KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

TextNow CEO Derek Ting
Derek Ting
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, work should not be work!

Jun 3, 2021 - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging place to work, no red tape. make an impact. People first culture.

Cons

Distributed team, large code base

Recruitment Ops

We’re glad to hear that you are enjoying your time at TextNow, and we want to thank you for your contributions as we work to bring communication to everyone.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great mission, strong new leadership, and talented co-workers

Oct 5, 2020 - Senior Android Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The product is used by 10's of millions of people every month. There are a lot of scale challenges to support billions of voice calls and text messages every month. - The company is profitable. TextNow only raise a seed round 8 years ago. TextNow has a strong business and has plans to grow 10x in the next 3 years. - TextNow moved to a "work best" policy, meaning you can work remotely forever! - The company is run very transparently. Company earnings and profit are shared every month. I feel very aligned with the company's goal and understand how I fit into the company's success. - Major changes to leadership have addressed many of the concerns that have been posted on Glassdoor. A new leader in product, engineering, and growth have changed the culture in a positive way. - Smart, capable, and enjoyable co-workers. TextNow attracts great people, many of whom I call my friends.

Cons

- We have trouble keeping up with the demands of the business. We cannot hire fast enough, which results in existing team getting stretched thing.

3 people found this review helpful

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall great place to work

Oct 28, 2020 - IOS Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture. The culture is fantastic, with an emphasis on "No brilliant jerks" & "creating cool sh*t together" which makes it a really nice work environment with super cool people. The upper management/ CEO is super transparent about everything which is nice. Great benefits ranging from all the usual health/ dental/ eye to honeymoon and maternal. The management really checks in to make sure you're doing well, especially with all the covid madness. The product! TextNow is disrupting the wireless industry by offering free cell service to all. TextNow received small funding 11ish years ago, and has been self-sustained ever since. Super fair and accommodating interview process that even currently being revamped to be more iOS specific, rather than generic algorithm focused.

Cons

The only con, which should be solved soon, is that we are currently stretched kinda thin. We are in the process of a massive scale hiring process for engineering, but in the meantime engineers have a decent load.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Meaningful product, well-capitalized, profitable, good people and plenty of career up-side

Oct 23, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Straightforward use of technology and creativity to make people's lives better in an impactful way. Very profitable and has recently hired some strong leadership to get us past this inflection point. Well-meaning and involved CEO and overall, just a very decent group of people. Strong comp packages.

Cons

We've never raised venture funding because we've always been profitable. As a result, there's not that much awareness or company brand. Evidently, management is working on that.

5. 4.0

Fantastic place to work!

Oct 20, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company quickly pivoted and took bold risks when COVID hit, and as a result, it emerged in a stronger position. The newest members of the senior leadership team are injecting fresh ideas into the org, which are seemingly fast-tracking the business' development as a whole. Transparency and authenticity are valued in lieu of brilliant jerks. 360-degree feedback is also valued, and the org is actively working on being even more diverse and inclusive. I'm in control of my schedule and have the opportunity to work where it suits me best, whether that's at the office or remotely. Vacation is highly encouraged, not frowned upon, to avoid burnout.

Cons

There's a laissez-faire approach to learning and career development. The company wants to achieve so much that it's been challenging getting varying teams clear and aligned on goals and expectations.

Recruitment Ops

We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at TextNow, and we want to thank you for your contributions as we work to bring communication to everyone. As our platform expands, we’re using leading edge technology to offer reliable service, exciting new features, and a first-class customer experience. As we continue to grow, we have brought on a new head of product to help develop our product roadmap and strategy, and we are aggressively hiring for our product team to ensure we have the necessary expertise to execute on these plans.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

Oct 21, 2020 - Data Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- very accommodative of learning - friendly and collaborative work environment - has challenging and exciting projects

Cons

- project management can be chaotic at times

2 people found this review helpful

7. 5.0

Great Company, People and Product

Jan 6, 2021 - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Product that makes a difference in the world. Lots of opportunity for growth and making an impact.

Cons

None that I can say

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

I would give 0 stars if I could...

Feb 19, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Daily catered lunches -Fully stocked pantry -Exclusive gym with trainers to teach a variety of exercise classes -Good pay -401k employer contribution -Benefits fully paid for

Cons

-There is zero autonomy and every single decision needs to go through the CEO -Attrition rate and employee turnover is atrocious, so time is constantly spent training new employees -If you are not an engineer, you're expected to be an order taker and your ideas will never be taken seriously -Clear favorites within the company that are allowed to do whatever they want without consequence -One of the core values is "Take Action & Ownership", but the CEO doesn't even live up to this value. When his projects aren't working well, he places blame on everyone else -CEO engages in unethical business practices and expects his employees to do the same -No long term vision. All initiatives are driven by short term results that can tarnish the company's reputation and profits in the long run -No career growth path available, which is probably because no one stays around long enough to be promoted

7 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Ops

We’re sorry you were dissatisfied with the leadership during your time at TextNow. Our company has grown rapidly, and one of our top priorities has been to expand our leadership team along with our business. In the last 18 months, we’ve hired 7 senior executives, including our CFO, Chief Growth Officer, and heads of engineering, product, monetization, HR, and recruiting to ensure that we are supporting our business and our team as we continue to scale.

9. 5.0

Great place to work

Nov 4, 2020 - Senior IOS Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people; good product; no jerks

Cons

Technical debt in the codebase

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Lack of leaders

Dec 3, 2019 - IOS Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent product, flexible work hours/schedule, good SF office

Cons

CEO is a smart technical person but the company needs stronger leader because he is inexperienced and doesn't know how to manage. Product was managed by him but he has no idea how to run the team so everyone was frustrated. Some good people on the product/tech team but not fully utilized.

7 people found this review helpful

CEO

I'm sorry you came during a time when things weren't as organized as they should've been. Since then, we've hired some great product talent and leadership. Despite the challenges, I am appreciative of your contributions and everything you've done to make our iOS app better. It contributed to our iOS app now rated 4.6 stars in the app store and is in the top 125 in the top free app charts.Derek TingCEO of TextNow

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews