Texas Department of Public Safety Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 140 reviews

Texas Department of Public Safety CEO Steve McCraw
Steve McCraw
Pros
Cons
  • "Lack of diversity in upper management and lack of upward mobility(in 10 reviews)

• "Extremely low pay for what one had to handle, benefits were decent overall just wish the pay had been more(in 9 reviews)

1. DPS Great Place

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative IV in Waco, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

benefits, schedule, local, coworkers, holidays and great customers

Cons

pay monthly, pay not the greatest(benefits however make it good), misperception of customers and Slow advancement.

2. Project Manager

I worked at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time

Pros

The people were very friendly and helpful. Everyone I worked with was focused on the work of the Department.

Cons

Some management were self serving, but none from my division.

Access and Dissemination Bureau

Former Employee - Criminal History Technician - Customer Service in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

- Plenty of great learning opportunties for non commissioned (regular employees). - John Maxwell leadership training freely provided along with many other subjects. - Job is pretty simple.

Cons

- The job is easy, however, too much emphasis is often placed on the smaller things which often obscures the big picture. - Also, some of management is young with very little supervisory experience. - Agency lacks mentorship training for those with ambition to do greater.

Advice to Management

- Personally recognize employees that are performing above and beyond the status quo. - Mentor employees, especially those which exhibit the propensity to become future leaders within the agency.

4. Cyber security analyst

I worked at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

They won't fire you. Even if you're a racist, misogynist, insubordinate, or even just mean. There are also so many things wrong that you will have an infinite choice for things to work on.

Cons

They won't fire you. Even if you're a racist, misogynist, insubordinate, or even just mean. There are so many things wrong, because executive leadership does not give a damn unless your funding bullets or beans. All other concerns or dangers be damned.

Advice to Management

Listen to your leaders, not your managers. Help remove the hurdles they have tried numerous times to present to you. Do your job and lead from the front.

5. Customer Service Rep

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

I would say the Benefits are really good. Great retirement plan if you plan on sticking for the long haul.

Cons

It's all about who you know working for DPS. Looking to move up? You can forget it if you aren't in the "crew".

Advice to Management

Just because someone is in a leadership role, doesn't mean you need to be in that role.

6. Csr

• Overall

Pros

The weekends and holidays off.

Cons

Pay, management, structure, lazy coworkers, short staffed, no room to advance

Good people, management, not so much

I worked at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Great benefits and good co-workers

Cons

Management is poor, no recognition, no support

Advice to Management

Stop trying to make up for past decades of relaxed attitude by becoming inflexible and unwilling to acknowledge employee performance

8. Forensic Scientist III

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Good leave policy and insurance coverage

Cons

No paid maternity leave offered

Advice to Management

Offer at least a few weeks of paid parental leave to keep up with the competitive market

9. Not A Good Experience

I worked at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of days off for state holidays.

Cons

I did not have a good experience working for DPS. In fact, it was one of the worst of my life. I was told by my supervisor to change my personality to fit in with them and made fun of for being anti-social. My supervisor lied about things that happened, I was belittled, and when the supervisor was asked for help she couldn’t be bothered to answer the question instead I was told to go ask other people. Instead of telling...

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees, get better management in place, and take better care of your employees.

10. It has been a learning experience for DWI Law.

Current Employee - Staff Attorney in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than a year

Pros

You gain lots of trial experience.

Cons

Repetitive and doesn’t pay well for the amount of work.

Advice to Management

Increase pay and provide more administrative support services.

Found 140 reviews