Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
Cons
  • You need to use your own vehicle to make home visits (in 3 reviews)

• Difficult to move up in managerial career (in 2 reviews)

1. "Policy Specialist"

Current Employee - Policy Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Policy Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They provide a flexible schedule

Cons

There is no training provided by the company

2. "Community Care Worker I"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* I really enjoyed worked with the elderly and disabled populations by helping them get access to the resources needed to stay in their homes.

* I liked the fact that you can pretty much run your caseload without any micro-managing (although I've heard horror stories from other offices about management).

Cons

* You're expected to use your personal vehicle for home visits, which is not a problem, but they are ridiculously slow in processing your mileage reimbursements. It can take up to 90 days before you see your reimbursement check yet you are expected to still do home visits in the interim. Considering the pay is sub par and you get paid once a month, it's really hard especially if you have to travel quite a distance to meet your consumers.

* They don't assign cell phones or laptops. They expect you to use your personal cell phone while you're in the field and they don't offer any type of compensation for it. There's also no laptop so there's a lot of wasted time that could be used wisely if we had access to laptops while in the field.

* There's a lot of turnover and you then are held accountable for cases that are behind regardless if it was your fault or not.

Advice to Management

Assign cell phones. Process travel more quickly.

3. "Excellent facility for Residential Care of Adults with Intellectual and Physical Disabilities"

Former Employee - Infection Control RN Nurse IV in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Infection Control RN Nurse IV in El Paso, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the most dedicated staff members I've ever worked with
    Due to regular Department of Justice monitoring, quality of care in insured

Cons

My particular position as Infection Control nurse could be very stressful at times

5. "It's a state job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

There are great benefits if it's just you, and you're vested if you stay for at least 10 years. At my current job, I get one work-from-home day, and I got to choose my hours, within reason.

Cons

My current job can be boring, but I like the people I work with.

I previously worked at the Austin State Supported Living Center(AuSSLC), which is also under the Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS), and this is a terrible place to work. The amount of stress that I experienced from this place was unbelievable. Don't work there. It's not worth it.

Advice to Management

At my current job, I wish there were more options to work-from-home. We're not going to be getting raises for the unseeable future, so you need to be able to offer some compensation.

6. "STATE SCHOOL"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Abilene, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours and the individuals are amazing

Cons

Holdovers, want you to report abuse but because a Supervisor has been there over 20 years they overlook it and retailiate

Advice to Management

Listen to staff

7. "LVN"

Former Employee - LVN in Richmond, TX
    Former Employee - LVN in Richmond, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time

Pros

Great benefits working for the state. Love my patients. Flexibility and caring coworkers. Free insurance is really great!

Cons

Understaffed. Almost impossible to relieve pay increase. I was not rewarded for hard work. No recognition for good deeds but quick to discipline even for small infraction.

Advice to Management

Give reward to hard working employees. Imagine yourself in what employee must perform in allotted time and amount of work to perform.

"Social Worker Iii"

Former Employee - Social Worker in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Abilene, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time

Pros

The families and guardians show their appreciation for their loved one receives on a daily basis.

Cons

It is difficult to move within the organization. The Director has a LBSW and supervises staff with a LMSW. Supervision is inconsistent. Employees are not accepted for who they are as an individual.

Advice to Management

Need to respect each employees contribution and accept each employee for who you are as a person and employee. Limited growth opportunities. Employees with long term experience in the social service field do not receive additional pay. The LMSW and LBSW employees receive the same amount of pay despite having additional education and experience. Need to fit in with other employees and the vision the Director has. Young employees who are young and minimal experience are a better for for the position.

"Behavioral Health Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was great bonding and caring for the individuals who resided at the center.
    Awesome coworkers who truly cared about the people they served.

Cons

Awful management.
    Expect to work overtime and bring work home.
    Management will throw you under the bus.
    Incredibly stressful, it's not uncommon to see coworkers locking themselves in their office/car crying.

10. "Elderly Assistant"

Former Employee - Elderly Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Elderly Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (More than a year)

Pros

Good job working as an assistant with the elderly. Flexible hours, some overnight hours. Were willing to work around my school schedule.

Cons

There are no cons to this position.

11. "Administrative Assistant II"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Newburgh, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Newburgh, NY

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and holidays off.

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement.