, but money comes first and you often find yourself creating just another of several similar events in the industry you are in. Management's reply is, of course, yours should be BETTER - and that is what any good employee obviously strives for, but this is a tough industry and you have to understand that before you take on this position. You will need to work harder than you would in similar positions in other industries (or a more established conference company) to get the same payoff. -Corporate. I can't say anything positive about the corporate governance at Terrapinn. The CEO is, I believe, a friend of the founder of the company who should have retired years ago. I never experienced it myself, but I often heard him yelling needlessly at other employees at his bi-annual visits in a very demeaning tone. The other executives are nominally more competent, but their utility has limits given the buck always stops with the CEO. The less Martin interacted with the CEO and executive team, the better the US office performed and the better the atmosphere. They also have no vision - often, the US and EU offices were competing for the same clients, in a sea of already competing events. Supposedly this was to capitalize on both markets, but in some industries, the audience for these events is already very small, and you do yourself no favors by cannibalizing. The one positive I will say about corporate is that their head of Sales is an excellent teacher for how to sell in the modern environment. -Some segments treated better than others (for example, if Life Sciences is really killing it, they will get favorable treatment to Aviation). This was often financial, but also more often than I would like based on personality. Management across the board plays favorites at Terrapinn, though the one positive here is that it is pretty easy to be a favorite - do your job, don't complain and (hopefully) make money. Oh, and go to the social events. -Upward mobility comes to a screeching halt once you hit Project Director. The only position above that is Martin, and outside of that is corporate, and those people aren't going anywhere. -This is a 90% phone-based job. They will sell you the world on the interview, but understand this, and I hope someone listens to this review: you will be on the phone all. the. time. They track your daily call times, and if you aren't making money, they will REALLY track your call times. If you aren't making calls, you aren't working there anymore. If you are making money somehow magically without making the calls, then they might go easier. The one thing I will say about this, is that it isn't so much a negative, because the only way to really build relationships as I mentioned above is to be on the phone with people (as well as meeting them in person at the shows). -If you make the wrong people angry, they can make your life miserable at the company. -The office is all young "millennials" which can be both a positive and a negative. I list it as a negative because it seems like there is constant drama. I ignored most of the office in order to stay above it. Anyone above the age of 30 was quickly gone after I started there, some by their own accord, others not so much. -Pay is less than other conference organizations, but I will be honest with you, the environment at most of the others is so awful it sometimes makes up for it.

Continue reading
  7. "I grew as a person by working here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to travel to some nice places (Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago as an examples). Work-Life balance is ideal, with good hours, vacation, and even an end of summer company party (for instance to Atlantic City), as well as a Holiday Party in December). Young, outgoing environment. Everyone definitely treats each other with respect and it is a work hard, play hard mentality. Office is very nice, on the 25th floor with views overlooking Brooklyn Bridge. Management is there to help when needed and allows you to take control over your own events and make important decisions on your own. Overall I learned a great deal about business, sales, and marketing all while immersing myself in a couple different industries too.

Cons

Sometimes it's easy to get overwhelmed by targets and goals for your projects, but with the right plan and attitude this can easily be mitigated and management is there to drive you forward.

"Stay away! Zero stars."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young team filled with potential but lacking corporate skills.

Cons

Horrible management that most likely never managed anyone before this job, high turnover for no reason, no talent development, sense of rush with no strategy. High sense of entitlement from people that only worked at Terrapinn all their lives. They have no previous valuable work experience and prey on preaching to the "young professionals" newly hired just because they believe to know better than the rest. The moment your event/project fails, it is your fault and if in one month the money doesn't come through, they will fire you. I saw around 6 of my close colleagues being fired in the middle of the day and being escorted out after managers had a 1x1 meeting to question if you really "know" what you were doing. Next day, you get cut. Even if you are a recent graduate with student dept, don't jump on this wagon. It can scar you for life. People in the industry think Terrapinn is a joke, so don't even include this on your resume. Stay away!

Continue reading

"Great events company that works hard to be the best"

Current Employee - Conference Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Terrapinn full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been with Terrapinn for two years and this is a place that has rewarded my hard work and helped me grow professionally. Of course you have to work hard and have work ethic in order to be trusted with good projects. In these two years I haven't felt disrespected or harassed and I haven't seen anyone get harassed. I've been able to travel nationally and internationally, and I've seen new hires sent on international trips after being with the company for a few weeks. We are constantly encouraged to go to events and meet people that can help us do our job better. I don't think that people are micromanaged, and contrary to the last review, there ARE project directors/managers that choose how to manage their teams and are fully supported by upper management. It's funny how people complain about making phone calls, that's what the job entails, you call people and you make a sale or get a speaker. That's the events business and that is a what any events company will ask of you. I do think that Martin has put a lot of effort into making the company successful and grow events (or be the best ones in a specific area) or at least make our processes better and make us think outside the box. I've met fun and good people that I consider friends. There are weekly trainings for each of the departments as well as trainings with staff from Terrapinn global. And yeah, the company gives you 20 vacation days a year ( and 1 extra day after each year you spend with them) plus the Christmas week off and pretty much every holiday there is. Hours are 9-5 with 1 hour for lunch. The work-life balance is great and the new office is cool with amazing views of the Brooklyn bridge. There is a summer trip for all of the employees and they do a great Christmas party and a lot of happy hours. Sure there are ups and downs and projects that perform better than others, but I do feel everyone is given a chance.

Cons

-Some people have gotten many chances when they didn't deserve them and others haven't when they did deserve them. -Can get stressful around events season

"I wouldn't even wish this upon my worst enemy!"

Former Employee - Delegates Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn full-time

Pros

Opportunity to travel Meet Manager - VP level people (they do not attract CXOs to their events) Happy Hours!

Cons

I have had the immense pleasure of working with martin kelly, MD of the US office. I must say that guy has no clue of what he is doing. During his tenure the office has seen a considerable decline of quality events (established events did not grow but bit dust!) He will piggy back on your success and blame you for his shortcomings. He is the ONLY manager in office, other managers just have the job title. He will poke his nose in everything because he "thinks" he is the master of all. He is extremely unprofessional and harasses employees (female and male). The office promotes themselves as being an "equal opportunity", "no discrimination" workplace. However their global ceo, greg, would find the most random reason to dislike you and you will not know your fate in the company the next day! The company is full of lunatics! Though I must say I love his sense of dressing. If you are looking for a stopgap, do consider the opportunity. However if you are looking to make a career, then NYC is an OCEAN darling. Do value yourself, there are similar companies out there who would value you in return. If ever you get an interview with them, just ask them about their turnover rate, I hope you get an honest answer.

Found 165 reviews