Texas Instruments Reviews in Stafford, TX | Glassdoor

Texas Instruments Stafford Reviews

Stafford, TX

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Compensation and work/life balance are very good (in 226 reviews)

• Good work environment, Good Play facilities (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is little difficult (in 78 reviews)

• Seemingly infinite tiers of upper management kept everyone out of the loop until deadlines were encroaching (in 42 reviews)

1. "Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Stafford, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Stafford, TX

Pros

Very open environment, easy for interns to gain knowledge/experience n a variety of different positions and network with employees in all parts of the company

Cons

The environment at TI is very structured. If you are looking for a relaxed, inviting work place TI is not for you. As interns we were also not allowed access to the break room.

Advice to Management

I really liked the weekly meeting for feedback. I love how willing everyone was to keep us learning and productive instead of filing paperwork. My only complaint is that I wish we could stay after hours if necessary

2. "Texas Instruments provided me many years of a decent wage and good benefits."

Former Employee - Product and Process Technician in Stafford, TX
    Former Employee - Product and Process Technician in Stafford, TX

Pros

Texas Instruments provided competitive wages, good benefits, and training opportunities that gave knowledge for the job and for safety (which benefitted the employee for work or home).
    Texas Instruments was good at keeping their employees informed of the company's performance and the individual's performance.

Cons

At times, the supervisors needed to be more encouraging and supportive to the operators.

Advice to Management

Advice that I have for Texas Instruments management is to be more hands-on and friendly with the operators that would promote camaraderie and teamwork.

3. "Texas Instruments is a very good company to work for."

Former Employee - Staffing Administrator in Stafford, TX
    Former Employee - Staffing Administrator in Stafford, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

TI has a very diverse in their hiring. They offer employees and contractors many perks and amenities. The work atmosphere is friendly and casual. They provide many opportunities for job advancement.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business, it is either feast or famine. Layoffs are always looming and you don't have the feeling of job stability. The compensation and retirement packages are not always as generous as they should be.

"Great place to start and learn, but ultimately just another stifling and politicized corporate sweatshop"

Former Employee - Engineer in Stafford, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Stafford, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will be given as much responsibility as you show you can handle, quickly, and will have lots of opportunity to learn new skills. If you have deep specialization in areas that are important to the business you will (probably) have pretty good job security - as long as the company stays in that business area.

Cons

Entitlement mentality towards uncompensated labor from middle and upper management. Highly political and sometimes bullying environment, entrenched mediocrity in middle management, "blame the troops" backstabbing from incompetents. Managers and employees who understand and accept the status quo of "needing" to be highly political take credit for the work of others who won't or haven't figured out how to play the political game. Unspoken but well known mafia system where those who get made survive all layoffs regardless of whether they maintain their business or technical edge, and get to wet their beaks at the bonus pool whether they put in a strong contribution for the year or not. Company and upper management shift the product strategy and cede markets to nimbler competitors with regularity. Poor documentation & dissemination of company specific technical knowledge means that such knowledge resides only with those who are willing to throw work/life balance in the trash and do organizationally inefficient individual from-scratch learning (basically reverse engineering the company's own IP), creating a perverse differentiator for compensation and advancement , a two-class technical staff, and key personnel risks for the company.

If you are a talented and creative individual, you are selling yourself incredibly short by becoming a lifer here.

Advice to Management

Identify and promptly remove the no-talent political weasels in middle management - these people hang on for decades, creating internal rot and blocking the paths of more capable subordinates. Drive from the very top down a culture of true meritocracy. Current CEO has plenty of stories about the careers of others being thrown under the bus in order to advance. Career competitiveness is good - but only when it's meritocracy based and not grade school playground bullying. Earn every penny of your outsized compensation packages by driving a coherent, sustainable, high-margin product strategy that rains big buckets of money on the rank and file engineers who sacrifice evenings and weekends to make the products happen. In other words, make it so that it is actually economically rational for employees to obsess about the company as much as you want them to. Stop insulting your employees' intelligence by trying to "compensate" them with "psychic rewards". Nobody can pay their bills with "psychic rewards". The company is not a charity - and neither are the employees. Employees want their hard work to matter - financially. Not in some vague, foofy, psychic reward kind of way. There are lots of very bright people here and the company could be really great if they had the guts to fix their culture and the vision to know what an enlightened culture actually looks like.

5. "Over 33 years with T.I."

Former Employee - Computer Sys Administrative in Stafford, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Sys Administrative in Stafford, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good health and retirement benefits, Great people. Good opportunity for advancement if you work hard and keep up with your education. Open door policy allows any employee to schedule a conference with anyone in management.

Cons

Sometimes its very difficult to fund projects.
    Some benefits have changed for the bad over the years that I worked for T.I. such as retirement medical. When I started working there, medical was paid in full for the retiree. Not so any longer. I'm not complaining as it is still better than buying a O-Bama plan.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the little guy in which the company couldn't run without.

6. "Great"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Stafford, TX
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Stafford, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time

Pros

Stable company with annual profit sharing payouts

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement

"Stable company"

Current Employee - Associate in Stafford, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Stafford, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job security is high. Benefits for those that have been here for some time are great. Profit sharing is attractive.
    Great company to work for if you are fine with limited growth opportunities.

Cons

Pay is lower than industry standards. If you are a newer employee you are now subject to the lower benefit trends that other companies are using. Talent is wasted or not fully utilized. The environment is the same as it was in the 70's. Creative energies are not promoted.

Advice to Management

Promote those with experience and not just by academic credentials. Very limited resources used to grow employees.

8. "Execllent"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Stafford, TX
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Stafford, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, solid employer.

Cons

Difficult to advance in the company.

9. "No direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with.

Cons

Management has no clear direction on what they want the company to produce.

10. "Program Management"

Current Employee - Mid Level Management in Stafford, TX
    Current Employee - Mid Level Management in Stafford, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work-Life Balance, leading technology company, very knowledgable people, competitive compensation.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities but that's location dependent. To grow and be at senior management level it's almost a requirement to move to Dallas eventually - the head office.

Advice to Management

Be open with employees. Don't create positions just to save someone's job and impact someone's growth trajectory.

Showing 37 of 2,108 reviews