Textron "business units" Reviews | Glassdoor

Textron Employee Reviews about "business units"

Updated Feb 13, 2019

3.4
Textron Chairman, President and CEO Scott C. Donnelly
Scott C. Donnelly
Pros
Cons
  • "Employee turnover is pretty rapid at some of the smaller business units(in 14 reviews)

• "No work life balance, would receive calls at 11PM at night(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "business units"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company to start with."

Current Employee - Infrastructure Analyst in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Textron full-time for less than a year

Pros

Textron is a massive company with many different business units you can transfer to get a better overall experience. There is always so much going on, and so much to do. I really enjoy my job.

Cons

Sometimes I would rather just focus on one project instead of four, but that is the nature of my position.

Advice to Management

The management does an excellent job most of the time with their direct reports, sometimes I feel a tug of war between other managers that need me to help them with various tasks and projects.

Textron2016-04-28
  2. "Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - Event Marketing Specialist

I worked at Textron full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for growth if you are willing to move throughout the country.

Cons

If you work at a smaller business unit you really get put on the back burner. Large business units get the most focus and resources.

Textron2019-02-13
  3. "Textron as a whole"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Analyst in Augusta, GA

I worked at Textron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Textron as a whole is a healthy company to work for.

Cons

Employee turnover is pretty rapid at some of the smaller business units.

Advice to Management

Work on employee retention

Textron2019-02-04
  4. "LDP ISC"

I have been working at Textron full-time

Pros

Experience four different jobs related to manufacturing operations/ supply chain at four different business units. Good visibility to senior leadership. Fast track to a management position. Living in four cities over two years was great.

Cons

Pay could be better. Not the best at communicating between roles, making the transition difficult sometimes.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to get more involved in selecting the roles at the business units. Some of the roles can be difficult if your direct manager is not supportive of the program.

Textron2018-04-03
  5. "VP Engg"

I worked at Textron full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Solid corp business mgt; strong technical foundation; strong ethical foundation

Cons

Large culture variations between business units - Large vs small, commercial vs gov't products & customers. People focus and efforts at reducing silos diminishing.

Advice to Management

Steer back to people and communication principles.

Textron2017-12-18
  6. "Internship Experiences @ Textron"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Rockford, IL

I worked at Textron for more than a year

Pros

People are great, environment is generally pretty relaxed, work gets done, and everyone seems to care about helping the company achieve success. Since Textron has a variety of Business Units, your ability to rotate through different industries or roles is pretty good. Depending on which Business Unit you work at, things may vary. I was with Greenlee Textron (known as Textron Tool & Test internally) in the 2014/2015 timeframe.

Cons

HR is normally excellent but I witnessed a few major flops where they "forgot" about people or dropped the ball on specific issues. The company also seems to have over-hired and later had to "right size" and fire a bunch of people. This manifested in several veteran employees, a handful of new employees, and some shop floor personnel being let go across the enterprise. I know this happens, but it felt a little fishy to me. One thing that made me particularly upset is that they rejected me from their Engineer Development and Leadership Development programs based on my degree. Being rejected is fine: their programs, their choice. Claiming that my degree is insufficient because it's not "Mechanical Engineering" or "Electrical Engineering" is not. I felt that was extremely short-sighted and disrespectful to the body of individuals studying Manufacturing in academia. (I was working on my BS Manufacturing Engineering Technology at the time.)

Advice to Management

Mind your p's and q's. Business has to get done but internal processes need to be clean in order to keep an effective operation going. Don't let one function (HR, Marketing, Sales, etc) dominate the others and create a poor work environment or fuel poor business strategies.

Textron2017-09-09

"Financial System Analyst"

I have been working at Textron

Pros

Laid back work life, gym onsite, emphasis on moving around every few years (to other business units also) get to work with awesome products that you can be proud of, decent benefits, education focused for employees who want to obtain higher degrees

Cons

High emphasis on the LDP(leadership development program)/intern program and forget their other employees. Not all employees are treated equally. Lots of layoffs around all the business units. Only 1.5 weeks of vacation for new employees which isn't a lot. Especially since you have employees from other states.

Advice to Management

Try to be an inclusive company where all employees matter. Not just the LDPs.

Textron2017-07-24

"HR"

I worked at Textron full-time

Pros

Textron provides excellent opportunities to grow and develop. Expectations are high for employees to contribute and deliver.

Cons

Most of the teams are under-resourced as the company has grown rapidly. Unfortunately, advancement opportunities are limited unless you're willing to move to other business units.

Advice to Management

Provide more training opportunities for new managers.

Textron2017-06-26
  9. "Many Opportunities"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Textron

Pros

Many opportunities; job flexibility; variety of business units and products

Cons

Mgmt unwilling to recognize talent with compensation; High level talent is driven away

Advice to Management

It takes more than just senior management to run a company. Compensate high performance employees to retain them.

Textron2017-06-22
  10. "Leadership development Program: ISC"

Current Employee - ISC LDP in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Textron full-time for more than a year

Pros

Provides a lot of opportunities to get experience in different areas of ISC. Upper management really takes time to build up LDPs, so a lot of exposure to executives. Provide really good moving packages to make the moving a lot easier.

Cons

Moving every 6 months is difficult (once you get in your grove you have to move). Some business units treat you like an expensive intern and you are a paper pusher. A lot of it is based on how much you take the initiative. Big company so it takes a while to do anything or get anything approved.

Advice to Management

Work with LDP managers to have legitimate word for the LDP's to do. We didn't join this program to push papers and sit around all day.

Textron2017-04-04