Textron Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Textron Systems Reviews

Updated October 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I got some great experience and met some great people while working there (in 25 reviews)

• Benefits are good and there is a lot of opportunity for training and promotion (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Somewhat of an antiquated work environment (in 9 reviews)

• Not the greatest benefits, work life balance (in 5 reviews)

1. "Former employee"

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people - fair benefits

Cons

Continuous downsizing - uncertain future

2. "Systems Engineer"

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time

Pros

The work is extensive and interesting. Expected to perform on project teams and is a matrix organization so you can continue to stay in your discipline or can expand into other areas of interest.

Cons

Disciplines are organized into matrix, so you can continue to stay in your discipline or can expand into other areas of interest.

When you are asked to work extra effort and you are salary, you have to give them 5 free hours before they will pay you straight time.

Advice to Management

need to provide change the vacation policy so employees can carry over more than 80 hrs to the next year. most other companies in the area allow for many more hours can be carried over. I.e. Lockheed

"Human Resources- Entry Level"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You can get promoted quickly if you do a good job because they don't want to backfill anyone and only shuffle people around.
    - the benefits
    - camaraderie amongst lower level employees

Cons

I would HIGHLY CAUTION anyone who is considering accepting a job in Human Resources at Textron Systems. I have never been part of such a dysfunctional group of HR professionals. During my time with the company, I found the HR department to be very hypocritical...we would tell other employees and managers what they would need to do and wouldn't even follow our own rules. Additionally, the HR leadership team is not transparent at all with their decision making and there is no flow down of communication to lower level employees. The most frustrating thing while I was there was that employees in HR aren't recognized for the work they do..if you do a good job that is just the standard, but if you mess up it's the end of the world and you are chastised and yelled at. The HR team does not work as a "team"; people love to point fingers at you, and they don't ever try and help you out in situations where you need support. Senior leadership couldn't care less about lower level employees, how much work you have, or how stressed you are; they will tell you to keep working. The Talent Acquisition team is in disarray and has essentially fallen apart and no one seems to care at all, which for the team is upsetting and frustrating. There are no goals within the HR team, and if there is they sure aren't celebrated at all. Lastly, during my time at Textron Systems, I was never once asked for feedback from upper management in regards to how things are going, how my manager is doing, how processes are being ran..which I think goes to show just how much they care about lower level employees opinions.

Advice to Management

Care about your lower level employees. Try and understand how much work they have and how stressed people are. Give people meaningful work. You all need to take a good look at the culture within the HR team and try and address some of the underlying issues. ASK YOUR EMPLOYEES FOR FEEDBACK! Create and celebrate goals that are achieved.

4. "Textron Systems Unmanned Systems"

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time

Pros

High variability in day to day tasking

Cons

Customer tends to provide inadequate or vague information

Advice to Management

Make the compensation process more transparent.

5. "Legal"

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time

Pros

Great benefits, IPT, and 9/80 work schedule.

Cons

Difficulties in retaining good talented people. Growth potential isn't always based on qualifications of the employee. It centers on who you know in the company.

6. "Weapons and Sensor Systems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at AJ's pizza across the street are great.

Cons

Most of the campus has been abandoned and left to rot, the buildings are literally falling apart. Workforce that has survived layoffs (now no more than a hundred or so) has been relocated to small building in the rear of the campus.

Morale is low
    Talent hemorrhaging, most experienced folks from Engineering to quality to finance have either quit or been laid off.

No serious investment in R&D. Company has failed to gain any foothold in the market with the new products it when it does come up with them.

This is not a meritocratic environment. The value of your input is determined by your seniority. Similarly you are not rewarded for your performance, you are rewarded based on how many games of golf you've played with the senior manager in the past year.

Advice to Management

Add a note to job postings that says this is a toxic environment you don't want to work here.

"Solid Place to work, room for growth"

Current Employee - Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here for 13 years and I have found that my experience here has been great. I have always been able to carve my own path and go where I wanted to be challenged. For the most part, management has worked with me to make these opportunities happen.

Cons

The change of ownership from UIC to Textron in 2007 took away many of the perks to working here from the benefits side of the house. The feeling that the people that work here as a family has all but disappeared. It can feel as if you are just another number in the eyes of Textron.

Advice to Management

The little things matter. Always keep a pulse on your employees and make them feel connected to the other here. (especially the ones that have dedicated their lives here) You shouldn't find out that an employee is frustrated, burned-out or exhausted in their job at the exit interview.

8. "Solid Company"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Textron Systems gives you solid opportunities to move around the company and try out different business units and/or product lines. There are also a ton of different people that you can work with on a daily basis, exposing you to different sectors of the business. Upper management tends to be very knowledgeable for the most part.

Cons

It can be a bit difficult to move up within the company. There are a lot of people in line for the next big promotion, so there is certainly a fair amount of competition. Work can also be a bit repetitive, depending on what your role is.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for growth within the company.

9. "Sr Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are helpful and supportive. For the most part the company is family oriented.

Cons

Sometimes the hours can be long. Insurance plans have high deductibles.

10. "Excellent Place To Work"

Current Employee - Master Assembly Mechanic in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Master Assembly Mechanic in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family like atmosphere, Comparable pay

Cons

Job scheduling could be better