Tesla Employee Reviews about "changing the world"
60% would recommend to a friend
(73 total reviews)
70% approve of CEO
What people are saying about Tesla
The Work-Life Bowl
3 months ago
With the way my hours are set at tesla i get Sunday-Tuesday/Wednesday alternates. I've been thinking of getting into a trade or class be license but with so many options and Hvac kind've looking like that route to go, any one with ideas of positions to look into with great pay but not as much back breaking.
6 months ago
Long story short; got an offer from amazon kuiper (seattle) for 250k last week and now tesla is giving a counter offer for 250k to stay. Been with tesla for 2 yrs and the projects been good and the next couple yrs should be the same. I don’t see my projects get any more complex or challenging for the next year or two. But I expect kuiper project to teach me quite a bit. Should i stay? Hardware engineer Tc 170 Yoe2+masters
Got a burning question about Tesla? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Tesla employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "great benefits and full of incredible opportunities" (in 666 reviews)
- "Great people and feels great to be apart of the overall mission of the company." (in 492 reviews)
- "Pay is good and it is exciting to see all the leading technology in electric cars" (in 467 reviews)
- "Great Job and team atmoshpere" (in 200 reviews)
- "Coworkers are great and helpful" (in 153 reviews)
- "No work life balance and very demanding" (in 498 reviews)
- "Long hours and working weekends are fairly normal depending on the importance and timelines of projects." (in 452 reviews)
- "very poor management; no life and work balance; pay rate is miserable according to the work being done." (in 423 reviews)
- "Long hours are expected" (in 166 reviews)
- "The managers have no auto sales/ industry experience." (in 154 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Tesla and is not affected by filters.
Found 73 of over 10K reviews
Updated Nov 29, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Reviews about "changing the world"Return to all Reviews
- 5.0Aug 24, 2016Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
With other tech companies, you can't get work done as quickly and implement solutions because of the structure. Tesla still has a start up culture which is very fast paced. The work is extremely exciting and you are surrounded by people who want to change the world and get the world's best cars to customers. At the Gigafactory, all of the interns knew each other and went to Lake Tahoe or explored Reno every weekend. I think it goes without saying that at Tesla, you will not be treated like an intern. You will be treated like one of the team and I would say that I was even treated like family.
If you are looking to work 40 hours per week, Tesla is not for you. Also, Tesla wants to provide affordable cars and sometimes those savings mean less resources for employees. Also, you 100% need your own car because there was no shuttle service when I was there.3
- 2.0Nov 15, 2023Technical WriterFormer Employee, more than 1 yearSparks, NV
Work with motivated people from around the world who generally seem to care about their work and the company's stated mission
Poor working environment, very little structure for writers, constantly changing documentation means you're always playing catchup1
- 4.0Aug 7, 2021Inside SalesCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearLas Vegas, NV
benefits, stock options, product, team, coaching, overtime is not required
need time management, and grinding through leads when its busy. career path outside of sales not very clear. dont drink the cool-aid; 'youre making a difference in the world by helping people use sustainable energy'.
- 2.0Nov 17, 2015Regional Sales ManagerFormer EmployeePalo Alto, CA
A company that's achieving the impossible gets a great deal of respect in the business world. If you get satisfaction from working all the time it's the place for you.
Limited balance, limited mobility, no security - lost culture and poor direction from upper level (VP, Senior Management).16
- 5.0Feb 15, 2022Software EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 1 year
It's great working for a company that is genuinely making the world a better place.
Direction from senior management can shift quickly, so you need to be able to quickly switch from project to project.
- 4.0Jun 11, 2021Customer Experience SpecialistFormer Employee
Stocks are a very nice benefit considering the direction the world is headed in with electric vehicles.
They could do a much better job of hiring the right people.
- 5.0Jul 10, 2018Intern - HourlyCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearLathrop, CA
Having the opportunity to work for a company that is changing the world is exhilarating and rewarding. The projects I get to work on are right up my alley, challenging, and stretch my ability to allow me to learn on the job. The compensation is adequate for the work put in, and I feel valued every day at work. Team around me is encouraging and kind which creates a pleasant place to go into work each day.
The only con I can perceive is that Tesla is a high stress, high pace environment. People here work really hard and get things done. I wouldn’t say it is for everyone, but for a lot of people they would fit right in and feel at home.153
- 4.0Apr 3, 2013PurchasingCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsFremont, CA
Tesla is an exciting environment and there is never a dull moment. The constants media attention is interesting. There is unlimited challenging opportunities. It is rewarding to change the world with innovative products and a game changing business model.
The hours are long and the challenges can be extremely difficult. It can be difficult for individuals and teams to have enough energy and innovation to accomplish goals year after year in a perpetual start-up environment. There is very little formal training.1
- 4.0Apr 22, 2023Advanced Robotics InternFormer Intern, less than 1 yearPalo Alto, CA
Amazingly passionate people working towards a powerful mission to help make world a better place.
Long working hours and compensation a bit lower than the leading AI companies out there.
- 3.0May 19, 2017Anonymous EmployeeFormer EmployeeFremont, CA
Exciting products Brilliant people to work with Brand recognition Employees are empowered to do what needs to be done Lean management structure
Definitely a cult like environment No room for descent, there is one company line and everyone tows it, period Management mentality that it's 'the best company in the world' so no need to put effort into retaining staff. There are always more people to pick from No work life balance. Its a meat grinder, no matter what level performer you are12