Texas Department of State Health Services Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2020

3.2
Texas Department of State Health Services Commissioner John William Hellerstedt
John William Hellerstedt
Pros
  • "Good benefits package, paid time off, great people in my particular agency(in 15 reviews)

• "Stable job with great benefits and overall good environment(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay and a lot of traveling is involved(in 13 reviews)

• "The work environment is not good enough(in 9 reviews)

1. "Accountant III"

5.0
    Former Employee - Accountant III in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of State Health Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It was a very simple job. It was easy to learn and keep up with any changes.

Cons

It was monotonousTedious and Continuous. I would like more of a challenge.

Continue reading
  2. "Stable, Great benefits, Smart team members, Slow pace"

Current Employee - Program Specialist III in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of State Health Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable job with great benefits and overall good environment. Hard working individuals that are very smart and passionate. Excellent work-life balance with low stress but meaningful work. Help make a difference in the lives of Texans.

Cons

Low pay with no annual bonus. Have to re-apply to higher positions to be "promoted" or increase pay. Patience is key as things move slow in government work.

3. "Decent to Good"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

Good benefits - Pension plan that vests after 10 years, some random holidays that most people in the private sector don't get, annual leave that accrues continues to grow the longer you stay. Some Training Opportunities for Technical Workers - Opportunities to take some in-person and online courses and go to some conferences if they are local. Basically a 40 hour a week job for non-management - The OT approval process is sort of bureaucratic and requires multiple levels of approval so it tends not to happen. When it does happen you get time and a half comp time. Most of the tasks given and expected are fairly reasonable. Generally there is enough spare time to try to experiment and propose new ideas as you come up with them as long as you can figure it out and implement it yourself

Cons

Merit raises are rare, you have to continue to climb the ladder or you will stall out in pay. Management tends to not provide a ton of guidance and can be out of their element when advising and implementing projects with technical staff. A general feeling that fires are always needing to be put out in the section you happen to be in. This might not be related to your job but it tends to consume all managers in your section.

Continue reading
  4. "Great work environment but underpaid"

Current Employee - Environmental Protection Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of State Health Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

The environment is very positive to work in. My manager and most of my team are all great to work with and are knowledgable and helpful people.

Cons

It seems that our department is unpaid for the importance of our work.

5. "It's a joke"

2.0
    Former Employee - Assistant Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of State Health Services full-time

Pros

Very easy work to do

Cons

Nobody was serious about their job

6. "El Paso Psych Center"

Former Employee - Psychiatric Nursing Assistant

I worked at Texas Department of State Health Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great learning experience and safe place to work

Cons

Management is very unorganized and forgetful

7. "Okay if you wanna retire soon"

Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist in Harlingen, TX

I worked at Texas Department of State Health Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Time off, vacations, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Too lax, stressful, not organized, poor structure

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

Friendly staff, work-life balance, decent office

Cons

Lower pay scales as compared to other agencies

9. "How it is to work at Rio Grande State Center"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Harlingen, TX

I worked at Texas Department of State Health Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Being able to be there for the developmentally disabled clients. Alot of them don't have family that visit them and they think your their family. It's so rewarding to have a client that is totally dependent and you work with them everyday such as brushing their teeth, daily hygiene, feeding themselves and when your consistent with them they become more and more dependent and you see the difference you are in their lives and sometimes are dependent enough to go to a group home. Pay is good and benefits are great

Cons

If you cannot do or do not like overtime, this is not the job for you. Some months you make 60-100 hours just in overtime, the money is nice, but u don't get much of a family or social life. They were hiring more when I resigned so it might be better now

Continue reading
  10. "Decent State Agenda"

Current Employee - Public Information Lead

Pros

My particular Unit has amazing leadership and support. The benefits are good and once you hit your 6th-month mark, the holiday and vacation time is pretty on par with many private companies. Each group of people is different, my Unit happens to be filled with good, hardworking innovative people.

Cons

In order to really get a raise, you have to be ambitious and jump from job to job. Eash Section of the agency is different, while one group can be wonderful the next awful. Certain departments are always in flux with no management and support. Also, it's a state agency, everything moves slow to get approved.

Found 184 reviews