Texas A & M University - Central Texas Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Student Worker
    Former Employee - Student Worker

I worked at Texas A & M University - Central Texas part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The University offers lots to its employees (mostly to full time employees). Hosts lots of events to encourage interaction and motivation among employees.

Cons

I had a student worker position that couldn't move up into a full time position.

Advice to Management

none.

2. "Great school!"

Pros

Enjoy the staff I work with!

Cons

As a student worker, I can't work full-time.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Killeen, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Killeen, TX

I have been working at Texas A & M University - Central Texas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part, everyone is nice. Almost 2 weeks of vacation for Christmas break. Employee scholarship for those attending college. Extremely laid back environment.

Cons

Pay is extremely low, but potential to move up is high. The turnover is high because people move (military town) or they get better jobs.

5. "Senior Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Killeen, TX

I worked at Texas A & M University - Central Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My management team was very understanding to me having children allowed me to work from home on many occasions. It's a small school, so it feels more like a family. Work-life balance was great.

Cons

The staff salaries aren't competitive. Pay is very poor.

6. "All employees of color"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Central, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Central, TX

Pros

Opportunity to support military members and their families and the general public achieve their education goals. .

Cons

EEO is non-existent. Staff employee's of color are treated like second hand citizens from upper management. The staff do not feel comfortable bringing up concerns because past issues have never been resolved. And any discrimination or unfair treatment get's swept under the rug. There is only promotion, advancement, and job security for the Caucasian sector.

Advice to Management

Create a true EEO office. Have a safe place that staff members can truly feel supported and not just management. Listen to the issues the staff of other races are having. Train upper management to be true leaders of people, and not just be someone that has the title.

7. "Review of upper administration"

Pros

Great opportunities to impart your vision and innovation into positions and programs that are newly created at this university that began in 2009.

Cons

Several members in upper administration are viewed as very political with big egos who are only out for how much power their departments will have over other departments. Very high staff turnover at the university.

8. "Well it's growing"

I worked at Texas A & M University - Central Texas part-time

Pros

There are a lot of really good people there.
    Very understanding with schedules.

Cons

Lack of engagement and hierarchy for lower level employees.
    Growing pains due to being a new university.

9. "Review"

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Killeen, TX

Pros

You are working in education and the time off at Christmas (about two weeks paid) is fantastic. You are also working for the State of Texas in a roundabout way, and the benefits are great.

Cons

I will say, that some of these things depend heavily upon who your supervisor is. That being said, the University on the whole doesn't value more than the top 5-10% of their employees. For example, I saw a job posting not long ago that wanted a master's and five years of experience and they wanted to pay the position $35K - and this is after they did a salary study and raised a lot of salaries, especially their admin staff (but not by much). The admin staff, on the whole, is not treated well and is grossly undervalued. Considering that it is an institution of higher education, they don't place much value on those that have degrees. A lot of positions, especially the lower level positions, don't require more than a high school diploma and part of that has to do with the fact that they don't want to pay anyone anything. If you look on Texas Tribune, you can see that there is a huge difference in the top staff and the bottom (who do a TON of work) and not a lot of middle ground. If you don't like office politics, you will hate this. There is a ton of it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! You have some great people and a lot of untapped talent, and you won't keep them long if you don't start paying them like they are valued!

10. "work time"

I have been working at Texas A & M University - Central Texas part-time

Pros

not balanced among workers, not balanced among workers,not balanced among workers

Cons

work time not too long,work time not too long,work time not too long

Advice to Management

good balance among all the workers and make sure everybody can feel that the environment is fair to each person

11. "Research Assistant"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Texas A & M University - Central Texas part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked that the working there was so easy, I had time to finish my work, I loved management, I enjoyed my office that was given to me.

Cons

I wish there was better IT help, computers freeze all the time, my headset was a bit old, I had to use a script that was dated to complete my interview.

Advice to Management

focus on growing IT, update the script better when interviewing clients over the phone, hire more staff and create a chain of command