Texan Eye Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tom Walters

"Good experience with a great practice"

Current Employee - Ophthalmic Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Ophthalmic Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

Pay is fair, good benefits, managers are willing to work with my schedule and emergencies, great supervisors, friendly staff. If you're willing to work for it, there's room for growth in the company.

Cons

Communication and cooperation could be better between departments. It would also be nice to have yearly reviews or cost of living adjustments.

Advice to Management

Make sure supervisors let their employees know they're appreciated. It would be great to have company events open to all employees every once in a while.

2. "Awful"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Austin, TX

I worked at Texan Eye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, a lot of down time, learned a lot about cataract surgeries

Cons

No 401k, didn't receive proper training, other employees rude, too much down time

Advice to Management

HR should notice how many other people have left in such a short span on time

"Not Worth It"

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Texan Eye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full benefits
    Decent pay
    8-5 Mon-Friday

Cons

You are taught only what you need to scrape by. So when patients ask specific questions that we are supposed to know the answer to the techs either leave the room to google it or have to make up an answer that could be mis-informed. When brought to the supervisor's attention they do not care.
    They don't order nearly enough supplies, we are constantly out of hand sanitizer.
    There are roaches in our office, we are a health office, yet there are roaches.

Advice to Management

TRAIN YOUR STAFF!

"Growing company with great opportunities"

Current Employee - Call Center
    Current Employee - Call Center

I have been working at Texan Eye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started at Texan Eye over a year ago and there is so much opportunity to grow with the company. I love my job and my co-workers are so awesome!

Cons

Some co-workers (former) brought down the environment and I'm so relieved. It was a little rough during the transition but the new staff quickly has changed the mood in my department.

Advice to Management

We are so big that it would be great to have company gathering to meet some of the other great folks that we work with but never see.

"It seemed awesome.... And then....."

Former Employee - Communications Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Communications Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Texan Eye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The awesome people I had the opportunity to work with in the call center.

Cons

Your work is not appreciated and Management has no clue what they are doing. Turn over is high and they would rather bring in new employees that have no experience and pay them more, than give raises to hard working, experienced and loyal employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and value the work they do and see how much harder they work for you.

7. "Great company to work for"

I worked at Texan Eye full-time

Pros

Good starting pay, supervisors are amazing, easy schedule, good benefits

Cons

Not so easy to transfer to a different location, some of the higher ups are slow with request

Advice to Management

The higher ups are slow with some of the request, if they could work faster it would be nice. Pay attention to your staff, there were issues amongst a lot that are always just looked past

8. "Recommend"

Former Employee - Ophthalmic Assistant
    Former Employee - Ophthalmic Assistant

I worked at Texan Eye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff, great training practices and very thorough. Good with implementation of policy and guidelines. Very structured work place. Doctors are knowledgeable and kind. Good benefits

Cons

Lack of praise. Lack of communication between departments. Paper records, no emr. Don't seem to value or encourage employees for certification. No yearly raises. No 401k

Advice to Management

Implement yearly cost of living raises. Value your employees by paying accordingly and acknowledging skill.

"Billing office"

Former Employee - Billing Office in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Billing Office in Austin, TX

I worked at Texan Eye full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was able to buy glasses or sunglasses at a nice discount.

Cons

This company has the worst billing manager, never any raises, always the same old repetitive and boring luncheons for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Management was very inconsistent because one day one supervisor tells you do your job one way and the next day another supervisor is telling you to do it another way, so they need a more effective way of training and have management be responsible for training everyone correctly instead of making other veteran employees (which are not paid trainers, but regular hourly paid employees) train the new hires, causing their own workload to pile through out the work day and still be expected to meet end of day/week/month deadlines.

Advice to Management

Learn to have a better and more professional attitude. Start being appreciative of your employees and consider giving raises because they are non existent here. This also is a major reason why your employees lose interest in continuing employment at Texan Eye, and has caused the company to have such a high turn over rate of new hires. If you treat people who work for you respectfully and give them proper training as well as promotional opportunities you may find a solution to your inability to hire and keep new persons of employment.

10. "Interesting Experience with a poorly managed team"

Former Employee - Ophthalmic Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Ophthalmic Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Texan Eye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot and they offer training on the job. Pay is decent and the office is well-equipped. If you are already trained, this seems like an excellent place to work.

Cons

Poor management of time, human resources and training. The "training program" they offer is completely saturated with new employees. The management there has no issue having you stand around doing nothing for 3 hours per day because they do not have the time to train all of their new employees. My experience there may be an outlier, but they are very, very unforgiving of mistakes, even if it means restarting the entire training process on a replacement for you.

Advice to Management

Mistakes will be made with any new employee you are training. It makes more sense to view a mistake that a competent person makes as an intrinsic part of training, and not a fault of character, work ethic or competency. In addition, making an example of someone by firing them is an extremely costly, inefficient method of "training." I do not think you should, in the future, fire a new employee for doing something 95% of your current employees do. And do not hire more than one person at a time if you want high-quality employees, especially not 5....

"The Worst"

Former Employee - Insurance Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Insurance Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at Texan Eye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Typical benefits, nothing special. You get paid on time. They offer 1 free vision exam. I had one and was given an for rx glasses. Only problem was I couldn't see wearing glasses. After a 2nd exam by a tech I was told I had 20/20 vision.

Cons

Greed. Fraternization, rules are different for certain employees, majority of MDs are not approachable, the IT person is probably the most unhappy person you'll ever meet. Pay is awful and they over work most of their employees. Benefits are minimal. Nothing is done for employees birthdays, no one is recognized for loyalty, or anything frankly. No holiday parties or events for employees.

Advice to Management

Find a better practice to work at and let Steven Dell and the other owners/MDs work it out. This isn't a group of MDs/Owners you want to work for. Greed rules. They don't deserve all of the help they get to make their world go round. Get out now.