Texas State Technical College Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Good Job Growing the Texas Workforce"

I have been working at Texas State Technical College full-time

Pros

The college, even with ten campuses, feels a lot like a family. Fort Bend is growing, which is exciting.

Cons

Our dependency on state money means that when Texas tightens its belt, so must we.

Advice to Management

Grow the Foundation. Keep working on communication.

2. "Top Heavy"

Current Employee - Faculty
    Current Employee - Faculty

I have been working at Texas State Technical College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The faculty and staff are great.

Cons

The administration is not in touch with the realities of the faculty and staff. Not counting compensation adjustments, in the last 15 or so years, the faculty has only had actual pay raises of about 9-10%. In the last four years administration has had average compensation increase of 16-19%. Administration makes decisions that effect faculty and the classrooms without consulting faculty. Communication from faculty up has always been adequate, but from admin down is practically non-existent, other than directives.

Advice to Management

Make no decision that concern faculty and classrooms without faculty input. No one gets a raise, unless everyone gets a raise. Let faculty decide what is needed to teach, and how to run the Instructional side of the business. They are the ones doing it!

3. "System is Clueless"

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Texas State Technical College full-time

Pros

Was surrounded by great people on my level. Benefits such as healthcare and retirement were good.

Cons

Upper management has no concept of what it means to make TSTC "a great place to work." Do not, I repeat DO NOT attempt to take a position at the new Fort Bend campus until big changes are made. The salaries do not match up with the cost of living in the area and it is so bad that multiple employees there are on food stamps. They will continue to pile on responsibilities outside of your job description and expect you to kiss their feet just because they gave you the "experience." Your thanks will be I kid you not a coupon for a ham at HEB at the end of the year. If you were motivated in the beginning, they will suck the morale from you before you leave. I saw so many internal issues when I was there that I was shocked by their ability to keep their image intact. So much potential being wasted

Advice to Management

Respect your faculty and staff more! They make the campus. If you don't then they will find another place to work and be honest about the many issues at the college they saw when they're asked about why they left. I had a lot of enthusiasm when I first started, but when you're treated like dirt no matter how hard you work to cover classes at all hours, who's going to stay for that?

5. "Terrible current administration"

I have been working at Texas State Technical College full-time

Pros

The faculty really care for students and most will work hard if the students care. Great industry support for the programs and fantastic graduates!

Cons

The administration doesn't think about any of the front line workers including faculty, custodial, or lower level staff (department secretaries, etc.). As long as they get big raises & fancy offices they are happy. No communications go down to the workers!

Advice to Management

Start caring and communicating! Stop lying about where the funds go!

6. "Production Print Shop"

Pros

Everyone there is awesome to work with. They taught me evverything I need to know to work in a print shop.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that you don't get paid for internships here.

7. "Improving Overall Morale"

Pros

Great Students and Great Benefits,

Cons

Lack of Communication across statewide locations

"A Mediocre Place to Work"

Pros

Everyone in my department was supportive, kind, and competent. My colleagues were hard-working and they tried to create a family culture for all of us. There was little drama or miscommunication--at that level. Good state benefits.

Cons

Single-accreditation meant that many high-level administrators detached from a department's every-day functions were making decisions that could affect you negatively, which even your supervisor had no control over. You were not trusted to provide any useful input, and if you complained about being overworked or stretched over multiple responsibilities that conflicted with each other, you were "not a team player." The pay is not competitive, and unless you turn into a neurotic admin-pleaser who overreacts to the anxieties you yourself create ("Omg, there's no one in the office between 6-7PM on Friday when one student may visit?! We'd better tell Susan, who already has 30 hours of comp time she hasn't used yet, that she needs to miss her son's ball game and sit in her office just in case someone calls.") you won't get promoted. You can be there for years, doing your job well, never getting a performance review (which is in their handbook...) and waiting for a fair salary increase, which will never come.

Advice to Management

Disregard pretentious titles and listen to your ground-level employees--they will have the best insights in your meetings. Show appreciation to those who work hard in meaningful ways. Focus on the student's experience and growth, not simply an enrollment head count.

9. "General"

Current Employee - Chair/Flight Instructor/Check Instructor in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Chair/Flight Instructor/Check Instructor in Waco, TX

I have been working at Texas State Technical College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Retirement and Insurance Benefits Excellent

Cons

Unsettling if not adaptable to change

"Lost"

I have been working at Texas State Technical College full-time

Pros

Great co-workers at faculty and staff level.

Cons

Bunches (at least 30 and adding to every day) of upper level management (making well into six figures compared to faculty making barely 50K full time and I won't even talk about how staff is underpaid) misguided by youtube videos of the future. Willing to throw away 50 years of tradition and what works to a peyote/alcohol inspired "vision."

Advice to Management

We do not need a corporate banking organizational structure. How many vice chancellors, associate vice chancellors, executive directors, executive assistants are possible. Why is it that administration accounts for half of total salaries paid out? We are not Goldman Sachs.

"Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Waco, TX

Pros

They are flexible with time outside of scheduled classes. This is depends on the department. The benefits are good.

Cons

Upper management changes its mind too often. They do not let the effects of change take hold and then they change again. They are more concerned with their own careers than the well being of the school or the success of the students. The pay is not competitive to being a field technician. Generally, they have made a funky attitude that ruins the overall work environment,

Advice to Management

Leave. You are not the right people for this place. Go ruin some other place.