Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Reviews | Glassdoor

Raymund A. Paredes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most professional staff have a great experience. Also, a good place to work until you retire since some people have been there for more than 10 years. Senior staff gets to consult management on a regular basis. There is a great atmosphere. Employees who get caught cheating the system seem to get fired very quickly.

Cons

I haven't heard anything negative except frustration within the IT group. The quality of the tech group seems to range from fantastic to awful.

Advice to Management

Screen new and existing IT persons.

2. "Great Work/Life Balance and Purpose"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The THECB provides a great work/life balance and a purpose that is worthy of getting behind.

Cons

As the Legislative sessions change priority, initiatives that were instituted as soon as 2 years early can be dropped, causing a lot of wasted work effort and ramp up cost.

3. "CSR I"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board full-time

Pros

Company is not all work work work. Several agency events and lovely people.

Cons

Absolutely behind in our systems/ technology for work! It's frustrating for workers and customers. It's known all around and just not up to par for 2015. I-35 traffic also, just the cost of Austin living.

Advice to Management

More connectivity with upper levels is always a plus. Definitely not a deal breaker here though.

4. "Happy I made the move to transfer to this agency!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

There are many opportunities for growth and the salary is competitive with other state agencies as well as private sector jobs. There are several events that involve everyone and keeps things fresh and fun. It's not always work! work! work! In addition, we don't work downtown with all of the chaos and congestion so that is a definite plus!

Cons

Our agency is in Austin, and anyone who lives/works here knows that traffic can make or break your day. Also, we seem to be a tad behind on the technology side, however we are getting up there.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the higher ups would get away from their busy schedules and peek in here and there to visit the rest of the staff. It would truly make a difference.

5. "Poor Leadership! Low morale! Micromanaged!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Health insurance is paid if you're single. Paid vacation, holidays and sick. Off on all State holidays.

Cons

Pay increases seem none existent. Management has NO training on how to lead a team. Crazy micromanagement!

Advice to Management

Get training on how to lead a team. Most management has been promoted in house and have no real management experience. Your opinions shouldn't be all that matters. Listen and believe in your employees. Recognize a job well done.

6. "Financial Analyst"

I have been working at Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board full-time

Pros

State of Texas holidays and additional time the executive give are a great benefit.

Cons

Salary is less than most private industry financial analyst position.

7. "Watch your back."

Pros

Advancement is possible, and encouraged, for some employees.
    Working remotely part time is allowed for some employees.

Cons

Highly politicized environment; must be alert and aware of alliances and personalities.

Advice to Management

Investigate the possibility of more progressive HR policies.

8. "Good learning experience!"

Pros

They gave real work and it was a great hands on learning experience. They really show you what kinds of things you can expect to be working on as a full time employee

Cons

Traffic is pretty bad in Austin and housing can be expensive if you try to live near by.

9. "Good Agency"

I worked at Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at THECB, and found it to be a nice place to work. The people in my department were amazing - always helpful, trying to move forward, supportive, no complaints whatsoever.

Cons

While the department I worked in was fantastic, there are some others that I cannot say the same for. One in particular, they were great people, but seemed like they had no idea what they were doing. Another department was just awful to deal with.

Advice to Management

Work on building relationships between departments.

10. "FTE"

I worked at Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State Benefits. Paid vacation, holidays and sick time. Health insurance is paid at 100% for employees and 50% for dependents. Great job IF you want to retire from the state. Some flexible hours IF you are in the right division. A state agency that is not located downtown.

Cons

Pay increases for a job well done - forget about it! Actually, it depends on which division you work for. Management are BOSSES and not LEADERS! The micromanaging in this agency is pretty bad. Too much is swept under the rug in the name of "don't make us look bad"!

Advice to Management

Advice to XO's: get out of your offices when you are actually in there and find out what the rest of the agency is doing! Those "little guys" at the bottom that are keeping the wheels turning, are doing so much for this agency that you have NO idea they are doing! Acknowledge them too, not just those that have a DR in front of their names.