Textron Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Textron Systems Reviews

Updated June 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • I got some great experience and met some great people while working there (in 25 reviews)

• Steady work-life balance, friendly co-workers (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the greatest benefits, work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• This leads to high turnover and a frustrating work environment (in 7 reviews)

1. "Senior Electrical Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Textron Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and great products.

Cons

They don't allow the electrical engineers to design the electronics, they mainly focus on power distribution.

Advice to Management

People hired right out of college may leave after a few years due to lack of design opportunities.

2. "Best Internship Experience I Could Imagine"

Current Employee - Marketing and Communications Intern in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing and Communications Intern in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

- Coworkers are extremely willing to lend help whenever you need it
    - Lots of diversity in the types of work I did; I was able to learn a lot
    - Textron Systems appears to really invest in its employees and give them opportunities for movement (both vertically and horizontally) throughout the company. The Leadership Development Program (LDP) seems like a great opportunity for newer hires as well.

Cons

- Not all of the offices are in very glamorous locations, but that's ok.
    - The culture at Textron Systems has a strong military influence as many of our employees are veterans; this is neither a pro nor a con, but it should be noted.
    - During my time at Textron, I saw a dozen or so people get laid off. This is fairly typical in any corporation, but again it must be noted.

Advice to Management

Make sure employees feel a sense of job security -- there are quite a few people that constantly fear being laid off.

"Death throws"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For many years a good place to work with some great people.

Cons

The original company was sold to an investor, who then sold it and a couple other related defense companies to Textron. During this transition there was mandatory overtime for those working on contracts billed by the hour, way over budget/ Yet it apparently couldn't be stopped by the bureaucracy of the contract. If it wasn't illegal, it should be. After this transition period where the numbers were inflated for the sale to Textron, major contracts dried up, government spending went down, and the company slowly withered away with wave after wave of layoffs. The Overwatch wing was really never incorporated into the larger company.

Advice to Management

Founders got rich, billionaire got rich with extremely questionable business practices, whoever at Textron that paid over $300 million for the company was rooked, and Textron was unable to do anything to save the situation.

4. "Associate Accountant"

Current Employee - Associate Accountant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Accountant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, mobility, opportunities to grow, working at a small business unit with the feel of a start up, but benefits of a corporation

Cons

A bit corporate, so processes are sometimes inefficient (examples, contacting an HR manager takes time, and they are usually not very reliable), company feels more like multiple silos due to multiple business units, rather than a team

5. "Solid company with room for career growth"

Former Employee - Marketing & Communications Intern in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing & Communications Intern in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Textron Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

There is ample room for promotions. The company almost strictly promotes from within and upper management appears to be genuinely interested in developing the talent of mid-level and even entry-level employees to set the company up for future growth. I also found mobility opportunities within the company very appealing. Since Textron, Inc owns a slew of subsidiary businesses in the defense sector, private aviation, and industrial tools & tech sectors with offices all over the U.S. and in Europe, I met people in Wilmington, MA who had previously worked in Texas or in Germany.

I also had the opportunity to sit down with the Director of Marketing for Textron Systems (my manager's boss) to discuss my internship experience as we were nearing the end of the summer. That conversation proved to me that Textron is interested and invested in their interns and entry-level workers.

Cons

My internship did not provide me with nearly enough work to keep me busy working full time in the summer. My basic database management projects and tradeshow/event planning tasks were not involved enough to make the internship experience as meaningful as it could have been. If management is truly focused on investing in their interns and entry-level talent, they should provide a bit more extensive work opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your internship and leadership training (like LDP) programs, and encourage more opportunities for direct conversation between entry-level employees and mid-level management to make sure both the company is investing its resources wisely and employees are getting meaningful work done.

"Solid product - Employees are only numbers for bean counters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Shadow UAS has performed very well. Decent compensation. Large company with certain perks. Good education benefits. Low level employees are usually good to work with.

Cons

People are just numbers, will usually lay off the harder workers. High attrition, company just prefers to train new people off the street and pay less. Terrible HR. Unless you're an engineer, a Bachelor's degree will get you a pat on the back and nothing more. Management doesn't care about it's employees, only numbers.

Advice to Management

Hire HR who are compotent and not concerned with satisfying bean counters.

7. "Great entry level job"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being in the remote office in Huntsville provides the opportunity to have a large contribution even at the entry level. Amazing work/life balance.

Cons

Raises and promotions are hard to come by. Often not much work to be done (if thats a con for you)

Advice to Management

Better pay would help to retain talent

8. "Sr Field Service Rep"

Current Employee - Senior Field Service Representative in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Field Service Representative in Hunt Valley, MD

Pros

Fore new hires the benefits are good and between holidays and vacation there is plenty of paid time off, even for deployers. If you are fortunate to work at Hunt Valley they shut down for nearly two weeks at the end of the year.

Cons

Their fee for service program with Aerosonde is still experiencing growing pains which should have been sorted out years ago.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring inexperienced individuals and focus more on those that exhibit a stronger work ethic. Too many sites overseas have individuals who do the bare minimum while still making well into he six figures annually.

"Engaging but just can't quench the thirst"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time

Pros

Socially engaging, great people, lots of DoD and contract related training, consistent vision, good variety and strong emphasis on core competencies. Surprising emphasis on emotional intelligence, which is a growing pain, but worth it culturally in the long run to establish solid middle-management. bravo to the new marketing and branding efforts in our comms and marketing teams, and hats off to our BD teams and their growing presence and influence in the industry. really love the push for better BU-to-BU collaboration and talent sharing. Love some of the things coming out of upper executive management - especially in terms of getting better people into our top positions. Our IT dept has made huge strides improving some of our enterprise wide tools and their support of them, and has implemented some great feedback loops that seem to be highly effective. Tremendous growth in the past year or two in the areas mentioned above. Love celebrating our product milestones and getting feedback directly from our end users and customers on how our products save lives and protect our country. Overall, a solid company to work for, and a solid brand in the industry to be proud of.

Cons

Not enough design work. Can't say that enough. You might be funded for it, but then skimp on it, or skip it all together. Not enough opportunities for real design, when we are just always integrating other stuff (which is usually riddled with quality issues). Alarming lack of senior engineering involved in jr. engineering mentorship. JR. Engineering has WAY too much design authority fresh out of college...with very little oversight or guidance. Not enough technical emphasis or training for engineering level 2 through 3. I am still not very clear on the distinction of "product engineer" or what our product engineering team does that is different than most engineering 4's or managers. I'm thirsty to learn and grow my technical depth, but the emphasis, support, and infrastructure is just not here. We need to refocus our talent and skillsets to our products and our market, or they will continue to bleed out our veins and literally walk out the door to our competitors. All my role models are gone for one reason or another, and sometimes it feels like the technical people are the minority in an engineering centric organization surrounded by people who are overly ambitious about climbing the ladder or pleasing the customer/executives and less focused on doing the work that's right and matters for quality products and innovative solutions that open new doors and secure new customers.

Advice to Management

Invest in your technical skillsets and add certification and extended learning to your incentives. Make clear EXACTLY what systems engineering is. Is it IA, networking, Systems engineering or what? What are the skillsets you are asking for from the title? beef up your presence for recruiting on linkedIn; you are completely absent from the game and it shows. You can't play the game if you aren't even in it - and that's where this next generation of talent is at.

Seriously reevaluate some of your middle management. You need movers and shakers. We do not need to be coddled, or asked how we feel all the time. We want our managers to have our back when we take a risk and to guide us when we fail and not throw us under the bus to cover their butts. We want transparency and openness, not closed door conversations. Conviction, pride, and passion about our products -- get some. Strong opinions are welcome - but have some...literally any.

You need strong mentors who are engaging your jr. staff and are role models that are pushing your jr. engineers to be strong engineers with real transferable skills in technical fields, and not just skills in contract management, cat herding, and professional firefighting. You want to preach innovation and growth, and push for patents and industry shaping/defining products -- then you have to invest in that and put your money where your mouth is. Set your examples high -- higher than the mediocre line we are straddling currently...and we will follow you. We want to be challenged, and we want to follow you there...we are thirsty, but no one is pouring the drinks if you get my point.

10. "Good work but too much. Good people but low morale."

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in New Orleans, LA

Pros

The work is interesting. The people, both coworkers and bosses, are good to work with. The salaries are average for the industry and area.

Cons

There is constant schedule pressure to work more and get more done, and no paid overtime for salaried employees. There is the constant possibilities of layoff which hurts morale and takes away the sense of security.

Advice to Management

Better planning and more people are necessary to get the work done without putting an undue burden on the existing staff. Do more to make employees feel appreciated.