Textron Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Textron Systems President & CEO Ellen Lord
Ellen Lord

Pros
  • I got some great experience and met some great people while working there (in 24 reviews)

• The benefits are good, especially if you intend to further your education (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the greatest benefits, work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• This leads to high turnover and a frustrating work environment (in 7 reviews)

1. "A Company that Hinders Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cockeysville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cockeysville, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and Benefits, work hours good

Cons

Lack of expression, robot coworkers, management with poor direction, etc

Advice to Management

Instead of hindering your new or current employees from being able to ask questions to anyone within the company you will lose any company growth and the company will go under. Do not attack your employees from asking questions and being curious. You want productivity and good ideas than allow them to be involved. This company reacts so heavily on those that ask questions and attacks them that other companies like corporate or other contracting companies would not do this to their employees. It is ridiculous how HR handles matters. No regard for anyone just as long as they look good. I am so upset in general. I am constantly harassed and bullied at this company and told my manager several times what has been going on and not once has my supervisor handled the problem. Instead of getting direction I have to figure out things on my own. I have asked for help many times. I am tired of being scrutinized for the inability of poor middle and lower management. I was thrown in this with little or no direction in my job duties. This is not how you train employees!

"Death throws"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For many years a good place to work with some great people.

Cons

The original company was sold to an investor, who then sold it and a couple other related defense companies to Textron. During this transition there was mandatory overtime for those working on contracts billed by the hour, way over budget/ Yet it apparently couldn't be stopped by the bureaucracy of the contract. If it wasn't illegal, it should be. After this transition period where the numbers were inflated for the sale to Textron, major contracts dried up, government spending went down, and the company slowly withered away with wave after wave of layoffs. The Overwatch wing was really never incorporated into the larger company.

Advice to Management

Founders got rich, billionaire got rich with extremely questionable business practices, whoever at Textron that paid over $300 million for the company was rooked, and Textron was unable to do anything to save the situation.

"Run away screaming"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Woodstock, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Woodstock, MD

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is good. It has potential to do well due to the type of work. They promote young professionals, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Cons

Lots of distrust and back stabbing. Constant reorganization. No solid direction. Most engineers are good, but the PM and Management level starts to play politics at the engineers' peril. Benefits are sub-average. Communication is terrible.

"Huge Potential, But Misses the Mark"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company at the Director level and below, is filled with people who work arduously to meet customer requirements and protect national security interests. The products are interesting, some of their technologies such as the OSRVT are highly innovative and exciting. A great place to learn how NOT to run a company.

Cons

This is the first company in which I have worked were the VP and above would not have ever made it at giants like General Dynamics, Boeing, Lockheed....etc. Unfortunately, they are chosen by whimsy by the toxic leadership environment in Providence. Enabled by the CEO, this toxicity is rampant in all Textron Systems companies, which is unfortunate, because there is a huge depth in what they could do... Compensation is way below industry standards. Technology to make these products is far below requirements. Sustainment is the only mantra here, NOT innovation - with the exception of OSRVT and Aerosonde.

Advice to Management

Out of the 12 VP's I worked with in Hunt Valley, only two were any where close to be being minimally competent. Advice to Scott Donnelly - stop being stylish and rid your ranks of toxic leaders. Imagine a company with VP's with spines - which is totally different from what you have nurtured up to this point.

"Pit of Despair"

Former Employee - Software Engineeringr in Cockeysville, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineeringr in Cockeysville, MD

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The entry level pay wasn't bad, it wasn't the best offer I had received, but it wasn't the worst either. The dress code was very relaxed so that was nice I guess.

Cons

A living heck. I have never had such a miserable experience in my entire life. There is an atrocious back stabbing culture there. Management promises the customer things they can't deliver, then they sacrifice someone when they inevitably don't deliver. The facility is a dump. The people aren't the best or brightest, and the technology is ancient. Expect to work with sociopaths and other horrible people. Everyone was miserable beyond belief.

Advice to Management

Change everything - everything. You are not doing a single thing well - nothing. Literally everyone in middle management needs to be replaced and should not be rehired by anyone.

7. "The Ship has Sunk"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Textron Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

* The work can be fulfilling when there is work
    * The flexibility is one of the few things keeping people around

Cons

* Very few people left that are worth their weight and incompetent people were and are kept around for years
    * No vision for growth and a lot of senior management that hasn't produced almost anything in years
    * A horrible rating system that prevents the vast majority of employees from getting anything but an average rating which kills morale and productivity

Advice to Management

Instead of getting rid of engineers, get rid of people who have failed to develop business. If an engineer failed to produce a product, they would be let go, why isn't BD held to the same accountability? There is too much overhead due to all the upper management, which drives rates up too high.

Revise the rating system so that it contains decimals and raises are affected down to the fractions. Why would anyone try for a 4 when they could score what could effectively be a 3.8 yet be rounded down to a 3 due to the system? Very few people want to put in the extra effort as a result.

Get away from the DCGS-A SIL and find good opportunities in other areas and branches of the military

8. "really bad - biased management"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Slidell, LA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Slidell, LA

I have been working at Textron Systems (More than a year)

Pros

not that I know off

Cons

hostile work environment not conducive to creative engineering

Advice to Management

promote people with technical and managerial competence

9. "Gurgle, gurgle..."

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get to work in a decent office space with covered parking.

Cons

Everything was cut to the bone so all the engineering talent left for greener pastures. Then they started cutting into bone, then amputating limbs. I'm surprised they're still in business.

Advice to Management

It's time to reinvent yourself

10. "Jumping on the Band Wagon in post 911"

Former Employee - Technical Writer III in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer III in Sterling, VA

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Private - it was the greatest place to work. We were truely co-workers. Great benefits!

Cons

Post-acquisition - everything, profit-sharing inequality, change in health plan, employee morale, you name it, it happened... eventual layoffs across the board.

11. "Downward spiral"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people are great. Relaxed atmosphere and work schedule are the top pros.

Cons

Poor management. Bad people are kept for reasons that are not know. There are many senior level people that should have been gone a long time ago but are still there. The best people that care and make a difference are gone by either layoffs or thier own choice.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all mid to senior leaders and replace with new ones that are mission oriented but care about their product, customers and employees. Do what you have to too keep good people. Give a raise if needed, or promote to positions of higher responsibility to challenge them.