Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Richard A. Hyde

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to feel a sense of accomplishment and low pay (in 18 reviews)

• After a reorganization, you never know what your new upper management is like (in 9 reviews)

1. "TCEQ Intern"

Pros

V. stable employment, coworkers very low key and supportive, excellent benefits.

Cons

lower salary compared to coroprate

2. "Soulless, terrible job"

Former Employee - Network Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Network Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gave me contract, some Project management, and grant experience. Has a decent gym. Very lenient with vacation time. You can easily work on personal things.

Cons

Monotonous work
    Stupid management who don’t care about morale.
    Terrible work ethic amongst employees.
    Super political.
    Crap pay.
    Mail room opens everything you receive.

Advice to Management

Take supervisor surveys seriously and don’t treat them like something you just check off the list.

3. "Great learning experience"

Current Employee - Environmental Investigator
    Current Employee - Environmental Investigator

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workload, great training opportunities, good benefits, good place to start a career

Cons

Pay is not great, can be very bureaucratic and clicky at times.

4. "Good Opportunities"

Current Employee - Electronics Technician
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician

Pros

Most positions have a career ladder and steps for improvement/promotions.
    Benefits are good.
    Lots of PTO

Cons

Pay not comparable to private sector jobs.
    Lots of bureaucrats.

Advice to Management

Do the job, dismiss office politics.

"Need to pay livable wages"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Treat you like family
    Lots of training opportunities
    Focus on healthy, happy employees

Cons

Pay raises are nearly impossible to obtain

Advice to Management

Please look at increasing the pay of your employees. When people at non-entry level positions qualify for low income programs, that's a problem. You have really good employees who are barely scraping by. Don't lose them because you won't give pay raises that at the very least match the cost of living increases.

6. "Inspector"

Former Employee - Environmental Investigator in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Environmental Investigator in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Job security. Health insurance. Leave time.

Cons

Pay. Morale. No overtime. Lack of training.

"Love the Environment? Yes? Well too bad!"

Current Employee - Environmental Investigator II
    Current Employee - Environmental Investigator II

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you end up in a crappy program, you have many opportunities to crosstrain in other sections, helping you move laterally in the agency. Even if you don't crosstrain, you have ample training oppurtunities for stuff like 40 Hour HAZWOPER, CPR, biennial section training, driver safety (for insurance discounts!), etc.

It's a good place to start out of college. You get a mentor and have several months/weeks to train and get up to speed on rules, investigations, what to look for, how to be a professional, etc. This mostly depends on your mentor but still, they don't throw you into the fires immediately.

The regulations you learn can be transferred to a private industry (read: higher paying) job depending on the section. Air and IHW? Yeah! OSSF and PST? Nah.

The people you work with - fellow employees, contractors you meet - are fantastic. I've made awesome friends being here that I don't think a constrained private job would have room for.

8 am to 5 pm with tons of holiday and overtime opportunities makes for a good work/life balance with very few exceptions.

Benefits are OK. You don't have to pay for your own health insurance premium but the health insurance is meh.

Cons

Low wages, with infrequent opportunities for a raise. Upper management is attempting to offer bonuses at certain points of your career, but talk of an actual pay raise discussions is all lipservice at this point.

The career ladder is very short. You're an IE2, IE3 after 2 years, then IE4 in 3 more years. That's it, unless an IE5 position is open.

Communication between upper management and the "boots on the ground" is a joke. We're overloaded with hurricane response, but without any warning we are told we are expected to finish our full year workload? Please, spare me.

Don't push back against cliquish management, even when they make stupid decisions (which is frequently). You'll get a passive aggressive, region-wide email dragging you through the mud.

Everyone hates you. Regulated Entities hate you for doing your job and cutting into their profits, Legislators hate you for being a "waste" of taxpayer dollars, the public hates you for not doing enough for them, Environmental groups hate you for having no teeth. TCEQ has such a trash reputation in Texas.

Advice to Management

Micromanaging is not helpful to anybody, I know people in my regional office that have been driven out of the agency because of it.

Convince the Texas Legislature that we deserve some financial support. The TCEQ does a lot of good for the state, but geez, throw us a bone here.

Oh, do some public outreach. The public would support the TCEQ if we had a better reputation.

"Honest Review"

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time

Pros

Assuming you have bosses that support time off, the time off is great as well as the flexibility. But I have observed many bosses that give employees a hard time about taking time off even when their work is under control. I have not had this problem but it is a big problem.

You may have the oppurtunity to network with your colleagues and private sector.

All jobs have a learning curve in the beginning. But some positions get stale rather quickly.

Its quiet for the most part.

No weekend work!

Cons

The number one con is the executive director has repeatedly told several region folks in mtgs that that his door is always open. But whats disturbing is when faced with presented ongoing issues he responds with if you dont like it leave you will save the agency money. Now that may be true but by him saying that his attitude trickled down to middle mng in which they tell their subordinates the same thing and are very cocky might i add. The ED has said this in many meetings. Instead of fixing issues that are felt by so many ppl he says leave and he puts it on the ppl as if they are debbie downers. But truthfully those folks that speak up are being honest and have more courage than folks like myself.

Pay ofcourse. Thats not a surprise. We all know lower gov equal low pay but we are the state right under the feds not the county or city. Further more folks coming in with little or no experience in the job start off at my salary or salary that exceeds my salary. salaries are public info. Its depressing to see so many inexperience folks come in do what i do no experience and dont have to start at low pay like i did. They have experience bc they are older but not at all in the work do. I am literally living pay check to pay check. The ED says hes trying to get us higher pay while he gets a 25 percent raise from the governor last year bc hes under paid at 200000? Really. The problem with tceq is that its top heavy. Search our salaries. All of us lower pay ppl hardly see raises.

Having insurance is great. But our copays deductables have increased over the years. We barely just got a real vision plan. Dont come here for the insurance its basic at best but nice to have.

No more being vested with health insurance. Do not come here for the retirement all of that changed a few years ago. Meaning you can no longer retire early like at 50. Retirement is no longer an incentive. Research ers prior to working here if thats your reason.

In regards to which region to work for...well read reviews and go talk to the ppl that work there. Tceq experience is heavily dependent upon which office you work for. They are all different. One thing for sure stay away from the Houston office unless you just need a job. Most supervisors there promoted with hardly any experience and have poor managerial skills.

Basically there are no incentives for working here. Other than if you just need a job and use it as a stepping stone and leave like the ED said.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. If an overwelmingly amount of folks have a concern, give a lending ear and put a solution into action. Happy employees always increase productivity and the quality of work. Science doesnt need to prove that.

"Natural Resources Specialist II"

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, friendly people, stability

Cons

Unmotivated co-workers, favoritism, low salary

Advice to Management

Recognize those that are going above and beyond, and instead of just assigning them additional work to pick up the slack of their co-workers, provide wage based incentives. I realize this is State Government work, but there has to be something done to keep hard workers motivated and inclined to stay.

10. "NRS III"

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time

Pros

Retirement plan and benefits are pros.

Cons

Low wages that are unlikely to increase anytime soon.