Thanx Reviews

Updated Jan 3, 2021

4.4
Thanx CEO/Founder Zach Goldstein  (no image)
Zach Goldstein
Pros
  • "People are constantly rewarded for their hard work(in 13 reviews)

• "Great office culture and great people(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (thats what you get for being at a startup), difficult industry to sell into (restaurants, retail)(in 6 reviews)

• "Classic start-up growing pains, but we learn, and we move on(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"Everyone Pulls Together"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thanx full-time for more than a year

Pros

Almost everyone at Thanx is here because they are excited to be part of something bigger than themselves. They are passionate about building something and they expect their job to be more than a paycheck. They care about one another and generally want to succeeed as a team. That doesn't mean they aren't interested in building their own career and skills, but they don't want to do it at the expense of their peers.

Cons

The company is competing in a difficult category with established competitors and a fickle buying community. Things don't come easy and everyone has to be prepared to innovate and push past initial obstacles to get win. The software offering is expansive and it means individuals can be asked to cover a lot of ground whether you are full stack engineer a customer success manager, or a sales rep. This is true solutions based selling and service delivery and you need to be mentally facile to keep up.

2. COVID-19

"Good people, unafraid to make the tough calls"

I have been working at Thanx full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The team, particularly leadership, and the company culture which emphasizes empathy and stays true to our company values - Engaging, fulfilling, and challenging work - We don't have ridiculous startup perks, and because of that, the company prioritizes compensation & not over indexing when things get tough (like during COVID)

Cons

- We're currently a fairly homogenous team in terms of key identity markers (but worth noting that the company at large is actively working on improving here)

"A company that values your voice and transparency"

Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thanx full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Strong leadership that values employees input - Maintains transparency around company direction and decisions

Cons

- Nothing comes to mind

"My favorite place Ive ever worked!"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thanx full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Extremely down-to-earth and family-oriented culture. People are constantly rewarded for their hard work.

Cons

Classic start-up growing pains, but we learn, and we move on.

5. "Strong company values"

I have been working at Thanx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Since the company is small, there are a lot of opportunities for growth. It's exciting to work on a product that has such a positive effect on brick & mortar businesses' engagement with their customers. The company culture is embraced by everyone, especially now that we're all working remotely.

Cons

Since it is such a small team, we are challenged to wear many hats, which can bring people outside of their comfort zones

"Hard work pays off"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Thanx full-time for less than a year

Pros

There's a real opportunity here to make an impact. The Thanx experience is full of really great learning opportunities if you're open to challenging yourself. It's also clear that Thanx is a values driven organization, with thoughtful leadership that leads by example. All in all, this company is full of great human beings!

Cons

It's hard work, and that's only a con if you're not up for the challenge. The product is complex, and evolving quickly, which can cause some growing pain in customer facing roles. I often find myself overwhelmed and working long hours. Which can lead to feeling that I'm not doing by best work because I am stretched thin.

Continue reading

"Great leadership team willing to make hard choices to enable long-term success"

Current Employee - Head of Marketing

I have been working at Thanx full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can honestly say that I love working at Thanx. I have complete ownership of my job function and my leadership team trusts me. Most CEOs have a hard time letting others make important decisions. At previous companies, I wasn’t fully empowered. At Thanx, I have complete ownership of my function and support when I need it. The company has had two really strong quarters in a row which feels really good. We also release new products to market really rapidly which means we have a lot to talk about in marketing. It keeps me very busy but it’s a good busy.

Cons

As a growing company, the leadership team has had to make tough decisions. I appreciate their ability to do so swiftly and with grace. I’ve had the opposite experience too many times. It’s a lot of hard of work. I regularly work nights and weekends. I don’t do it because anyone tells me to. I do it because I want us to be successful and success requires it. With that said, I also take time off when I need to and I’m trusted to make those time off decisions wisely.

Continue reading
  8. "Good company, startup culture"

4.0
    Former Employee - SDR

I worked at Thanx full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great colleagues to work with, startup fun, team mentality

Cons

Had to let SDR team go, lots of turnover

"DO NOT APPLY - huge layoffs/no growth"

1.0
    Former Employee - SDR in Denver, CO

I worked at Thanx full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Amazing network of people aside from leadership

Cons

The company recently terminated over 10 employees in a group-firing without any warning, leaving their employees completely out to dry. Thanx is clearly struggling to stay afloat as a company but leadership is unwilling to cut losses and close down. My advice would be to avoid this company at all cost.

Thanx Response

November 16, 2019Founder and CEO

It was one of the hardest decisions of my life to eliminate our SMB-focused, predominately Sales Development Rep team. And while every one of those people got new jobs quickly %E2%80%94 in some cases with direct support from Thanx %E2%80%94 I'm sure it may have been even harder on you personally. I expressed this to each of you personally by flying to Denver and talking with you 1o1 but I understand that doesn't change what happened in July.But here are the facts %E2%80%94 the SMB team was not performing. We did not find a way to make cold calling really small businesses profitable. Which is a shame because those small businesses who are on Thanx are actually quite successful. But they are hard to reach and that means the job of our SDRs was hard. When I say it wasn't performing, I don't fault our team. I blame myself and our leadership for asking them to do a task that was too hard.But it was the right change for the business %E2%80%94 a business that by focusing our efforts exclusively on larger accounts with more senior sellers, put up it's best Q3 ever and at the time of this review had already matched that less than 50\% through Q4, on our way to a record quarter. Just ask your friends who are still here and performing incredibly well. You're %E2%80%94 fortunately for us %E2%80%94 quite wrong.I'm not going to be defensive here %E2%80%94 I understand emotions are involved. I am sorry this is how things transpired but I am happy you found a great job. And I can't expect you to think about business decisions as just that, good business decisions as opposed to personal when they impact you. But given everything above which was also shared openly and personally with you, I do think this characterization is unfair even if some of the facts (e.g. the SDR layoff) are indeed very real and painful for everyone involved.

"Stay Away - THEY LAID OFF NEARLY THE ENTIRE DENVER OFFICE"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Thanx full-time for more than a year

Pros

-There was decent culture at one point -Your typical beer in the office, snacks, team events that most companies are expected to offer these days

Cons

-THEY ABRUPTLY LAID OFF NEARLY THE ENTIRE DENVER OFFICE AND DID NOT PROVIDE A GOOD SEVERANCE PACKAGE TO THEM, THEY'VE ALSO LAID OFF A LOT OF THE TEAM IN THEIR SAN FRANCISCO OFFICE -Product is not being adopted by the industry. It's a very busy space with lots of competition and Thanx is behind nearly all competition -Upper management continually put tons of blame on the sales side when they were set up for failure -Too many to list -Can't retain sales leaders and churned through a ton of talent that either left on their own or was fired in a mass layoff -Company is in a very bad spot

Viewing 1 - 10 of 74 English Reviews