Tessella Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Alan Gaby

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Client and staff focused company"

I have been working at Tessella full-time

Pros

Loyal to staff
    Interesting projects
    Very organized and well governed
    Good training benefits

Cons

Gaps between projects and client work

"Good starter company"

I have been working at Tessella full-time

Pros

Good way to gain lots of experience in a variety of fields and with an assortment of technologies

Cons

Little consideration for employees as people. They may put you onsite at a client for two years that is located two hours away and that's just how it is. You can't move closer to the client because they might take you off just as fast. Also, there is not always enough work to go around. The best, more experienced people are snapped up, while newer people may spend significant time training before being assigned to a project.

3. "Nice Company"

I have been working at Tessella full-time

Pros

Nice and intelligent people to work with.

Cons

Sometimes there are no projects available for people to work on.

4. "Quality people, interesting work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

Tessella has some of the strongest individuals I have ever worked with. Really smart folks with a passion for learning new things and creating interesting solutions. I like how I can work on different projects instead of doing the same old thing. The culture is great across the company. I see myself building a career at Tessella.

Cons

I work in the US and sometimes find the UK rules a little weird. Paperwork for expenses and travel can be annoying, but it's not a huge deal.

Advice to Management

Raise Tessella's profile with potential clients. It's no fun having to explain we're not the people who create cool electric cars!

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

401(k) matching, annual conferences, good colleagues

Cons

Poor leadership and weak sales team have led to layoffs and they will continue to occur.

Advice to Management

Management and sales need to understand the demands of industry better.

6. "Very Enlightening"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tessella full-time

Pros

Variety of projects
    Quick promotion
    Great work culture. Small and friendly staff
    Bi-annual conference in England

Cons

Small office space
    Lack of variety in project industries

"Career development is the biggest strength"

Current Employee - Consultant in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Tessella full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked here nearly 20 years after stints in other industries with other employers. What really works here is the focus on staff development - this is not altruistic; consultants are worth more when they can do more, so you are encouraged & given opportunity to do more. Very strong focus on the relationship between the you and your Line Manager, who plays a mentoring role. Projects are varied across multiple scientific domains - common factor is they tend to be hard. Your colleagues are all smart people (high proportion of STEM PhD) and that makes for interesting office banter. You won't find people discussing Love Island in the break room. Hard work culture, not a long hours culture - what matters is getting stuff done, and done well. Very supportive of EU staff facing uncertainty over Brexit.

Cons

Can give impression of being more bureaucratic than a smaller company would be, but that in part is driven by a blue chip client list. Actually, management is way more flexible and needs driven than the staff manual implies.

Advice to Management

Make a greater effort to be more diverse. Not just about gender, also about different science degrees, different backgrounds, people in different roles - Leadership team is overwhelmingly white, middle-class male

8. "A Great Place to Learn & Develop"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Tessella full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tessella's clients provide us with a variety of challenging an interesting projects, while we are enable to volunteer for internal projects in which to develop skills and experience. We are highly committed to sharing knowledge which makes it easy to get help when working on new kinds of problems.

Cons

Tessella's changing fast, with some ideas being pushed forwards by employees, and others being driven down from senior management. People who get stuck in consider Tessella to be a very exciting place to work and full of opportunities - while others are concerned about how the changes are affecting their career expectations.

Advice to Management

Don't read too deeply into any advice offered from anonymous sources where there is poor setting of context and possible hidden agenda's.

"Time to move on"

Former Employee - Analyst Programmer in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst Programmer in Abingdon, England (UK)

I worked at Tessella full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good first company to join from University to learn how business and how to program

Well defined internal processes

Cons

I worked on a project where I knew relatively nothing when I started. 18months later I was still on the project and it was just turning the handle to bill hours on my timesheet. I wasn't really learning much more and my requests to move to another project with different technologies just fell on deaf ears. I had to leave as if I hadn't, I would still be doing the same thing now, and I would have skills that were not transferable outside one specific customer meaning my chances of getting a better job would be lower.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. If someone requests to move to a project, act on it (I waited 5 months). Just because you are charging a client is not the sole criteria to measure that everyone is happy and the project is a success.

"it was OK"

Former Employee - Analyst Programmer
    Former Employee - Analyst Programmer

Pros

A few interesting projects and a free lunch each month

Cons

What they say and what they do are different.

A lot of people with experience but you cannot use them without a project phase and task code and have them bill to your project and overrun. You don't even have the privileges to see code and design documents from another project and learn from it.

Noisy office