Cover image for Texas Womans University

Texas Womans University

Is this your company?

Texas Womans University

Add a Review

Texas Womans University Employee Reviews about "twu"

Updated Sep 6, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 218 of over 218 reviews
4.1
79% Recommend to a Friend
93% Approve of CEO

Found 9 of over 218 reviews

4.1
Texas Womans University Chancellor Ann Stuart (no image)
Ann Stuart

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,937

976 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Texas Womans University and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "twu"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great place to work

Sep 6, 2021 - Conference Assistant in Denton, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked full time at TWU for 8 years before taking a step back to part time. They are family-friendly and supportive in personal endeavors, and the pay is far and equitable. Denton campus is close to home and easy to access. Beautiful grounds.

Cons

Sometimes the politics of working for a university get in the way of getting the job done.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee

TWU

Dec 28, 2020 - IT Support
    Business Outlook

Pros

TWU offers employees Good benefits

Cons

Because of multiples campuses there is Lack of growth

3. Join the Texas Womans University team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work if you are in the right office

Jun 1, 2020 - Student Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you work in the right office, you get really great benefits and the school truly does serve the underserved

Cons

There are plenty of offices at TWU that are functioning as if it is the 90's

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not a terrible place to work

Apr 19, 2017 - Library Assistant in Denton, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

My direct supervisor was excellent. I was treated like an intelligent human being and given the space I needed to get the job done and to do it well. Training was a little seat-of-the-pants, but I was given the opportunity to document workflow for subsequent hires, which I have heard worked well since I left. The university (on the staff side) seems to appreciate collaboration. The benefits are pretty good, and the employee health initiative is quite nice--there's an incentive to join the university gym, which grants you an extra 30 minutes to your lunch hour each week if you also work out.

Cons

I come at this from a staff point of view: my supervisors were excellent, but the other departments seemed in competition with one another, and there was a looming threat of layoffs and shakeups that made things seem painfully uncertain. Despite my degrees in higher education, I was treated as a student worker, and that was beyond frustrating. I tried to connect with my fellow employees and was quite often rebuffed, if not completely ignored. It made for a toxic environment. Pay is less than stellar. Obviously the state is suffering in terms of public funding (as it has been and probably will be for some time), and TWU is definitely feeling the crunch.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Denton, TX: Potential that never came, but is still "in the works."

Feb 2, 2015 - Library Assistant in Denton, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Family-like orientation to fellow co-workers. Camaraderie among those who are equivalents to your rank. Leave your work on campus when you leave. Offer or consider allowing you to search out training, workshops, conferences to attend to further your learning while on the job.

Cons

Higher ups always seemed to say they look out for your well-being in terms of representation, but never saw any movement in terms of progression or salary increase. Not much room for growth. Not much acceptance of "out of the box" ideas. Administration is run by "old blood" and hard to get anything off the ground as far as ideas. However, they have a new Chancellor now as of a few months ago, so hopefully TWU will see some change for the better.

7. 5.0
    Current Intern, more than 1 year

A Great Place to Work!

Mar 16, 2016 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been associated with TWU for over twenty years, and I have worked for them for the past 2+ years, after leaving UNT. TWU has a great culture ever since the new Chancellor (Dr. Carine Feyten) came on board. We are in the process of creating a new Strategic Plan, and I am confident our university is headed in the right direction--it's a great place to work!

Cons

Currently, our HR department only authorizes pay rates at 80% of market value, with very few exceptions. I am not sure if/when that policy will change, but despite that, I still came to work here, if that tells you anything! In some situations, there is more to life than worrying about that last 20%.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Texas Woman's University is getting better for both students and employees

Aug 13, 2014 - Student Assistant in Denton, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

TWU is a pretty good place to work depending on why you're here. From my observations, being full time here is hit or miss, and really depends on your boss. However, I was able to glimpse into various facets of the Student Life division as a student, and can say, for the most part, the environment here is great for students and staff alike.

Cons

Most of the cons at TWU involve general environment or leadership depending on who you're working for. For students, I've seen both great and really bad situations. Student assistants can be entrusted with more the longer you stay, but it really depends. For full time workers, it is expected you'll make less here than you can in the private sector.

9. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Lovely!

Aug 28, 2017 - Assistant Professor in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very manageable staff. Loved working here. The kids at the school are so nice and well behaved it makes me smile.

Cons

I really can't think of anything that is a con for TWU it's a great school for a work environment and student environment

10. 2.0
    Former Employee

Student Life unfortunately very toxic

Aug 17, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with students is always a joy; Texas state teacher benefits; great mission for empowering the women of Texas.

Cons

I had a very negative experience working in Student Life, as have many many people. The most quality employees don't tend to stay very long before looking for work elsewhere, especially entry-level folks. There is very little support from upper management, and many people feel very neglected, or even abused with the long hours and very little support. I felt as if I was just there to perform tasks, but no one cared about my personal contributions, or who I am outside of a title. When I had a personal emergency, I was met with more negativity than I thought was humanly possible, especially from people who claim to be a "campus with a heart." I was once told I was "spending too much time with students," just because my supervisor was threatened by my student-first approach. I do not feel the values of Student Life align with national standards or precedents for Student Affairs. I hate to leave such a negative review, but I believe that people (especially those fresh out of grad school eager to make a difference) should be warned. Before I went to TWU, I was bright, energetic, eager, and positive - I left feeling broken. I hope that change can happen at the highest levels of Student Life with supporting students AND staff as top priority.

11. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good Place to Work!

Jan 26, 2016 - Program Coordinator in Denton, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The community I've developed with my coworkers is something I value. TWU has a very welcoming environment to new students and staff. I also appreciate having full benefits.

Cons

My struggle is with the salary. As an average millennial with student loans, car payment, etc., I live paycheck to paycheck.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 Reviews