Texas A & M University - Central Texas Reviews

CEO

1. "Research Assistant"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Texas A & M University - Central Texas part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked that the working there was so easy, I had time to finish my work, I loved management, I enjoyed my office that was given to me.

Cons

I wish there was better IT help, computers freeze all the time, my headset was a bit old, I had to use a script that was dated to complete my interview.

Advice to Management

focus on growing IT, update the script better when interviewing clients over the phone, hire more staff and create a chain of command

2. "All employees of color"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Central, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Central, TX

Pros

Opportunity to support military members and their families and the general public achieve their education goals. .

Cons

EEO is non-existent. Staff employee's of color are treated like second hand citizens from upper management. The staff do not feel comfortable bringing up concerns because past issues have never been resolved. And any discrimination or unfair treatment get's swept under the rug. There is only promotion, advancement, and job security for the Caucasian sector.

Advice to Management

Create a true EEO office. Have a safe place that staff members can truly feel supported and not just management. Listen to the issues the staff of other races are having. Train upper management to be true leaders of people, and not just be someone that has the title.

3. "Review of upper administration"

Pros

Great opportunities to impart your vision and innovation into positions and programs that are newly created at this university that began in 2009.

Cons

Several members in upper administration are viewed as very political with big egos who are only out for how much power their departments will have over other departments. Very high staff turnover at the university.

5. "Well it's growing"

I worked at Texas A & M University - Central Texas part-time

Pros

There are a lot of really good people there. Very understanding with schedules.

Cons

Lack of engagement and hierarchy for lower level employees. Growing pains due to being a new university.

6. "Review"

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Killeen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Killeen, TX

Pros

You are working in education and the time off at Christmas (about two weeks paid) is fantastic. You are also working for the State of Texas in a roundabout way, and the benefits are great.

Cons

I will say, that some of these things depend heavily upon who your supervisor is. That being said, the University on the whole doesn't value more than the top 5-10% of their employees. For example, I saw a job posting not long ago that wanted a master's and five years of experience and they wanted to pay the position $35K - and this is after they did a salary study and raised a lot of salaries, especially their admin staff (but not by much). The admin staff, on the whole, is not treated well and is grossly undervalued. Considering that it is an institution of higher education, they don't place much value on those that have degrees. A lot of positions, especially the lower level positions, don't require more than a high school diploma and part of that has to do with the fact that they don't want to pay anyone anything. If you look on Texas Tribune, you can see that there is a huge difference in the top staff and the bottom (who do a TON of work) and not a lot of middle ground. If you don't like office politics, you will hate this. There is a ton of it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! You have some great people and a lot of untapped talent, and you won't keep them long if you don't start paying them like they are valued!

7. "work time"

I have been working at Texas A & M University - Central Texas part-time

Pros

not balanced among workers, not balanced among workers,not balanced among workers

Cons

work time not too long,work time not too long,work time not too long

Advice to Management

good balance among all the workers and make sure everybody can feel that the environment is fair to each person

8. "Excellent environment"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in College Station, TX

I worked at Texas A & M University - Central Texas part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A tenured professor as an advisor will be extremely hands-off. A tenure-track advisor will micro-manage. Somewhere in the middle is just right.

Cons

9. "Excellent Research Potential"

Former Employee - Research Chemist in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Research Chemist in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Texas A & M University - Central Texas part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Superb Staff and excellent facilities

Cons

Poor Parking and expensive passes

10. "Exceptional co-workers. Caring, professional people."

I have been working at Texas A & M University - Central Texas full-time

Pros

Able to attend School on campus while working on Campus. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Parking was a challenge specially during winter months.

Advice to Management

Great people...

11. "ok place"

Pros

University calendar for days off for family time.

Cons

Benefits slowly being taken away, including University days off so family time is less and less. Annual leave is in question, certain university leaders would like to see this reduced for staff. Health benefits have been reduced. People in the creative field such as graphic designers are not appreciated and compared to secretaries and often graphic design jobs are given to secretaries and graphic design positions are reduced.

RSS Feed </> Embed