Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services Reviews

Updated January 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services Executive Commissioner Charles Smith
Charles Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You need to use your own vehicle to make home visits (in 3 reviews)

• Gossiping Employees, employees don't show up for work, low pay (in 3 reviews)

1. "Systems Support Specialist II"

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time

Pros

Getting to work in a team environment that focuses on combined problem solving for efficiency.

Cons

Can be somewhat hazardous if working at an SSLC but I dont really have any noteworthy cons. I loved this company.

Advice to Management

Focus on career development with current employees and offer more merit raises and certifications.

2. "Protective Services Intake Specialist"

Former Employee - Protective Services Intake Specialist V in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Protective Services Intake Specialist V in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The manager for the intake line is exceptional. She is very helpful, attentive, and provides positive constructive feedback to help employees grow and feel more comfortable in their role. The department staff are very friendly creating a positive working environment.

Cons

The job itself could be emotionally draining, but staff are given mental health days, PTO, vacation, and holidays off to aid with the stress.

Advice to Management

The manager for the intake line is Amazing as well as the other managers. Managers keep up the good work!

3. "Social Worker"

Former Employee - Social Worker
    Former Employee - Social Worker

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I inspected nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and adult day care centers. I think advantages to this position were the contact with the residents in the facilities. Our purpose was to make sure facilities met minimal regulations to ensure residents had good quality of life.
    Advantages were retirement, health insurance, and vacation leave. The ability to work from home is a privilege which is not available to everyone.

Cons

Cons were the travel. The region covered nineteen counties. Overnight travel was necessary.
    Paperwork was required to complete investigation reports and write deficiencies. Excellent writing skills were required. With the sheer volume of complaints and facilities surveyors could easily get behind on reports.
    I know most people did not know all of our benefits (retirement, insurance) were dependent on the state legislature. We have a blank slate every two years. Texas Public Employees Association and Texas State Employees Union advocate for our benefits with the state legislature. We
    can also advocate for ourselves by writing or calling the offices of our state legislators and senators.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to value those employees who have experience. In my opinion, The culture valued new employees.

I believe the cost is too great to train new employees. The turnover rate was high. I saw very
    few people with five years experience in the department.

4. "LVN"

Former Employee - LVN II in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - LVN II in Abilene, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The residents are amazing. Set rotating schedule allowing for future plans to be easily made.

Cons

Pay raises are based on state budget and are rare.

5. "Guardianship Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

When called to help out most of your coworkers will help out. The clients, it feels good to advocate for them.

Cons

The shear amount of duplicated paperwork is ridiculous. Think A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. DADS is about 20 years behind the rest of HHSC in technology and procedures. You have to use your own cell phone so if and when you leave you will continue to receive calls at all hours because this is a 24/7 job. Legal is a joke. There is no opportunity for growth in this position.

Advice to Management

Pay your people a decent wage and stop adding a new form to fill out every time someone sneezes.

6. "Denton State Supportive Living Center"

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time

Pros

Great insurance and benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Individuals without proper training, education, or experience placed in positions that are not ment for them. The agency was sueccessfully sued by the Department of Justice and there was too many issues at the Denton State Supportive Living Center for me to stay. Upon leaving, I made an EEOC complaint due to discrimination.

Advice to Management

Have training on EEOC policies, revamp your training program, and hire individuals that meet requirements by law instead of hiring based off of filling a need or off of a referral by a friend.

7. "Great job"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, keeps me busy, amazing work being done

Cons

Holdovers suck (when someone on the next shift doesnt show or calls in you may have to stay for that shift too. , very tiring,

8. "Great benefits"

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time

Pros

Great benefits and pay is decent

Cons

Mandatory hold overs and clients have no accountability for their actions even tho some know very well what they are doing

9. "Program Specialist I"

Former Employee - Program Specialist II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Program Specialist II in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits matching retirement 401k 457 paid sick leave, holiday

Cons

Gossiping Employees, employees don't show up for work, low pay

Advice to Management

Raise pay get better employees

10. "Learning opprotunity"

I have been working at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So many opportunities learn, a different culture of services

Cons

Politics. Documentation is crucial. So many meetings

Advice to Management

Don't forget that your employees have families and would love to have work life balance.

Many employees that work here love their clients and want them to succeed.