Tessella Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alan Gaby

1. "Quality people, interesting work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

Tessella has some of the strongest individuals I have ever worked with. Really smart folks with a passion for learning new things and creating interesting solutions. I like how I can work on different projects instead of doing the same old thing. The culture is great across the company. I see myself building a career at Tessella.

Cons

I work in the US and sometimes find the UK rules a little weird. Paperwork for expenses and travel can be annoying, but it's not a huge deal.

Advice to Management

Raise Tessella's profile with potential clients. It's no fun having to explain we're not the people who create cool electric cars!

2. "Very Enlightening"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tessella full-time

Pros

Variety of projects
    Quick promotion
    Great work culture. Small and friendly staff
    Bi-annual conference in England

Cons

Small office space
    Lack of variety in project industries

3. "Nice Company"

I have been working at Tessella full-time

Pros

Nice and intelligent people to work with.

Cons

Sometimes there are no projects available for people to work on.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

401(k) matching, annual conferences, good colleagues

Cons

Poor leadership and weak sales team have led to layoffs and they will continue to occur.

Advice to Management

Management and sales need to understand the demands of industry better.

6. "A Great Place to Learn & Develop"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Tessella full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tessella's clients provide us with a variety of challenging an interesting projects, while we are enable to volunteer for internal projects in which to develop skills and experience. We are highly committed to sharing knowledge which makes it easy to get help when working on new kinds of problems.

Cons

Tessella's changing fast, with some ideas being pushed forwards by employees, and others being driven down from senior management. People who get stuck in consider Tessella to be a very exciting place to work and full of opportunities - while others are concerned about how the changes are affecting their career expectations.

Advice to Management

Don't read too deeply into any advice offered from anonymous sources where there is poor setting of context and possible hidden agenda's.

"Time to move on"

Former Employee - Analyst Programmer in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst Programmer in Abingdon, England (UK)

I worked at Tessella full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good first company to join from University to learn how business and how to program

Well defined internal processes

Cons

I worked on a project where I knew relatively nothing when I started. 18months later I was still on the project and it was just turning the handle to bill hours on my timesheet. I wasn't really learning much more and my requests to move to another project with different technologies just fell on deaf ears. I had to leave as if I hadn't, I would still be doing the same thing now, and I would have skills that were not transferable outside one specific customer meaning my chances of getting a better job would be lower.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. If someone requests to move to a project, act on it (I waited 5 months). Just because you are charging a client is not the sole criteria to measure that everyone is happy and the project is a success.

8. "it was OK"

Former Employee - Analyst Programmer
    Former Employee - Analyst Programmer

Pros

A few interesting projects and a free lunch each month

Cons

What they say and what they do are different.

A lot of people with experience but you cannot use them without a project phase and task code and have them bill to your project and overrun. You don't even have the privileges to see code and design documents from another project and learn from it.

Noisy office

"Good company - excellent staff, interesting work but can be frustrating with time"

Former Employee - Analyst Programmer in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst Programmer in Stevenage, England (UK)

Pros

Great place to start your career. Lots of training and knowledge transfer within the company.

- Interesting and wide variety of data science projects
    - People are very friendly, helpful and bright
    - Customers from many domains
    - Excellent training opportunities available

Cons

- Junior staff are promoted based on time-served
    - Often only 1 technical person per project - can create feeling of being isolated

Advice to Management

Run projects where there are more technical staff on each project.
    Modify the time-served model - some members of staff put in a lot more effort than others and should be rewarded for it.

"Good for finding feet, not good for high achievers"

Former Employee - Software Consultant
    Former Employee - Software Consultant

Pros

Tessella gave me a glimpse into the software engineering world and was interesting at first as I tried to learn something new - I had never done professional software engineering so was a real eye opener. I learned new skills outside of academia that have been valuable to me ever since.

For a company, they do have a generous training allowance, including a twice a year conference where the company gets together, which is always interesting.

The CEO is a decent person and does listen.

Cons

Tessella market themselves as a science focused company, however I found that there was very little science to what I was doing - I was generally building web applications that required very little software knowledge. You can strike lucky and get a science related project, but from where I was, they were few and far between. Making noises about this didn't help either - as others have said on here, once you were on a project, you were stuck with it. Higher management and sales can be ineffective with communication too - there were very frustrating moments where I thought I was being lined up for more interesting multiple times, only to find that I had then been forgotten about and that someone else had been given the role that I was training for.

Tessella is very money focused, and seems unable to try to improve internal processes and systems to make their workers happier and more efficient, even though through their consultancy, try to make others efficient in the same way.

Promotions are also a joke. I, like other junior staff, were promoted based on time, not ability. It was clear there were people who should have been further up the ladder because of the effort they put in compared to others.

Personally, I felt held back by the company, as a trained scientist. I know of many who had been trained to similar levels to me who felt as held back as I did.

Advice to Management

Some reflection on listening to what the employees feel would make them happier. Trying to introduce a culture where you say "Let's investigate" over "No", only to then say that you aren't going to change the hated timesheet system in the next sentence doesn't really inspire confidence.

11. "Great learning experience"

I worked at Tessella full-time

Pros

Brilliant place to learn the craft

Cons

Can be lots of travel

Advice to Management

Consider introducing more formal testing