Textron Aviation "cessna" Reviews | Glassdoor

Textron Aviation Employee Reviews about "cessna"

Updated May 29, 2019

3.8
Textron Aviation CEO Ron Draper
Ron Draper
Pros
  • "Working for Cessna was my favorite job(in 35 reviews)

• "Great work life balance, positive culture, growth and development oppotunuties(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no Downsides in Cessna(in 27 reviews)

• "Upper management does not understand basic engineering practices(in 22 reviews)

Reviews about "cessna"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Stay away from the drama"

Current Employee - Repair Technician in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Textron Aviation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice pay, decent benefits, strongish union, get about 1000 bucks bonus every year depending on how company does.

Cons

Drama, drama, drama, constant bickering between old cessna and old beechcraft. A LOT of double standards.

Textron Aviation2019-05-29
  2. "Project Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Textron Aviation

Pros

Environment friendly. Enjoy the work experience.

Cons

There are no Downsides in Cessna.

Textron Aviation2018-02-27
  3. "experimental parts fabrication"

I worked at Textron Aviation full-time

Pros

hired in making great money at a service center life was great good people and management but transferred to wichita and it all went downhill fast

Cons

negotaiated my hire rate but when management found out what i was making they did everything to see that i was gotten rid of off due to a back surgery and they dreamed up some crock story to find a way to get rid of me don't work for cessna unless you are in the union to protect you from unfair practices

Textron Aviation2018-03-16

"Airframe Design Engineer (2+ years)"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Textron Aviation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the best known names in the industry (Cessna and Beechcraft), and a good place to start a career. They give a lot of freedom to new grads and you will have the opportunity to "wear a lot of hats", as this is a much smaller company than giants like Boeing, Lockheed, etc. This could be both good or bad, but those capable of managing this will leave with much more experience in a much shorter amount of time that what is possible elsewhere. Individual designers have a great deal of reach and decision making capabilities. It is common for engineers to point areas of aircraft and claim it as their own, which is a great point of pride as a designer and carries a lot of weight when discussing future opportunities both within and outside of the company. When it comes to design, your voice will carry a lot of weight, and this is something that will not be found at larger companies. Overtime compensation exists even for salaried employees (up to a certain pay grade). The compensation is by hour based on the equivalent hourly rate of your salary. During busy stages of a program, it isn't uncommon for "drawing pushes" to require more than 40 hours a week, and it is nice to receive this compensation directly rather than having to hope for a bonus at the end of the year/quarter. Working schedule is very flexible. Most people set their own hours (within reason) and most managers allow for flex time, where you work 40 hours in a week, but not necessarily five eight hour days.

Cons

Small warning to interns considering full time positions: your experience an intern is not reflective of a full time position. As a new grad that did not intern here prior, it was frustrating to see how well the interns are treated, while the new grads are simply dropped at a desk. New grads do not receive paid flight training, social dinners, field trips, networking events, or any of the benefits that interns enjoy. This shouldn't be a deal breaker on it's own, but it is important to be aware of this when considering any offers. Much of what is listed above in the pros section is a double edged sword. The design freedom puts a great deal of burden on an individual, and leads to a great deal of finger pointing when something goes wrong. The overtime compensation means that working beyond 40 hours is expected and not optional during high workload periods. And the freedom to new grads comes at the cost of any formal training or mentoring programs. Everything is learned on the job, often while actively working toward some impending deadline. Upper management seems out of touch with the business and those below them. Proposed schedules are comically unrealistic, and are often disregarded entirely because of their impossible nature. Mid and low level managers that buy into this form of leadership as yes men are promoted, while those that resist it are pushed out. The appearance of progress is often more important than actual progress, which leads to a lot of questionable decisions and a great deal of wasted time and resources. Additionally, profits come above all else. In a little over two years, there have been three rounds of voluntary retirements followed shortly by layoffs. This isn't because the company is struggling, but simply because we didn't "meet our numbers". The culture this breeds is toxic to say the least, and people regularly fear that they will not make it through the next round when it comes.

Textron Aviation2017-09-03
  5. "Overall, great place to work"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst

I worked at Textron Aviation full-time

Pros

Work/life balance, pay, company perks, and benefits were all fantastic. If Cessna weren't in Wichita, KS, I'd still be working there today.

Cons

Main downside was the general politicking you get in larger corporations. New ideas also moved slowly as the FAA is involved in everything.

Textron Aviation2017-03-09

"Poorly managed company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Textron Aviation full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros at this company. The management is tearing these plants apart. Someone is not overseeing what these so called managers are doing.

Cons

This company is poorly managed by the upper management personnel. Textron has allowed Cessna to rape and pillage Beechcraft and they don't treat anybody fairly.

Textron Aviation2016-12-28

"Buyer"

I have been working at Textron Aviation

Pros

There are not a lot of Pros since the two companies, Beechcraft and Cessna, combined.

Cons

They are only hiring Interns. If you have been out of college a few years, you're not eligible. They are laying off their older employees before they reach retirement age and replacing them with Interns.

Textron Aviation2016-10-21
  8. "Review"

I worked at Textron Aviation full-time

Pros

Friendly people, Diverse worksite, opportunities for upward mobility, lots of opportunities for learning and workshops

Cons

There wasn't really too many things that I can say bad about Cessna. They offered me more than I could have ever asked for.

Textron Aviation2016-04-08

"Cessna"

in Wichita, KS

I worked at Textron Aviation

Pros

My management was very good to me, I was always treated with dignity and respect. Working for Cessna was my favorite job.

Cons

I really have nothing bad to say about Cessna, I was happy there and wish I had not been laid off along with 6000 other employees. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Textron Aviation2016-01-14

"planner/buyer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO

I worked at Textron Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay for that part of the country. Good tuition reimbursement. Good pilot program.

Cons

Promotes people who are the laziest, dumbest, most inexperienced in all departments. Will promote a 21 year old boy out of the military with no job experience over a long time Cessna female employee with a PhD.

Textron Aviation2016-01-13

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 51 reviews