Texas Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert C. Robbins, M.D.

1. "I liked the job"

Former Employee - Propertiary Sercurity Officer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Propertiary Sercurity Officer in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good for the work you do. Health insurance is through Cigna. Most people that work there are nice. They have 3 shifts (6am-2:30am) (2:30pm-10:00pm) (10:00pm-6amm), plus Christmas bonus checks.

Cons

This job is a "Stuck job". By Stuck I mean everybody that works here are looking to retire from here. People get comfortable in being here where they never leave, and don't have no desire to find something better.

Advice to Management

No room for opportunity

2. "All duties included"

Former Employee - Parking in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Parking in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours , birthday list and good communication among employees.

Cons

Pass this opportunity by because once your hired they don't tell all your duties, you pretty much do it all here. I mean in the sense of clean this up, call this person, call that person, watch this camera, watch that screen, watch the weather, watch your emails, watch the parking equipment. I also was asked to help TMC employees with things to do, thanks.

Advice to Management

This was an experience that taught me to ask what are my job duties?

"Graphic Designer at TMC"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Management came in to build a younger more progressive workforce. You get access to many parts of all of the Texas Medical Center.

Cons

I often found myself in solitude in a cubicle for full days. Corporate environment so for a creative it wasn't always easy selling my ideas due to politics.

Advice to Management

Push for more collaboration between teams. Be clear with what expectations are for finished products.

5. "Fooled Again"

Former Employee - Services in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Services in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I would say 4 to 5 years ago when this place was really up and coming but times have changed since then, food during holidays employee or shift of the month, great and outstanding health benefits............All Gone

If i was the last departments to stay around i would be on high alert, the company is going in a new direction but at least they offered a severance package hope they offer that to the last ones standing

Cons

Slick lay-offs or what you call another company taking over but you can still have a job if they offer you one, but their that's lack of trust issues, we were told not another one, but its not an actually lay off unless you take a job with this new company and they end off using your talents to train their staff, who knows.

Advice to Management

Management has their agenda and vision of bigger things in the near future. Thanks for the memories.

"The Pick of the litter"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Three different shifts, their used to be alot of pros, but that has since changed

Cons

To say i didn't work their as long as I wanted to they introduced this bonus program but if your not a nice looking female or in the higher ups forget about five figure bonuses more less your to the bottom, it's the below average staff that runs the place you would think management makes all the money and all the other advantages that comes with your position. Bless the little people, some people have left based on that alone not getting their fare share.

Advice to Management

Family and friends getting hired the pick of their friends getting their fare shake is not fair, i have head this from former employee and myself working their since 2009

7. "Managers who say nothing and input new polices but where is the new employee handbook and people change new title"

Current Employee - Technical in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technical in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and work environment are okay

Cons

New management no updated employee handbook

Advice to Management

Try speaking to your employees more small talk goes along way,

8. "Different Directions"

Former Employee - Very Technical in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Very Technical in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

24 Hours a day Job, multiple positions

Cons

Promises are not kept when they are made concerning bonuses and people are kept in the void when they make changes, no more company dinners and meals when Holidays arrive

Advice to Management

Stop trying to force people out by doing your own checks, studies and if it's not broke then don't fix it, and stop keeping info from the higher ups about technical issues and other expenses that have been lost due new company agreements with contractors.

9. "One of the worst places I've worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the type of work I did and the people I worked with on a day to day basis

Cons

The management was awful! Executive management micro-managed everything basically because they didn't know or could understand their own jobs. Don't trust HR for anything! Gossipy and conniving group of women. They are not their to help you; in fact, they will do any and everything to make your experience there miserable. Plus, who are you going to complain to when HR sucks?! They pay below scale and the benefits were mediocre at best. You never knew who was out to get you. Miserable place to work.

Advice to Management

None, they are useless.

10. "No Future unless your not going anywhere"

Former Employee - Unemployed in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Unemployed in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and use to be the benefits

Cons

Managers wondering why some employees make debating they are overpaid, the past managers were nice, let people know things, up and coming events, future plans and investments

Advice to Management

Have your employees state what is needed in the company and how to make it more comfortable without people wondering if they are going to have a job each November, it should be noted

11. "An odd and mostly unpleasant place to work"

Current Employee - Procurement in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Procurement in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

OK pay and benefits, was near my house and the actual workday was a breeze.

Cons

TMC preaches about policies and procedures but no one really follows or cares to enforce either. Safety, cost savings and quality are supposedly HUGE concerns to the company, but less of an actual mindset and more-so a neat things to talk about in meetings. Every project is value engineered to work for the short term. I guess it's a way to ensure future work or to just get by until it's someone else's problem. OSHA and safety requirements are simply theories and burdens. More time is spent getting around policies than simply following them. Budgets are just imaginary $$$$$ in imaginary buckets. TMC is a private non-profit organization that collects "annual assessments" (essentially HOA fees) from the 50+ member institutions within our campus. When we run out of said buckets of money we then try to strong arm our member institutions to foot the bill.

The younger or newer employees (with these apparently irrelevant things called college degrees) who haven't been with the company their entire life are deemed outcasts. The good old boys and girls that started their careers at TMC as admins or maintenance guys rule the roost. If you don't "drink the kool-aid" you get "re-organized". There are easily 20 Vice Presidents that spend their entire day in meetings rather than managing their actual staff. Of those said 20 VP's half have college degrees that they attained online. For a company with less than 200 employees the number of Managers, Directors, or VP's is just excessive, especially when the maintenance department makes up roughly half the work force. There are literally departments that have 1 or two people in them...typically with just a VP or director and an admin.

Zumba classes, healthy living seminars, weekly birthday & anniversary cake parties, and promises of change are doled out in turn when the natives get restless, while upper management covers their backsides to fight off the likes of intimidation, workplace bullying, malintent, and race discrimination (see Kool-aid mentioned above). Cold, calculated plans of attack are put in place when they feel someone is about to expose their dilapidated and outdated management strategies. Speaking your mind is strictly forbidden and retaliatory headcount reductions or reorganization, or workforce optimization, or whatever they call it next are swiftly carried out. Glazed, painted over and craftily delivered presentations to employees about why they should be grateful to be working at such a great company.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to be something you aren't and know your role. You are the landlord of the largest medical center in the world. You are simply responsible for the maintenance and management of the land and any facilities that may be on it. You need to focus on treating your tenants better and get better at supporting them.