Textron Systems "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Textron Systems Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated May 16, 2019

3.2
Textron Systems President and CEO Lisa Atherton
Lisa Atherton
Pros
Cons
  • "Company has changed since it went from AAI Corporation to being bought by Textron in 2007(in 19 reviews)

• "Upper management communications are non-existence(in 17 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Wonderful Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Textron Systems for less than a year

Pros

Great large company benefits in a small company environment. A lot of R&D is done in the group I worked in so ideas were always encouraged. Very hands on experience so I wasn't sitting behind a desk all day.

Cons

Not all of upper management knows what work is required to get things done so sometimes requests that come down are unreasonable or over ambitious for the time they want it in.

Advice to Management

Keep more tabs on the amount of work that goes into assignments to have a better grasp on how much time it'll take to do what is being asked.

Textron Systems2014-10-07

"Textron Marine and Land Systems"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Southeast Louisiana is one of the greatest places in the world. The people, culture, food, and music make this a truly wonderful place to live and raise a family.

Cons

Textron is no longer a competitive business. Upper management is aloof, clueless, and never on site. Middle management is swamped in business processes and self-imposed red tape. They sit in meetings all day trying to figure out why nothing is getting done. The LDP program has populated lower management with a bunch of children. They may be the leaders of 'tomorrow', but their lack of experience makes them completely useless 'today' and none of them seem to stick around until tomorrow. The push for increasing women in engineering and management is a noble cause, but Textron has taken it so far as to create an egregious double-standard. As a result, ambitious and talented men are leaving the company. There are precious few old-timers remaining who actually know what to do and remember how to get things done. Most of them have lost faith in the company and are just sitting there waiting for retirement. Their well-earned wisdom and advice is routinely ignored. This was once a very good company that people could be proud to work for. Sadly, that is no longer the case. I cannot envision that Textron will continue to get large government contracts when their product designs are outdated and they now have a decade long track record of delivering late and over budget. A more competitive company like Huntington Ingalls should buy Textron and clean house. Otherwise, I envision layoff after layoff until the old shipyard is empty.

Textron Systems2019-05-16

"Excellent company!"

Flight Crew in Blackstone, VA

I have been working at Textron Systems for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of interesting and technical projects to work on.

Cons

Upper management communications are non-existence. Compensation is not competitive with other companies. No incentives for a job well done.

Advice to Management

Don't waste money on failed projects, to begin with. Don't let accounting control everything. Don't be afraid to fire people for doing a substandard job, and I mean SUBSTANDARD.

Textron Systems2018-03-05

"Meh"

I worked at Textron Systems full-time

Pros

Big company - lots of interesting projects to work on

Cons

Upper Management is stuck in the 50's - they are doing just enough to keep the lights on - and nothing else.

Textron Systems2018-03-06

"Project Manager"

I worked at Textron Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Received excellent DoD program experience as a relative newbie to Gov't contracting. Can find/work with high functioning teams and benefit from those experiences. Tuition Reimbursement for undergrad is 100%.

Cons

Employees and atmosphere have cliques. Unfortunately these cliques are promoted and constitute mid/upper management. Be prepared for bi-annual layoffs (past decade). You can find better healthcare benefits other DoD Contractors as well as other Industry. Not a secure feeling working in any atmosphere whereby profits are first and foremost. High stress to the point of employees taking sick/illness or medical leave to deal with pressure. Long hours of working whereby commitment is questioned if not followed. Human Resource team is weak, they do not know or spend time with ALL employees.

Advice to Management

All managers should address the clique behavior and be inclusive to all employees everyday. Take your tax credits 2018 and invest into better healthcare coverage for your employees. Stop damaging your Customer base by dictating profit margins to your management. There's a better way to win win. Focus on hiring/retaining an Innovative Engineering team. Build a robust and new HR outlook and team that ALL employees trust.

Textron Systems2018-01-16

"Good place to work but losing touch"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits / Ample time off when the work load is low / Employees have passion about their roles / People want to see the products succeed

Cons

Upper management is losing touch with the employees that conduct the work and execute the projects that bring in the profits.

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to your people. They are starting to become frustrated with higher due to increased profit directives from higher. You will start to lose valuable employees.

Textron Systems2017-11-02

"Human Resources- Entry Level"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Textron Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

- You can get promoted quickly if you do a good job because they don't want to backfill anyone and only shuffle people around. - the benefits - camaraderie amongst lower level employees

Cons

I would HIGHLY CAUTION anyone who is considering accepting a job in Human Resources at Textron Systems. I have never been part of such a dysfunctional group of HR professionals. During my time with the company, I found the HR department to be very hypocritical...we would tell other employees and managers what they would need to do and wouldn't even follow our own rules. Additionally, the HR leadership team is not transparent at all with their decision making and there is no flow down of communication to lower level employees. The most frustrating thing while I was there was that employees in HR aren't recognized for the work they do..if you do a good job that is just the standard, but if you mess up it's the end of the world and you are chastised and yelled at. The HR team does not work as a "team"; people love to point fingers at you, and they don't ever try and help you out in situations where you need support. Senior leadership couldn't care less about lower level employees, how much work you have, or how stressed you are; they will tell you to keep working. The Talent Acquisition team is in disarray and has essentially fallen apart and no one seems to care at all, which for the team is upsetting and frustrating. There are no goals within the HR team, and if there is they sure aren't celebrated at all. Lastly, during my time at Textron Systems, I was never once asked for feedback from upper management in regards to how things are going, how my manager is doing, how processes are being ran..which I think goes to show just how much they care about lower level employees opinions.

Advice to Management

Care about your lower level employees. Try and understand how much work they have and how stressed people are. Give people meaningful work. You all need to take a good look at the culture within the HR team and try and address some of the underlying issues. ASK YOUR EMPLOYEES FOR FEEDBACK! Create and celebrate goals that are achieved.

Textron Systems2017-09-15

"Good Company, but lack of moral"

Current Intern - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems for less than a year

Pros

Textron systems is a large company, with a small company feel. There is a lot of opportunity to move up or to a different sector as you desire. They treat their interns pretty well as far as benefits go. I go a signing bonus and paid holidays over the summer. I worked here two summers and they are definitely more organized the second one.

Cons

Moral is extremely low. Everyone seems to think it is a sinking ship even though stock prices rise. Very little money is spent on R&D which is concerning for the future. They built a drone that they can't sell. Each sector seems to hate the other sectors. (I.E. quality complains about engineering and vice versa, engineering about PMs, PMs about upper management, everyone complains about HR). Also, there is a lot of wasted time as an intern. I'm not sure why they hire so many without work to give them all.

Advice to Management

Improve moral. Pay more money for R&D. Don't pay so much on a drone you can't sell. Improve communication across departments. Look into a tier 1 drone and get it ASAP (you will fall behind the competition soon). Don't hire so many interns.

Textron Systems2015-06-21
  9. "Great company to work for as the overall corporation is concerned."

Former Employee - Outfitter in Slidell, LA

I worked at Textron Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good job with good pay & benefits with ample family time.

Cons

1) To be as large as Textron is this was the worst run facility I have ever seen or worked at in my entire life. 2) To many managers for the amount of workers. 3) Managers (fall guys) were afraid to make a decision because higher managers would not let them. 4) People not held responsible for doing their job and doing it right from the main office to the bathroom cleaners. 5) Lead persons put into positions for jobs they couldn't do themselves. 6) H.R. at the facility I worked at could not answer the simplest questions in a timely manner. 7) The hourly workers that took pride in their jobs lost them due to the fact that the engineers and main office personnel were incompetent to due theirs or just did not care. 8) Could not believe 99% of what you were told from upper management. **** The only time I was ever laid off with work left to be done but the so called educated staff could not make their product fit the false promises

Advice to Management

Management please don't fool yourself by thinking you did a good job. YOU DID NOT !!!

Textron Systems2015-02-24

"Great product and great workforce"

I have been working at Textron Systems

Pros

the people are great. the product is interesting.

Cons

Upper management issues filter down to the lower ranks. Job security is bad.

Textron Systems2014-10-23