Textron Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Textron Systems President and CEO Lisa Atherton
Lisa Atherton
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I got some great experience and met some great people while working there (in 30 reviews)

• Steady work-life balance, friendly co-workers (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the greatest benefits, work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management is losing touch with the employees that conduct the work and execute the projects that bring in the profits (in 14 reviews)

1. "Good place to work but losing touch"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits / Ample time off when the work load is low / Employees have passion about their roles / People want to see the products succeed

Cons

Upper management is losing touch with the employees that conduct the work and execute the projects that bring in the profits.

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to your people. They are starting to become frustrated with higher due to increased profit directives from higher. You will start to lose valuable employees.

2. "Maintain Vigilance"

Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wide span of companies and products = generally good opportunity for advancements; Good cross-company functional communication; Compensation

Cons

Poor to non-existent mentorship of mid-level executive management (Sr VP/GMs); Serve as insulators instead of communicators; Results/style often flow down to VP/Dir level

Advice to Management

Relationship building and trust needs to continue through GM level and beyond.

3. "Systems Engineer I Review - Textron Systems"

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement in company

"Completely dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Entry-level Human Resources in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Entry-level Human Resources in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great resume-builder and learned what business I shouldn't work for

Cons

Management disconnected with teams. Inexperienced employees thrown into leadership roles as "stretch opportunities" and fail miserably. When leads fail, employees on lower level are subject to disciplinary action and will not have a voice in defending for root of cause. Feedback is not appreciated or taken seriously.

Above all, the passive aggressive culture and apathy of management is sickening. Work environment is highly stressful, leaving even the top-performers paralyzed by stress and unable to perform in dysfunctional environment. Worst professional experience ever and so embarrassed that I recommended my colleagues to apply and have to experience an incredibly poor internship with the company. Waste of their time.

Advice to Management

Good luck

5. "Good money, poor management"

Current Employee - Senior Flight Crew
    Current Employee - Senior Flight Crew

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay checks, good co-workers

Cons

Under funded and short handed

Advice to Management

Change rotations and improve retention

6. "Former employee"

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people - fair benefits

Cons

Continuous downsizing - uncertain future

7. "Systems Engineer"

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time

Pros

The work is extensive and interesting. Expected to perform on project teams and is a matrix organization so you can continue to stay in your discipline or can expand into other areas of interest.

Cons

Disciplines are organized into matrix, so you can continue to stay in your discipline or can expand into other areas of interest.

When you are asked to work extra effort and you are salary, you have to give them 5 free hours before they will pay you straight time.

Advice to Management

need to provide change the vacation policy so employees can carry over more than 80 hrs to the next year. most other companies in the area allow for many more hours can be carried over. I.e. Lockheed

8. "Legal"

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time

Pros

Great benefits, IPT, and 9/80 work schedule.

Cons

Difficulties in retaining good talented people. Growth potential isn't always based on qualifications of the employee. It centers on who you know in the company.

"We have the bare minimum benefits to attract you in the Baltimore Area"

Current Employee - Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get a paycheck. They offer some tuition assistance. The benefits aren't totally horrible. And they have "flex scheduling" which lets you come and go as you please basically as long as you get your work done. They match 401k contributions and charity donations.

In terms of females: the only pro is that they offer Maternity leave, a nursing room, and uhhh special parking if you are expecting. But the buck stops there in accommodating women in a male dominated workforce (Engineering).

Cons

Salary is not competitive for this area -- and god forbid you ask for a raise. They'll either pretend you never asked and ignore you for months afterwards hoping you'll go away, or make up some convenient excuse for why you won't get a raise (even when they've acknowledged that you are underpaid). It's no small wonder we struggle to retain high-performers.

They offer little to no technical training (internal, external and otherwise). All your training will be OJT and you can guarantee you'll see "technically weak" somewhere on your Performance review in your career -- and they will find a way to blame you for this despite the limited OJT. offering this incentive might make up for the poor salary, but in this case, compounds the effect as your resume and technical skillsets languish. If you were planning on making a career in Engineering and becoming a technically deep engineer (or have aspirations to become a principal or chief engineer one day) this is NOT the place for you to grow. This is where you come to get a paycheck.

We have approximately 11% females in engineering (down from the 13%+ we had two years ago...RED FLAG), and only three of them are in leadership -- so we're obviously challenging the diversity quota when it comes to attracting and retaining women. (P.s. last year 23% of graduates in engineering in the US were women, so 11% is nothing to be proud of) And i'm of the impression we lost more women in the past 6 months than we've hired (RED FLAG if you're a woman).

This is petty, but more important than you would think. These new cubicles are horrible. Efficiency has worsened since they went up. Privacy is non-existent, and I feel overwhelmed by the constant engagement with other people as an introvert. I felt like i was 200x more productive when I had walls higher than 4 feet and couldn't hear a cacophony of noise all day. I'm not sure why we even bother to put any walls up. Might as well be in a bull pen in the new york stock exchange for how busy it gets around here in my bldg. I seriously try to hide in empty offices or conference rooms just so I can hear myself think.

Advice to Management

There are too many complaints here to list regarding our diversity and inclusivity policies or training (spoiler: we have NONE other than the mandatory harrassment training). I suppose it could always be worse, but it's 2017, let's not dwell on how it could be worse, let's just make it better. I've literally watched the gender discrimination in Engineering grow worse over the years, not better. At the rate we're going here -- it's going to be Uber level PR in the next year or two. Clamp down on this problem IMMEDIATELY. And btw, this will not be solved by going to HR. I've been there, and done that. This needs to change in Sr. leadership and down. Start setting better examples, and then enforce the changes we need or it's going to keep festering.

If you're going to continually (and brazenly) underpay people compared to the businesses around you (and their peers), then at least offer other incentives such as certification training or conferences. Our training is deplorable. I've never worked somewhere that offers so little training for our work-scope in technical areas. It's truly abysmal.

10. "Fine for Entry Level"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay out of college and good benefits for young folks.. flexible hours as long as you get your work done. Decent military presence in the work force.

Cons

Dull culture, seems like there isn't much room to do other roles or move around (even laterally) even though thats what HR sells you on. People aren't too enthusiastic about their work or management- most people just there to collect paychecks. Not the place to be if you want to be challenged or learn new things every day or do new things every day.

The products themselves are interesting- the work not so much. And if you are not involved with internal R&D, then you don't spend much time developing new products.

Advice to Management

Try to figure out why younger folks don't want to stay here long-term and address that problem to retain talent...