Terumo BCT Reviews | Glassdoor

Terumo BCT Reviews

Updated 15 Oct 2019

3.6
Terumo BCT CEO Antoinette Gawin (no image)
Antoinette Gawin

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, great co-workers, life -saving products

Cons

upward mobility not great, middle management could be better trained to manage people, not just work

Terumo BCT2018-03-14

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - QP/Deputy QA Manager in Larne, Northern Ireland

I worked at Terumo BCT full-time for more than a year

Pros

great management, good salary, nice team spirit, definitely a great place to work.

Cons

people accent )if you are not UK citizen you'll struggle with Irish English.

Advice to Management

none

Terumo BCT2018-03-10

April 11, 2018Associate and Community Communications

We appreciate you taking time to submit a review and always like to hear that associates had a positive experience as part of Team Terumo. The global nature of our company offers the opportunity to interact with languages and dialects that differ greatly around the globe, adding to one’s adaptability to work in their home country and abroad.

"Technical Specialist II"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive pay, great benefits, frequently promote from within rather than hire external.

Cons

Annual raises are minimal, complicated processes.

Advice to Management

Always have the customer in mind.

Terumo BCT2018-03-01

March 12, 2018Associate and Community Communications

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are committed to associate development and strive to promote from within whenever an opportunity arises. We are also committed to becoming a more customer-centric organization and simplifying internal processes, we hope you’ll help us by getting involved and participating in discussions on these topics as we get ready to kick-off a new fiscal year!

"Company is outsourcing many important functions in the guise of driving 24-hour innovation."

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Terumo BCT full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- If you’re an Indian company that provides cheap work around the clock, you have a good chance of replacing highly qualified talent. - The CEO is a great, motivational presence, but the company culture makes him and his executive team completely inaccessible. - Constant customer/patient focus drives a commitment to high-quality, but archaic, cumbersome processes often slow innovation, as well as productivity, to a... grinding halt, and employees are forced to take the blame. - Lots of great managers, but their time spent in meetings or doing low-level tactical work causes them to be bad leaders.

Cons

- More and more functions are being outsourced to India; this is sold as strategic “partnerships” that will drive innovation, but astute, talented employees see the writing on the wall and are starting to jump ship. - There is a general lack of recognition for good, hard work or accomplishments. The company recognizes this, and created several categories of internal awards. These all codified a culture of a very few... getting the recognition that many others deserve. - There are managers throughout the organization who are not good leaders, and who do little to support their teams. Their poor leadership and lack of vision for themselves is projected onto their employees, who find themselves and their work unappreciated, their accomplishments unrecognized, and their chances for advancement within the organization bleak. Employees used to be able give feedback on their managers’ performance, but this hasn’t happened for a while, probably for reasons stated above. - There is little to no mentorship. As an employee you’re expected to be an expert and nothing less. Very few “leaders” are willing to take others under their wings, and those who are willing don’t have the bandwidth to do so. The company recognized this and instituted Harvard ManageMentor, which means that employees who want to learn and grow must have the initiative and be willing to do so on their own. It also means that only those people who can really learn from an online training will. Because there is a general lack of resources, and employees are overloaded with work, this learning must also take place during the employee’s own time. - There are many internal processes that are outdated and overly bureaucratic. These have become worse over time, a shame for a company that claims to value continuous improvement. - Company culture has created a buffer around the CEO and his executive team, essentially making them “off-limits.” - There is a lack of diversity among the executive leadership. - The company and the industry/market it is in are changing rapidly, and resistors to change outnumber change agents.

Advice to Management

Modernize. Allow employees to appraise their managers’ performance, and purge poor managers from the organization. Encourage genuine recognition for employees’ work and accomplishments.

Terumo BCT2018-02-03

February 23, 2018Associate and Community Communications

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. We agree that our CEO is motivational and our focus on patients is what drives our work every day. Terumo BCT is a global company with 6,000+ associates in many locations around the world serving customers in more than 130 countries. We’ve worked with trusted partners for many years--particularly in the Innovation & Development space with global research organizations. As we continue to grow and diversify globally, we are adding direct staff, and when it makes sense, we also leverage external partners. In the case of innovation and development, this type of global collaboration complements our in-house expertise and allows us to be more responsive to the needs of our customers by bringing products to market faster. In 2017, we increased the size of our global I&D team and the majority of that growth was in Lakewood. We recognize that internal controls and processes can become bureaucratic over time, particularly when you work in a heavily regulated industry like ours. We are committed to improving our internal processes and are focusing our efforts in a few areas that have the biggest impact on the daily work of our associates and that will improve our customer’s experience when interacting with us. Regarding recognition, leadership and associate development, no company can claim perfection and we will not. But, what we can say for certain is, these are topics we care deeply about as a company. We offer a wide variety of programs and make significant investments every year to improve in these areas and we will continue to do so.

"Ok Company"

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment and passionate about people

Cons

at times is can be too collaborative

Terumo BCT2018-01-31

February 9, 2018Associate and Community Communications

Thank you for sharing your feedback. As we continue to grow, we are working to find the balance of maintaining a culture of collaboration while empowering those closest to the issue to make the decision. If you have any specific suggestions or feedback that you’d like to share, we encourage you to discuss with your manager or human resources business partner or send an email to associatecommunications@terumobct.com.

"Culture depends on department"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Terumo BCT part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great benefits - Awesome products (very fulfilling to know you help take care of sick people) - Well-appointed campus (fitness center, lots of break rooms, clean and plentiful bathrooms, good cafeterias, good parking, relatively short walks between buildings) - Opportunities for both lateral and vertical motion within the company - Opportunities for international travel

Cons

- In certain departments: . Management are untouchable - that is, even if they make a mistake, the blame always falls to their subordinates . Very hierarchical and experience-based (i.e. young employees sometimes discounted out-of-hand) . Unsupportive atmosphere Overall: - Not a company that emphasizes individual accomplishment or personality - Not a praise-oriented company (although efforts are... being made to change this) - Appropriate compensation for the industry - just, not a super well-compensating industry

Advice to Management

Remember that you are represented by the culmination of your subordinates' work. Rather than being a little tyrant in your fiefdom, try every once in a while to take an interest in what goes on in your jurisdiction. You will be surprised how much weight comes with: 1) visiting an employee's cubicle (rather than summoning them to your office; 2) remembering something about their life (Do they have kids? A spouse? A... life outside of TBCT?); 3) complimenting them on some piece of work they've done in the past month.

Terumo BCT2018-01-12

February 9, 2018Associate and Community Communications

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We appreciate you sharing tangible actions that we can take to improve and for acknowledge those areas, such as recognition, that we are proactively addressing based on feedback received in our Associate Engagement Survey. If you have any other specific suggestions or feedback that you’d like to share, we encourage you to discuss with your manager or human resources business partner or send an email to associatecommunications@terumobct.com.

"Embarassing training staff..."

Current Employee - Assembler in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are decent Free Light Rail/RTD pass Payouts/Bonus

Cons

No pay raises No sick time PTO takes too long to accumulate People that have been there for ages act like high school bullies There's always drama It appears that only some people are promoted because of who they know or because of their ethnicity. Not all trainers are illiterate, but it truly makes me wonder why a couple of them are even trainers. We recently had some training, and it was painful to watch... one trainer fumble and stumble to read the simplest words.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for their actions. It's time to review those in leadership and training roles.

Terumo BCT2018-01-11

"Sales"

I worked at Terumo BCT full-time

Pros

Good company depending of the region, country you are located

Cons

To many "managers" and not much real workers in the field

Terumo BCT2018-01-05

"Genuine values and fueled by the customer!"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time for more than a year

Pros

Absolutely love this company! Great work life balance. Genuinely care about customers and employees. Great culture! :)

Cons

I don't have any complaints.

Advice to Management

Thank you for caring about the 'little guys.'

Terumo BCT2017-11-16

December 8, 2017Associate and Community Communications

So glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience at Terumo BCT and that our culture, values and customer commitment is resonating with you. Thank you for sharing a review, we hope you have a long-tenured career with us.

"Toxic Work Environment Inhibits Otherwise Exciting Products"

Former Employee - Software in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Terumo BCT full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is rewarding to contribute to devices that save lives. The company knows what a powerful idea this is and reinforces it at every quarterly meeting. It helps temper the negatives for a while. There are some phenomenal people working at Terumo. I have made some friendships that will last a lifetime. Some perks like the on-site gym and Eco pass are nice.

Cons

It is a toxic work environment for women. I was paid less than men with the same background and work experience, despite working just as hard. I was touched inappropriately. When this was reported, I was asked if I misunderstood what happened and that I should assume the "best of intentions." I heard many explicit comments about my own body and other female coworker's bodies. Before applying, do yourself a favor and... google how often they have been sued. Be sure to check under Terumo BCT, CaridanBCT, Gambro, and COBE, because there have been many name changes. The hardest workers and the laziest, most inept workers will likely get the same annual bonus. They have near identical chances for advancement. There is an unlimited sick time gap in the policy which the poor worker will take advantage of. There were some teammates that were sick nearly weekly. The poor worker will never be fired or demoted or punished in any visible way. If you work hard, this will be crushing to your overall morale. Since mediocrity is allowed to thrive due to the poor workers, no deadlines were ever hit in my tenure and there were no consequences for it. The technology is outdated. You will gain no transferable skills working here. I routinely worked on devices that were 40 years old. Below average compensation and high insurance premiums. A lot of the projects are being outsourced. This is due to the bad turnaround times on projects and lack of belief that we can do things in-house. Since we only seem to contract to Indian companies, I imagine that Terumo believes they are saving a lot of money. The quality is suffering though, and there is a lot of time wasted in reviewing and pushing back work to the offshore teams that the few competent internal engineers would have been able to knock out the project for less. There is a toxic amount of politics and fighting between groups. Cross-functional collaboration is not a thing here. Interdepartmental wars are. Imagine escalating emails by copying superiors on emails; spreading rumors about other managers; zero communication; showing up late to meetings; interrupting others; shouting matches; and a general lack of accountability. Finally, there are little annoyances that nip at you incessantly. The parking is a joke. In the winter, you will get an email explaining that you have to put down your own sand/salt mixture and should "walk like a penguin" to avoid slipping on the ice since they will not be shoveling the walks. The indoor temperature is either thermonuclear or an ice chest depending on where you are. The cafeteria has many critical health code violations from the County of Lakewood (look up Sodexo at Terumo BCT on their website).

Advice to Management

Clean house.

Terumo BCT2017-11-10

November 14, 2017Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for sharing feedback about your time at Terumo BCT. We agree with your observation that there are some phenomenal people who work at Terumo BCT. While we disagree with many of your other statements, some of your comments are of serious concern, and we are particularly troubled by your report that you and others were subjected to harassment while at work. We take our commitment to our associates and conducting ourselves with the highest ethical standards very seriously. Terumo BCT does not tolerate harassment per our global Code of Conduct. We strongly encourage you to contact our confidential ethics hotline at 1.800.261.9347 to formally report your harassment allegation so that Terumo BCT may take appropriate action.

Found 193 reviews