Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services Reviews

Updated August 30, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services Executive Commissioner Charles Smith
Charles Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "I was verbally abused by a younger girl they put in charge and was told by upper management that "that's just how some people talk"" (in 4 reviews)

• "You need to use your own vehicle to make home visits" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Clerk II"

Pros

Benefits, paid days off and Holidays

Cons

No raises, low compensation. Skeleton crew

2. "State Government Jobs can be just like any other job unfortunately"

Pros

Payed Holidays
    Vacation and Sick Leave
    Benefits are there but are pretty average compared to large companies that pay you more

Cons

Salary and ability to advance
    Maybe in large city's it maybe better but in a city of just over 900,000 it still doesn't compete with the local market and especially the oil fields.

Advice to Management

Remember that all 500+ employees in all levels of seniority are people too

3. "AbSSLC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great staff and individuals living here

Cons

Pay based on experience isn’t there

Advice to Management

Treat professional staff like professionals in their field.

4. "Difficult Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clients become your family. Gives you a purpose to make lives better

Cons

Will work us staff over 16 hours a day. Clients hurt staff. Pay is too low for the work we staff do. Not enough staff to do work. Racism is bad

Advice to Management

Get out of your office and help staff. Pay better, to much favoritism. directors and bosses out of touch

5. "Eligibility Worker III"

Former Employee - Secreterial, Patient Care, Valet Parking in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Secreterial, Patient Care, Valet Parking in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A continuous job serving the people who are less fortunate to be able to eat,have a income, an supply medical needs.Im greatful I could have help

Cons

Lots of paper work meeting timely dead lines to continue to work there.

Advice to Management

Thanks to computers it has cut down process .

6. "RN Case Manager"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

8-5 work schedule, good benefits and holidays.

Cons

Amount and quality of work being requested for completion by upper management is unfeasible. Lack of effective training for incoming nursing employees.

Advice to Management

Improve quality of orientation and mentoring to new employees in health services from a competent trainer. Implement new processes to assist in work quality and production without increasing the amount of hours needed for completion.

7. "Protective Services Intake Specialist"

Former Employee - Protective Services Intake Specialist V in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Protective Services Intake Specialist V in Austin, TX

Pros

The manager for the intake line is exceptional. She is very helpful, attentive, and provides positive constructive feedback to help employees grow and feel more comfortable in their role. The department staff are very friendly creating a positive working environment.

Cons

The job itself could be emotionally draining, but staff are given mental health days, PTO, vacation, and holidays off to aid with the stress.

Advice to Management

The manager for the intake line is Amazing as well as the other managers. Managers keep up the good work!

8. "Social Worker"

Former Employee - Social Worker
    Former Employee - Social Worker

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I inspected nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and adult day care centers. I think advantages to this position were the contact with the residents in the facilities. Our purpose was to make sure facilities met minimal regulations to ensure residents had good quality of life.
    Advantages were retirement, health insurance, and vacation leave. The ability to work from home is a privilege which is not available to everyone.

Cons

Cons were the travel. The region covered nineteen counties. Overnight travel was necessary.
    Paperwork was required to complete investigation reports and write deficiencies. Excellent writing skills were required. With the sheer volume of complaints and facilities surveyors could easily get behind on reports.
    I know most people did not know all of our benefits (retirement, insurance) were dependent on the state legislature. We have a blank slate every two years. Texas Public Employees Association and Texas State Employees Union advocate for our benefits with the state legislature. We
    can also advocate for ourselves by writing or calling the offices of our state legislators and senators.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to value those employees who have experience. In my opinion, The culture valued new employees.

I believe the cost is too great to train new employees. The turnover rate was high. I saw very
    few people with five years experience in the department.

9. "Systems Support Specialist II"

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time

Pros

Getting to work in a team environment that focuses on combined problem solving for efficiency.

Cons

Can be somewhat hazardous if working at an SSLC but I dont really have any noteworthy cons. I loved this company.

Advice to Management

Focus on career development with current employees and offer more merit raises and certifications.

10. "LVN"

Former Employee - LVN II in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - LVN II in Abilene, TX

Pros

The residents are amazing. Set rotating schedule allowing for future plans to be easily made.

Cons

Pay raises are based on state budget and are rare.