Texas Children's Hospital Reviews

Join the conversation on

Healthcare

30.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/medicine-2/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Texas Children's Hospital~14477
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Texas Children's Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

RN

May 10, 2022 - Registered Nurse in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Various RN opportunities to grow as a nurse

Cons

Schedule must be made over a month in advance

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Go in hungry for overtime and knowledge.

Apr 20, 2022 - Sleep Technician in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, solid leadership, focus on safety and education. Patient ratio 1:1. There are plenty of opportunities to get noticed in a positive way. Offers a broad knowledge base for pediatrics in sleep. If you like overtime and aren't skittish about remarkably sick children, or children with special needs, this is a great place. If you are meticulous about the cleanliness and quality of your studies, this is the place for you. Lots of extra shifts can be picked up.

Cons

This job is very hard. You are on camera all the time. You are graded on every single thing that happens before/ during/ after your study. The set-up can take upwards of 1.5 hours, requiring the entire seizure montage on every patient. The patients act like children who don't want to be there because they /are/ children who don't want to be there. All rules must be followed with no exceptions, no bending, no wavering to the will of a child or sympathetic parent. If something goes wrong, it is always your fault first and anything/ anyone else's issue later after further investigation. This is not the place for you if you do not work well with others. Do not plan on having another job outside of the hospital. If you are on call, you will work. Period. There are a ton of rules that must be followed and the rules can change from week to week, depending on the needs of the lab.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Retaliation and protection for management

May 17, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Caring for sick children. Making a difference for families during difficult times.

Cons

Management and leadership are toxic. If you report your leader to HR you are not protected from retaliation. HR is only there to protect management. When so many people complain on one manager and HR does nothing it speaks volumes. Every year the benefits got worse. More expensive and less coverage. Shameful. Also: The way we were treated during the early days of the pandemic and having our PTO and EIB taken from us and given a measly stipend which was announced all over the news, which no other hospital did was disappointing. Not only that, but the CEO’s $12,000,000 salary didn’t suffer at all.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 4.0

Good place to work

May 18, 2022 - Pharmacy Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

CEO cares and good culture

Cons

Low pay and no plans for changing that

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Do more with less

Apr 2, 2022 - Surgical Technologist in Conroe, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people/teams make this place what it is. I come to work each day for my team, who are like family.

Cons

I sacrifice myself for the team, not leadership. We keep getting busier and busier, but yet the pay is not commensurate to keep up. We cannot keep staff, and new hires get scared off by low pay, and lack of staffing. Leadership knows that we are the lowest paid employees of the biggest hospitals around the Houston area, but they do not care. They know that the other employees will stay as a apart of the team because we are good people, and do not want our coworkers to struggle. Meanwhile,while surgery is busting our tails early every morning, admin is busy getting breakfast, having a nice leisurely day. It is not right, nor fair. I have capped out my pay, I know that. I am only here because I am waiting until I find out what medical school I am going into. So in 4 months, I am going to start travelling.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0

New Grad Residency

May 8, 2022 - NICU New Graduate Nurse in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Thoroughly enjoy learning the material

Cons

Better parking for staff employees, healthier eating options in the cafeterias, and 12 hour work shifts are probably going to add to nursing burnout in the midst of the ongoing pandemic

7. 5.0

Great Company to work for

May 10, 2022 - Registered Nurse
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of Overtime available if you're wanting to work extra.

Cons

Parking away from the campus and taking a shuttle makes it more time consuming to get to work.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee

X

May 14, 2022 - Registered Nurse
    Business Outlook

Pros

A nice place to work

Cons

Not enough staff support on night shift

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Admin Assistants are NOT valued!

Apr 21, 2022 - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission. Working with people who TRULY care about the mission.

Cons

Bad leadership. Abusive, toxic behavior from some executives (Ex: MANY people under certain leaders quit but HR does nothing about it!). The CEO became “too woke.” It became too political. Administrative assistants (and other managers/staff members) got demoted (with a pay cut and lost their titles) while executives were promoted with substantial raises. The mandating of the COVID-vaccine AND boosters was a HUGE con for me. (This is why I resigned).

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Team

May 10, 2022 - Ultrasound Technologist in Katy, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment Great co-workers Caring administrators

Cons

working weekends and holidays for straight time

Viewing 1 - 10 of 775 Reviews

Texas Children's Hospital Reviews FAQs

Texas Children's Hospital has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 829 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at Texas Children's Hospital to a friend and 75% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Texas Children's Hospital employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Texas Children's Hospital. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

78% of Texas Children's Hospital employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Texas Children's Hospital 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Texas Children's Hospital to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, workplace, management.

Popular Careers with Texas Children's Hospital Job Seekers