Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Love it"

Current Employee - Texas in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Austin, TX

Pros

Family Atmosphere,Colleagues, Mission, and Opportunities are great.

Cons

As with any gov. org, paperwork could be streamlined but overall it's been a great experience.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. "worst company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Non-Management in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Non-Management in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Texas Parks & Wildlife Department full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lots of holidays to take off,if they let you

Cons

Just a good old boys club,I have worked in several parks and wildlife departments and Texas Parks and Wildlife is the worst and the most unprofessional I have ever worked for. Never seen the level of corruption I have seen in Texas Parks

Advice to Management

GET RID OF YOUR GOOD OLD BOYS CLUB, fire some of your management problems and make them accountable for there actions instead of covering up for there incompetence and unprofessional attitudes and comments.

"Everyone seems to be hanging on just to meet retirement!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Parks & Wildlife Department full-time

Pros

If you are outdoor lovers, this is the place for you.
    relaxed dress code- sometimes too relaxed
    Getting Texas Holidays off
    comp time
    Free entrance to the parks

Cons

Stuck in the past
    Lack of diversity
    Slow as snail
    Workforce skews older- near retirement
    Management- Male dominated
    Not chance for moving upwards cause folks don't get fired or leave even when they are eligible for retirement
    Some employees lack of work ethic can demotivate you from wanting to go above and beyond

Advice to Management

Provide paths for growth
    Hold people accountable for their jobs

4. "Full of hardworking people who believe in what they are doing."

Current Employee - Maintenance Specialist III in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance Specialist III in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Parks & Wildlife Department full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good retirement options, excellent paid holidays, a plethora of annual, holiday, sick leave, etc. I have found that while there are a few folks working with TPWD who have a bad attitude or who are just worn out, most of the folks I have met at conferences and travelling to other parks really do enjoy their job and believe in what they do. I work in the State Parks Division and have filled roles such as a clerk at headquarters, maintenance, interpreter, and more and really enjoy what I do.

Cons

It can be hard to be promoted in State Parks division unless you are willing to relocate or wait for someone above you to relocate, quit, or retire. The pay isn't great for the education required for many positions. As a state agency there is a lot of red tape involved in doing anything. The state overspends on large projects and large projects cost double what they do in private sector work.

Advice to Management

Start giving cost of living raises to the people who work so hard for an agency they believe in. Try to keep red tape at a minimum.

"Tx. Parks and Wildlife"

Current Employee - Scientist in Austin, TX

Pros

None, except nice physical atmosphere

Cons

The most extreme decriminalization against women I have ever seen in a work place.. Women are both expected to be afraid of men and be welcoming about sexual harassment. The only women that advance are the one that give in. One is expected to dress sexy.

Advice to Management

Fire your rednecks, hire up to date, educated people and stop the 1930s management style.

6. "8 years experiences"

Current Employee - Scientist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Parks & Wildlife Department full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good place to work, easy job, nice manager and nice colleague

Cons

low salary, noisy work environment, bad air conditioner, small restroom

Advice to Management

be open minded

7. "A Great Agency"

Current Employee - Park Ranger III in Jasper, TX
    Current Employee - Park Ranger III in Jasper, TX

Pros

State pension, 401k, 457, medical and flex payment, 10-14 paid holidays, 8-10 hrs of vacation and sick leave accrued every month, over-time/comp time, great work environment, potential for advancement

Cons

Must work most weekends and holidays

"A distinct environment in which to work for the environment."

Current Employee - Web Administrator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Web Administrator in Austin, TX

Pros

Texas Parks & Wildlife does work few other people do - there are opportunities for biologists, scientists and conservationists that don't exist many other places. There's also a sense of 'family' amongst staff and a pretty laid back atmosphere, compared with other state agencies.

Cons

Teamwork is both promoted and necessary - mavericks may get things done, but a bottom-up approach is not usually widely supported. Politics rule many decisions by upper management, so making sure to be well connected is definitely worth the effort.

Advice to Management

While state agencies, in general, are known for moving slowly and making politically-based decisions, it's not uncommon for these circumstances to foster complacency and run off critical and innovative thinkers. Though it is a large responsibility for an agency tasked with serving the public and using tax dollars responsibly, few good things can be accomplished without taking some measure of risk.

9. "Just trying to move forward in life"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Texas Parks & Wildlife Department as an intern

Pros

great experience and start to professional career

Cons

monotonous, disorganized, lack of advancement

Advice to Management

you are doing great

"I wish I could have done more."

Current Employee - CSRI
    Current Employee - CSRI

I have been working at Texas Parks & Wildlife Department part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved having the opportunity to work within an agency that I truly believed in. There were really some magical moments working here, seeing the wildlife, and learning with the customers about the area and wildlife. I only wish I could have done more for the agency. The benefits are great, although they are the same in any Texas state agency. The customers were mostly pleasant to talk to and serve, they really appreciate the park and are genuinely concerned with its progress and well-being. TPWD deserves more love and more funding, and sadly it gets so little.

Cons

I am in a situation where I love the agency but dislike the capacity I work in. The pay is well below average. As a part time employee I make peanuts. I had hoped this position would be a way to get my foot in the door, but advancement has proven very difficult. People have been in the same positions for 20 years. Diversity is lacking, and roles appear to pertain to gender. There is a lack of new growth and ideas, and funding is slim.

Advice to Management

Give employees a chance to grow, if they are willing to take it.