Texas Instruments Product Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Texas Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO Rich Templeton
Rich Templeton
  1. "Great company"

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment and city

Cons

small salary increases and long promotions

Texas Instruments2019-11-09

"TI not the greatest"

Former Intern - Product Marketing Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Texas Instruments for less than a year

Pros

Onboarding is well established Good locations

Cons

Because it is such a large company there are little opportunities to take responsibilities outside of your assigned role. As an intern, very little room to grow. They allow you to come back (if you are asked to) but only to the same position. You get put in a rotation program where you won't get to decide where your end location is. The pay offered is sub par for the industry, yet they expect you to put in extra hours with no additional benefits. Managers don't care about their engineers and providing opportunities for them.

Texas Instruments2020-02-17

"Only intern here. Gaslighting, breadcrumb culture."

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will have a great experience as an intern and rotator and possibly for the first year or so after your deploy to your full-time role. When I started, we had a 2-week orientation and really got to bond with both PME and Sales rotators. That bond is something that made TI feel like a family to me and not just a place to work. (They've since gotten rid of that culture) My peers were and still are some of my best friends. There's lots of growth in corporate behavior, work ethic, communication skills, and presentation skills that can transfer well to other companies. The PME role allows for domestic and international travel (unless they cut that out too now), which is fun but a lot of work. They have a lot of training opportunities that are of no cost to the employee that many employees do not take advantage of. I highly recommend taking these courses, even if that means taking a day from work to do so. The only jobs I recommend at TI are HR and Digital Marketing.

Cons

PAY / PROMOTIONS / WORK-LIFE BALANCE Starting pay is great but over the years, the raises are not competitive. They pay you less and work you more than other companies. I have not heard of a single person unhappy with their decision to leave TI. The culture of the managers is to make you feel like you should be GRATEFUL for the breadcrumb raises and to not even ask for more. They make you believe that the typical annual inflation raise (that every other company offers) is a merit-based raise. It's actually very, very difficult to get a true raise, bonus, or RSU. They don't openly talk about the fact that there even is such a thing as a mid-year raise to be considered for. Other companies give you shares when you start, an annual inflation raise, AND a true merit-based raise. And other companies have a better work-life balance. TI will say they do, but when you start working 10-14 hour days, you'll understand it's just words. This gaslighting behavior is one of the biggest reasons I left and never want to go back. It's a toxic culture. Managers across the board have fallen short on promises made to employees whether they're raises, bonuses, RSUs, or promotions. Promotion methods are very unclear. While there are some great managers, there are a good number of bad managers that seem to be in that position because they're pals with upper management. Even when many, many people leave TI or leave the group to escape that manager, that doesn't register with HR or they don't care. This is not a good place for upward mobility. TECHNOLOGY TI is not longer an innovative company. They're never going to be at the forefront of technology. They're followers and it's not that exciting. ROTATION PROGRAMS The rotation programs were one of the biggest reasons I recommended joining TI but now they've cut so much from the programs that you don't get the benefits from them. They seem to play the role of temps during their rotation: cheap labor to do menial tasks that product lines don't have the time to do. If you get a good manager, you'll learn and grow a lot. But most of the time, rotators are treated this way. Also they got rid of the pay bump you get when you deploy to your full-time role. SALES / FIELD ROLES They're turning the TSR role more into a data-entry role and the FAE is taking on both responsibilities. I do not recommend joining TI if you want to go into a TSR or FAE role. PRODUCT MARKETING ENGINEER This is a made-up role by TI (or maybe ADI, who pays more) that combines the responsibilities of a Business Development Manager and a Product Marketing Manager while paying you one salary for 2 roles. It's also difficult to translate this role to other companies. Most other companies have never heard of a "Product Marketing Engineer". While this role is fun with strategy and all the travel, it doesn't help a lot with becoming an expect as a BDM or as a PMM. It may not be a great move for your career unless you want to stay with TI. TI knows they're the main company to be at in Dallas as a EE and they treat their employees accordingly.

Texas Instruments2019-09-04
  4. "Meaningful work"

Former Intern - Product Marketing Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments for less than a year

Pros

Work on lots of projects that actually matter to company outlook. Everybody is very friendly and helpful. Lots of autonomy. Pay is ok. Get pretty good PTO for an internship.

Cons

Late night virtual meetings. It's not bad as an intern but full timers in this position seem to be heavy on the work in work-life balance. The internship program did a poor job of scheduling events when people could actually go and they only allow you to apply for one full time rotation so choose wisely.

Texas Instruments2019-08-29
  5. "Great benefits + good work life balance"

Former Intern - Product Engineer

I worked at Texas Instruments

Pros

Great benefits, profit sharing is a plus

Cons

Mostly located down south. They don't have many offices up north

Texas Instruments2019-08-01

"Work-life balance completely disregarded, poor diversity in some divisions"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, profit sharing, interesting work, remote work occasionally allowed, good health plans

Cons

Poor work-life balance, all employees expected to work overtime with no compensation, remote work policy is unclear, management is not diverse (mostly older white men)

Texas Instruments2019-06-25

"Good place to start your career"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Industry leader, well-defined roles and expectations, lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

Innovation and creativity are stifled because of corporate bloat

Texas Instruments2019-03-01

"Good company but to get ahead you need good connections and be in a good group"

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is well structured and constantly developing new tools to aid marketing. Good experienced individuals all around and always willing to help. You get to travel all over the world and learn from customers. Excellent benefits. Many roles at TI to get experience on doing many things (applications, systems, marketing, digital marketing, etc.). Overall TI is a very good company to get your career up and running as it teaches you a lot on how a good company can run. However, look at my cons.

Cons

Each group (business unit) is like a small company and if you are not in a good group then it will be very tough to get ahead. My experience has not proven to help me develop and get into management. If you want to move around be weary that each group is very territorial so it is best that you think about moving on your own and seek mentors as groups are not embracing of you moving across groups (business units). Compensation is usually based on the market and if your manager can really make it or break it for you. I have personally only ever had a good manager once and i have had about 6 or more managers at TI. TI reorgs A LOT to the point that it doesn't make sense. I understand the power of reorganization but when you reorg too much it makes the team feel very depressed and unwilling to perform well. The story seems to repeat themselves a lot. I feel that TI spends too much time focusing on reporting up to senior management where you are not moving or doing much progress. Also too much reporting makes it so that you are only focused on the numbers and not innovating. Overall a good company to get your career started, but you need to change some key things to make this place a much better place to work. I think many folks tend to feel stuck and as if they can't move around much. Maybe try to copy more on how F&O encourages every 3 years for individuals to move I work in BMS

Texas Instruments2019-03-12

"Poor culture fit for millennials"

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Money. Really the only reason to be there. For high performers, they will throw a ton of RSUs at you as a retention strategy.

Cons

The culture is outdated and a good ol boys club. Nobody cares about the person next to them and their only motivations are in self preservation.

Texas Instruments2019-02-16
  10. "Product/Test Engineer intern"

Former Intern - Product Test Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments for less than a year

Pros

Everything about TI was incredible.

Cons

There really isn’t anything negative about this company.

Texas Instruments2018-10-31