Texas Campaign for the Environment Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robin Schneider

1. "A Real Environmental Warrior"

Current Employee - Community Organizer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Community Organizer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Campaign for the Environment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Texas Campaign gets stuff done. The work environment is great! Everyone is super nice, and they make sure you are trained well before embarking on the day. If you love working outside thats a plus, and you spend you're day making a change and its tangible. There's lots of room for advancement if you work hard, and theres room for travel. Some the events they hold can be really fun. Definitely a unique atmosphere.

Cons

It's Texas so sometimes it can get really hot walking around for 5 hours. Great exercise though?
    Sometimes non-support gets to you but you just got to learn that there's always a supporter just around the bend.
    It can sometimes feel a little exhausting, but I expect that with any job you're dedicated to.

2. "Hard Work Worth Doing"

Former Employee - Community Organizer in Austin, TX

Pros

The staff at TCE is genuinely welcoming and invested in your success while at the organization. The training process is in depth while being digestible for a person brand new at community organizing. You're never fully alone when out organizing a neighborhood because the field managers are always available to help. The causes the organization campaigns for are noble and will affect real change for the environment in Texas. They are not easy to accomplish, but TCE has strategic plans involving the grassroots organizing I did while working there. Raising nightly standard may seem unrealistic on your first day but it is absolutely achievable every night. The staff will teach you all the skills necessary, including the positive attitude it takes to get through the non-supporters.

Cons

It's a non-profit that pays their employees. Meaning that they cannot hold onto those who are consistently not meaning the weekly standard for organizing. The hours are for flexible people, who don't have other priorities in the afternoon/evening.

"Warriors of Justice :I"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Houston, TX

Pros

The employees generally make you feel welcome, however, after a few days, you will realize it is obviously contrived. Every once in a while, you will meet someone at the door who can carry on a nice conversation, which makes the otherwise miserable day slightly better.

Cons

They will literally hire anyone because they are aware of the immense turnover. The management is positive to a fault and unrealistic. Some areas where we would work were obviously not areas that have a significant population of environmentalists, so that makes your nightly goal nearly impossible to make. They say not to word about non-support, but chastise you if you say there was a surplus of non-support. God forbid you say anything negative about your "turf" because the field managers will give you a rehearsed speech about not letting the negativity get to you. Managers will ask you "what you did wrong" when asking you why you didn't make your night when the majority of making your night is obviously luck. Their excuse for one not making the night is "well, you must've gotten frustrated".. when, in reality, the post-canvass conversation is the most frustrating portion of the evening.

Management is not transparent when discussing what your pay will be, how you get your pay, and what will actually make you successful. The longer you are with the organization, the more you realize just how full of it everyone is.

There is almost no chance of ACTUAL advancement. It literally takes years in the organization to be in a place where one might actually be able to support themselves.

Online donations are another issue entirely.. Several times I had confirmation of online donations, and I had to present that in order to get credit. I believe many of them "fall through the cracks" and management will never make an effort to figure out exactly where they should be going.. Who knows where that money ended up

Knocking on people's doors after 8pm is completely rude.. no other explanation needed.

The hours say 2-10, but in actuality, it's much closer to 1-11.. you will NOT be paid for the extra time.

Advice to Management

Be realistic. Be honest. Don't treat employees with a lack of respect or fill them with false information regarding exactly what it is you do in these communities.

5. "Small organization that does great work"

Former Employee - Community Organizer in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Campaign for the Environment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-passionate and dedicate staff
    -casual work environment
    -not sitting at a desk all day
    -never bored at work
    -good experience for someone wanting to create change and get involved in the environmental movement

Cons

-low pay, (didn't expect more, it's a non-profit)
    -schedule makes it hard to have a life outside of work

Advice to Management

none really, keep up the good work

6. "Political Organizer"

Former Employee - Political Organizer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Political Organizer in Dallas, TX

Pros

The employer is very friendly, and canvassing can feel like you're making a real difference in the community. It's really more like a sales position (just with donations instead of sales), but they're not going to mention it until after your first day "observation day".

Cons

The job is essentially to get people to donate money to TCE, which about half is used to pay you. Theres a set standard and if you don't make that standard they'll pay you half of what you made, or they'll pay you hourly (depending which is higher). The success can often depend on luck, which means how many people you meet who are supporters of the cause. If you want to make standard you're going to have to pressure people who don't really care about the cause or people who are unsure about the cause to donate.

Advice to Management

Be up front about how you plan on paying potential employees, instead of waiting until after they waste an entire day during "observation day". I understand that it may be an attempt to get people to try the job first, but it's misleading and kind of scummy. It's also pretty scummy to call "observation day" an interview instead of training (it's really part of training) so that you don't have to pay for an entire day of training when the individual didn't get you a lot of donations.

7. "Field Organizer/Canvasser"

Former Employee - Field Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Campaign for the Environment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The cause is great and the people are invested in training the next generation of progressive leaders in Texas.

Cons

Compensation is lacking, even when promoted to senior manager. Health insurance benefits take too long to earn, and even once you get them they are abysmal.

Advice to Management

Offer better health benefits and compensation.

8. "Great place to work to enact real change!"

I worked at Texas Campaign for the Environment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to meet some great people who are all passionate about the work that they do. There is also a good training process in place, so they will help you as much as possible to become the best employee that you can be. You get to learn about the many environmental issues and movements occurring, both locally and nationwide. If you want to feel as though you're making a difference in the environmental movement, this is a great place to do it.

Cons

The working hours are inflexible, but they can be a pro/con depending on the type of person you are (2-10pm).

9. "Hard Work Making Real Change"

I worked at Texas Campaign for the Environment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TCE is an effective organization the works for real change on environmental issues. It's a great opportunity if you want get involved with environmental activism. The work is hard, but rewarding. There are opportunities for advancement and if you stick around they will invest in you by sending you to conferences and to crosstrain at other offices across the country. They will hire almost anyone, but you have to prove yourself if you want to stick around. This job helped me gain experience to do other work in the environmental nonprofit field.

Cons

This job takes a lot of effort and energy and there is a lot of pressure to perform. You need to meet fundraising standards and if you miss repeatedly you will be fired. And in order to succeed you really need to throw your whole self into the job. The fact that the work really is meaningful makes this easier, but it can be extremely draining. For most people this is not going to be a forever job. With that being said, I did enjoy my time there and am glad I did it. I came out of the job with a lot of useful skills that helped me in future jobs.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding when people are ready to leave and move onto another job. Quitting was very difficult because I felt like I was letting you down by leaving.

"I would not recommend"

I worked at Texas Campaign for the Environment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great for the most part. They definitely characterize the "Keep Austin Weird" Vibe.

Cons

They say they're nonpartisan, but in reality, they swing sooo far left that it is crazy.
    They advertise $10 an hour, but it is all sales. If you don't meet that quota a few nights in a row ($160, I think), you risk losing your job.
    There is very little concern for the actual employees.
    The final, and for me, the most disconcerting aspect of the job was the fact that you had to tell people who were donating money that something like %60+ went to "education, outreach, and activism." By that, they mean paying your salary.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to constituents and don't misrepresent what you're about. Maybe the turn over won't be so high.

"Best job ever!"

Former Employee - Community Organizer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Community Organizer in Houston, TX

Pros

Over the years that I was with TCE, I learned valuable leadership skills, got to travel a lot, and was rewarded for my work with good pay and benefits. Most importantly, I had a hand is making positive, progressive change for Texas (and for the world)!

Cons

Working hard for what you believe in is just that: hard work. This isn't really a 'con,' just a fact of life.

Advice to Management

Keep on!!