Terrapinn Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Terrapinn Group CEO Greg Hitchen
Greg Hitchen

Pros
  • Opportunity to travel abroad and work with 5 star venues (in 6 reviews)

• If you show some true initiative, you will learn a lot from the people you work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover - but this is for a reason (in 12 reviews)

• Too much churn- management doesn't value solid revenue generating sales people (in 7 reviews)

1. "I grew as a person by working here"

I worked at Terrapinn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to travel to some nice places (Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago as an examples).
    Work-Life balance is ideal, with good hours, vacation, and even an end of summer company party (for instance to Atlantic City), as well as a Holiday Party in December).
    Young, outgoing environment. Everyone definitely treats each other with respect and it is a work hard, play hard mentality. Office is very nice, on the 25th floor with views overlooking Brooklyn Bridge.
    Management is there to help when needed and allows you to take control over your own events and make important decisions on your own.
    Overall I learned a great deal about business, sales, and marketing all while immersing myself in a couple different industries too.

Cons

Sometimes it's easy to get overwhelmed by targets and goals for your projects, but with the right plan and attitude this can easily be mitigated and management is there to drive you forward.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Jublia event app, and invest in newer technology as there are more effective solutions for events out there.

"Stay away! Zero stars."

I worked at Terrapinn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young team filled with potential but lacking corporate skills.

Cons

Horrible management that most likely never managed anyone before this job, high turnover for no reason, no talent development, sense of rush with no strategy. High sense of entitlement from people that only worked at Terrapinn all their lives. They have no previous valuable work experience and prey on preaching to the "young professionals" newly hired just because they believe to know better than the rest. The moment your event/project fails, it is your fault and if in one month the money doesn't come through, they will fire you. I saw around 6 of my close colleagues being fired in the middle of the day and being escorted out after managers had a 1x1 meeting to question if you really "know" what you were doing. Next day, you get cut.

Even if you are a recent graduate with student dept, don't jump on this wagon. It can scar you for life. People in the industry think Terrapinn is a joke, so don't even include this on your resume. Stay away!

Advice to Management

You wouldn't listen anyway. A company with no value, no compassion, no HR, no interest in developing people or talent just preying on young talent to make money - if it makes money.

3. "Great events company that works hard to be the best"

Current Employee - Conference Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Conference Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Terrapinn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Terrapinn for two years and this is a place that has rewarded my hard work and helped me grow professionally. Of course you have to work hard and have work ethic in order to be trusted with good projects. In these two years I haven't felt disrespected or harassed and I haven't seen anyone get harassed. I've been able to travel nationally and internationally, and I've seen new hires sent on international trips after being with the company for a few weeks. We are constantly encouraged to go to events and meet people that can help us do our job better.
    I don't think that people are micromanaged, and contrary to the last review, there ARE project directors/managers that choose how to manage their teams and are fully supported by upper management.

It's funny how people complain about making phone calls, that's what the job entails, you call people and you make a sale or get a speaker. That's the events business and that is a what any events company will ask of you. I do think that Martin has put a lot of effort into making the company successful and grow events (or be the best ones in a specific area) or at least make our processes better and make us think outside the box.

I've met fun and good people that I consider friends. There are weekly trainings for each of the departments as well as trainings with staff from Terrapinn global. And yeah, the company gives you 20 vacation days a year ( and 1 extra day after each year you spend with them) plus the Christmas week off and pretty much every holiday there is. Hours are 9-5 with 1 hour for lunch. The work-life balance is great and the new office is cool with amazing views of the Brooklyn bridge.

There is a summer trip for all of the employees and they do a great Christmas party and a lot of happy hours. Sure there are ups and downs and projects that perform better than others, but I do feel everyone is given a chance.

Cons

-Some people have gotten many chances when they didn't deserve them and others haven't when they did deserve them.
    -Can get stressful around events season

"I wouldn't even wish this upon my worst enemy!"

Former Employee - Delegates Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Delegates Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn full-time

Pros

Opportunity to travel
    Meet Manager - VP level people (they do not attract CXOs to their events)
    Happy Hours!

Cons

I have had the immense pleasure of working with martin kelly, MD of the US office. I must say that guy has no clue of what he is doing. During his tenure the office has seen a considerable decline of quality events (established events did not grow but bit dust!) He will piggy back on your success and blame you for his shortcomings. He is the ONLY manager in office, other managers just have the job title. He will poke his nose in everything because he "thinks" he is the master of all. He is extremely unprofessional and harasses employees (female and male).

The office promotes themselves as being an "equal opportunity", "no discrimination" workplace. However their global ceo, greg, would find the most random reason to dislike you and you will not know your fate in the company the next day! The company is full of lunatics! Though I must say I love his sense of dressing.

If you are looking for a stopgap, do consider the opportunity. However if you are looking to make a career, then NYC is an OCEAN darling. Do value yourself, there are similar companies out there who would value you in return. If ever you get an interview with them, just ask them about their turnover rate, I hope you get an honest answer.

Advice to Management

None

"A fine place to start, but don't stick around long"

I worked at Terrapinn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No experience necessary
    Good vacation policy
    Cool office
    Opportunity to network with lots of different people and companies in your selected industry

Cons

If you luck into events that established and successful, you can coast on that momentum for a while. If you work on a new event or one that's struggled in the past, be prepared for the failure to fall squarely on your shoulders.

6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Terrapinn (More than a year)

Pros

If you are motivated and interested in diverse industries and how they network, market their products, and services, and most of all do not mind sales and being on the phone, it is a great place to launch your career, or learn about other industries and establish some connections. Great office location, fun staff, made some lasting friendships here. Probably the best B2B sales training you will find anywhere.

Cons

If you need someone to hold your hand or motivate you, not the place for you. If you don't like being rated by how much you sell, not the place for you. If you get stuck with a bad event(s), you may be in trouble. Management has changed for the better over the last few years, but there was a time when they were swinging the axe left and right at people who weren't bringing in money.

Advice to Management

Try to understand each individual employee, their situations with respect to the events they are working on, and their unique sets of talent.

7. "Great place to learn. Work hard and you will reap the benefits."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you actually apply yourself, there is no limit to how much you can learn. This experience can then be carried forward with effect into your career later on. From constant interaction with c-level executives, to the project management experience you can attain from working on events across different industries. Some may not view it in the same way after expecting an easy ride working with events, but the NY office will provide you with the tools to succeed if you are open minded and driven.

Cons

There are some micromanaging elements, and there also needs to be more clarity on management structure.

Advice to Management

Keep up the same work from 2015 and the years to come will be as or more profitable.

"Rotten to the core. Run, if they offer you a job."

Former Employee - General in Privateer, SC
    Former Employee - General in Privateer, SC

I worked at Terrapinn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing at all - steer clear of this place
    Perhaps the location is OK

Cons

How long have you got? Really - there are much better places to work. The Global CEO is a shocker. Treats people like dirt. He should be removed

Advice to Management

Remove the incompetent Global CEO. Relieve him of his duties and watch your performance soar.

"Hot & Cold environment - very male dominated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Young and vibrant office full of people who want to "do" more. A social group of people who are mainly made of thirsty, hormonal men. Needless to say, it's pretty cliquey. In theory, this would be the perfect job if it wasn't for the awful management and lack of guidance. This is the place for you if you can be a "yes" man.

Cons

You're hired with false promises of growth, positivity, and stability. Unfortunately, you probably won't grow in your role, and you'll be surrounded by catty, child like behaviour, which causes unnecessary drama within the already young crowd. Ideally, there should be an organized scale of responsibilty in teams, but this isn't the case, as you will be constantly micromanaged, and fingers will be pointed at whoever "fails". Failure is also extremely transparent, and instead of working towards a positive fix - they use people who cannot reach the intangible goals as punching bags to threaten the rest of the employees. You can forget about constructive criticism, as management won't care for any great ideas you have, or they'll take them as their own. So, whoever wrote the "Terrapinn never says no to a good idea" review was definitely an internal plant by management. Pay is awful and don't dare ask for a raise, or even an acknowledgement of your accomplishments (It's never enough).

Advice to Management

Bring in someone who can speak with women, who is more open minded, and who doesn't consistently have to dominate a conversation. You know there is a problem when a "management" meeting is called and 85% of the office is in the room. P.S.: project directors shouldn't be considered "management". Revamp the hierarchy, and try to be more understanding of your employees....they're people, not robots.

"Avoid this place"

Former Employee - Conference Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, opportunities to travel a few times a year, Soho is a great area to work in

Cons

Management prefers to motivate using fear and putting people down, rather than celebrating successes. Most goals set are not SMART - not attainable and completely unrealistic. Minimal bonus structure for conference producers which leads to sponsorship heavy shows. Also, not much room for growth...you'll be doing the same job until you reach GM level, then you'll be doing the same work and helping others on your team as well. High turnover - but this is for a reason.

Advice to Management

Celebrate the successes members of your team have. Do not