Texas State Auditor's Office Reviews | Glassdoor

Texas State Auditor's Office Reviews

Updated May 14, 2019

Found 29 reviews

2.9

"Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas State Auditor's Office full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I felt the need to provide some balance after reading some less than positive feedback that I just don't agree with. I find the staff to be professional and friendly and the work is meaningful and rewarding. The work/life balance is better than any other job I’ve had (and I’ve had a few). I typically work a 40 hour a week. Any time worked in excess of 40 hours a week is called compensatory time and is available to use...

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Texas State Auditor's Office2017-10-16
  2. "It was ok"

Former Employee - Senior Auditor

I worked at Texas State Auditor's Office full-time

Pros

- Hours were good until you become a project manager - Flexible schedule - Great IT department and good equipment - Organized and efficient compared to other government organizations

Cons

- Management is not open to constructive feedback; tend to promote "yes-men" - Because of constantly changing supervisors, it is hard to terminate bad employees. If a bad employee sucks up to the right people, they can coast forever. - Difficult to gain expertise in a field, because many people are generalists and unable to train new staff - Scheduling on projects is a mess

Advice to Management

Be open to change. Try to keep good employees happy. Listen to employee feedback and say yes when you can. Provide training so people can build competencies.

Texas State Auditor's Office2019-05-15
  3. "Auditor III"

I have been working at Texas State Auditor's Office full-time

Pros

Government job with government benefits

Cons

Not changing with workplaces around them. Still stuck in the monkey suit mentality.

Texas State Auditor's Office2018-10-16
  4. "Stay away from this place..."

Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas State Auditor's Office full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are not many positives things to say about working at this agency. The real benefit is having yet another blip or bullet on the resume for experience. The folks I met that were great people have since left the SAO.

Cons

For new employees fresh out of college, they’re forced into the ‘Peer Mentorship Training Program’. This program is disguised as something great but is terrible and I encourage all younger employees or early auditors to stay away. While I was at the SAO, a few hire ups were thinking about renaming the ‘Training Program’ just to re-image and disguise the hiring corruption. Whether they call it the “Peer Mentorship Training...

Texas State Auditor's Office2018-06-23
  5. "Auditor IV"

I worked at Texas State Auditor's Office full-time

Pros

The people are pretty great. The work/life balance is nice.

Cons

Management only promote people to make themselves look better. Which leads to lots of people with bad work ethic to be high up in the hierarchy.

Texas State Auditor's Office2017-12-20
    • "Good Starting Career"

Current Employee - Auditor

I have been working at Texas State Auditor's Office full-time for more than a year

Pros

40 hours/week. Pretty nice facilities for a state government agency. Good management. Lot of holidays and other incentive days off.

Cons

Salary could be competitive. Downtown traffic. Usual boring government culture.

Advice to Management

Management is doing good job.

Texas State Auditor's Office2017-10-03
    • "Senior Auditor"

I worked at Texas State Auditor's Office full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great resources, career track and people

Cons

back office politics get old.

Texas State Auditor's Office2017-09-20
    • "Has its Pros and Cons"

I have been working at Texas State Auditor's Office full-time

Pros

Increasing your salary is simple, just do your job and a raise will come. Some of the Staff are great people.

Cons

Its is a "good ole boys club" as far as management. You have the employees who have been here for over 20 years and they are treated way better than younger employees.

Advice to Management

Take care of your younger auditors, you need them to help grow the agency and help train new hires.

Texas State Auditor's Office2017-07-14

"Awful!"

Former Employee - Auditor IV in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas State Auditor's Office full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A steady paycheck. Comp time allows employees to 'bank' hours enabling small flexibility in their work schedules.

Cons

Benefits are not as great as they seem. College tuition is really a terrible loan. No telecommuting. Terrible attitudes and confrontations when even attempting improve areas. The training program alone is an absolute joke. The real function of the on-boarding process is for HR and Professional Development to hire employees and shift the burden onto the staff to train these new, young, and potentially incompetent...

Advice to Management

If it's not blatantly obvious, look at the high attrition and what is causing it. Or just continue to high classes of employees because the agency can barely sustain itself.

Texas State Auditor's Office2017-07-28
      • "Excellent place to work"

I worked at Texas State Auditor's Office full-time

Pros

My Experince was amazon working here. I got to learn a lot and I was performing task which now at a top 4 firm are only given to upper Audit management.

Cons

Does not pay well and You need to be an extrovert or a perform well beyond your expectation to earn the promotion.

Texas State Auditor's Office2017-03-27