KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Texas Department of Family and Protective Services

Is this your company?

Texas Department of Family and Protective Services

Add a Review

Texas Department of Family and Protective Services Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Oct 22, 2021

Found 101 of over 858 reviews

2.8
Texas Department of Family and Protective Services Commissioner Howard Baldwin (no image)
Howard Baldwin

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Job has good benefits and very lenient on time off.(in 105 reviews)
  • "The job is very flexible as we are able to work from home or remote locations.(in 28 reviews)
  • "Good coworkers and as of right now that’s about it(in 26 reviews)
  • "The people are amazing and the job is rewarding(in 17 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and holiday time off(in 12 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Texas Department of Family and Protective Services and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee

investigator

Dec 21, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay benefits work schedule on boss

Cons

Long hours no wbalance life hhj jj

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Entry Level and get advancement for the first 2 years, but then it's stand still

Jan 11, 2019 - Intake Specialist II in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love the fact I get to help children and elderly disabled adults. Job has good benefits and very lenient on time off. Getting PTO is like getting candy at Statewide Intake.

Cons

When you need assistance with what to do with a report, 5 different supervisors can tell you different. Place is very inconsistent when it comes to policy. You are basically anchored to your desk because you have to punch in every time you do something different such as take a call, go to the bathroom, go to lunch, go to a meeting, etc.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great job for brand new graduates entering the workforce.

Aug 8, 2019 - Investigative Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Job can be flexible at times and good medical benefits.

Cons

Upper management is not supportive and the culture in general is very punitive.

4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Decent Job, but many changes in procedures and lots of redundancy

Mar 9, 2021 - Child Care Investigator in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Don't have to report to an office everyday Helping keep children safe and protected State pension and some can retire with rule of 80 Good health benefits

Cons

No real ability to plan your day due to the nature of the job There is a cap on how far you can go and the money you can make without changing positions Bureaucracy = lots of things that have to be done that seem pointless and/or redundant

5. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Over worked and under paid

May 23, 2022 - Investigator
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are good with them

Cons

Over worked and under paid. Working here was the biggest mistake I ever made in my life. Besides that actual job getting paid once a month is horrible. There is no real work life balance. It's just case after case after case...

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good people, rough work

Aug 2, 2016 - Intake Specialist in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great community of people. Lots of support. Good benefits and time off.

Cons

Rough material. Pay seems low for how much work you do.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

you don't know until you try

Jul 7, 2021 - CPS Investigator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits • Objectively decent pay (overtime available, travel reimbursement) • Great coworkers and I, fortunately, had wonderful supervisors and program director • Awesome learning opportunity to familiarize oneself with community resources and parts of the legal system • Occasionally, you will make a difference. I'm a people-person and I loved getting to know my families.

Cons

• Low pay for what you actually do • NOT a 9-5. You MUST set your boundaries but you WILL work odd hours/nights/weekends. I know people who were in the hospital on an IV drip and they were still working. Everyone takes days off to catch up. There were some mandatory Saturdays to catch up. It sucks. You can't plan too far ahead. You are encouraged to take time off (nice!) but you can't turn your brain off when you do. • High caseload...toward the end, all of my cases coming in were time bombs so it was stressful and more work than I could feasibly do. • Loads of documentation in an inefficient computer program. • Constant policy changes. • Very little training for the legal side of things which is scary because these are children's lives at stake. • Fake until you make it/fail forward attitude which I think needs an overhaul. • You are alone out in the field. Call the cops if you need backup. Call your sup. Call a coworker. You can get into some dicey situations. • Constant turnover at all levels but it's a wave. • ***Secondhand Trauma*** I quit because I couldn't sleep and I was starting to get panic attacks. I started therapy on the advice of management (there are resources available for workers...use them!) but I'd burned out. Didn't realize how emotionally and physically I pushed myself and all the trauma I absorbed until I was done.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Current Employee

Good

Oct 20, 2020 - Cvs Specialist IV in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are good for the work

Cons

Low pay for amount of work

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

CPS training

Jun 16, 2021 - CPS Investigator I in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is rewarding and good benefits.

Cons

The long hours and management.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Some good, Some bad

Oct 4, 2019 - Conservator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and PTO.

Cons

Highly dependent on supervisor and program director what your work life will be like

Viewing 1 - 10 of 101 Reviews