Textron Reviews | Glassdoor

Textron Chairman, President and CEO Scott C. Donnelly
Scott C. Donnelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some business units have regular lay offs (in 11 reviews)

• no pension plan for new employees (in 6 reviews)

1. "Avoid like the plague"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have parking lots. Lots of empty cubes. Big league IT staff.

Cons

This place should be called Textron Unstaffed Systems instead of Unmanned Systems. People leaving right and left. The ship is sinking and management are doing things like turning off the air conditioning for a quarter to find money for an executive bonus.

There are a bunch of level 4s and level1s. Why? Anyone who stays long enough is smart enough to leave for better. Anyone who is 4 and above have on the golden handcuffs and are trying to make it to retirement before the rock hits bottom.

Rank and file hold hilarious if meaningless minor rebellions, which are both sad and depressing. For example, during all hands meetings people connect and disconnect throughout the session to just be annoying? Employees park across multiple parking spaces because management is largely impotent, and won't do anything about it.

Leadership development program (LDP) people seem like perfect naive suckers. Do these people realize the company gets way more out of them than the reverse? SAD.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. A sunk ship could be a free IRAD for unmanned submarines. I just hope the executives secure an amazing golden parachute, while there is still money left.

2. "I do everything I can, but I still get low performance ratings..."

Current Employee - Information Assurance Technician in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Information Assurance Technician in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The new manager is really good. She seems to be smart and looks out for everyone on the team. Period.

Cons

There are some people who are leads and don't know what they are doing. Full stop. What do they do? Are they here just because they are ex-Army? Does that qualify them for anything? I am the smartest guy in the group. I have more degrees than anyone else and I'm about to finish my Masters. They don't listen to me even though I know what I am talking about. I seriously know everything about scanning. Nobody respects that.

Advice to Management

Give those who aren't full engineers some more respect. I work hard, I look out for the young-ones, and I make sure they all feel welcome. We're like family, without the all you can eat breadsticks.

Let's all sit down at La Tolteca and work this out. Seriously, we could all sit down and solve these issues in a day.

"Horrible Leadership on Every Level"

Former Employee - Mechanic in Slidell, LA
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Slidell, LA

I worked at Textron (Less than a year)

Pros

It wasn't far from home

Cons

Where to begin. You spend a majority of your time hunched over in an assault vehicle(being built for foreign countries), when you get caught up...more sitting in the vehicles.Instead of finding more for us to do they make you stay put in the vehicles so upper management does not see you.Parts are very hard to come by also, so when you are assigned something to do, you may or may not have the parts to even get started. Last but certainly not the least or last, safety meetings were spent talking to employees like children.over dumb things like who said what to who and why. Do Not Apply Here!!

Advice to Management

Get on the floor and watch your leads and get shipping and receiving on the ball. no excuse for being out of parts and material. the Afghan National Army pays you big for those TAPV's

4. "LDP"

I have been working at Textron full-time

Pros

Not many pros because stuck at bad Business Unit

Cons

Does not invest in you, huge amount of politics. If you don't know someone in Textron, good luck getting moved up. If you are a salaried employee, you are EXPECTED to work overtime.

Advice to Management

Run and honest company, not one dominated by politics

5. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

After more than a decade, I left Textron. Everything has worked out very well for me. I tolerated Textron's nonsense for too long. Do not be apprehensive. Just say NO. Use Glassdoor and find a nice place to work.

Cons

I simply stayed at Textron too long.

Advice to Management

I do not care. I have moved to a far better place.

6. "ALL MANAGERS AND SUPERVISORS VERY RUDE DISRESPECTFUL MEAN REVENGE FULL CUT THROAT ENVIRONMENT"

I worked at Textron full-time

Pros

Pay was ok find a different job

Cons

Management wouldn't let you use vacation cut throat environment you have to kiss butt to keep your job.

Advice to Management

All management needs to go including ceo neil hague clean house

7. "Very unprofessional"

Former Employee - Plant Engineer
    Former Employee - Plant Engineer

I worked at Textron full-time

Pros

They offer the ability to change companies/positions and give out a form yearly asking if you'd like to change - very good for today's young workforce that, on average, finds a new job every 2 to 3 years.

Cons

I interviewed for 3 different positions over the course of several months. I never heard back about any of them. The interviews all required travel time on my part, wasting my money on gas and food. All for top level engineering positions. The company is so unprofessional that they didn't follow up for any of the positions. It would have been nice to even hear "you are no longer being considered". I had friends who interviewed for 2/3 different positions as well with the same result, no follow up, no contact. In the engineering world that is the peak of un-professionalism.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat prospective engineering employees with dignity and respect. If you have to send an email saying "you're no longer being considered" then so be it. It's better than acting like 15 year olds and just ignoring those who have spent their time and money traveling for face-to-face interviews.

8. "Terrible company"

Former Contractor - Painter in Slidell, LA
    Former Contractor - Painter in Slidell, LA

I worked at Textron as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They are willing to hire you with no experience. This seems like a good thing at first, until you realize that they hire you under false pretenses.

Cons

They put up job openings online under the appearance that you are applying to work with them directly. You are not. They hire through a temp agency, and they try to cut new employees as quickly as possible. They look for the slightest deficiencies in performance, and report them to upper management without even giving you any warning. Textron is a fraud.

Advice to Management

Try actually giving new employees a chance, some instruction, and some basic human decency. You are terrible people.

"Bad Financials"

I have been working at Textron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Looking for younger team players.

Cons

Poorly managed at the corporate level and business units.

Advice to Management

Look for leaders who have experience in a Fortune 100 company.

10. "Impersonal Mangagement Means Bad Results"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Textron as a contractor

Pros

They had work. I took an engagement that was bad from day 2.

Cons

Not enough and overcharged the customer with no additional tasks for "idle" employees. The second worst management team I have ever seen...more than 40 years of professional experience.

Advice to Management

Get a clue..I made more short selling textron than they paid me. Not as much as Marconi, but close.