That's Great News Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 19, 2017

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Roscoe

1. "An overall great place to work"

Former Employee - Publication Researcher in Prospect, CT
    Former Employee - Publication Researcher in Prospect, CT

I worked at That's Great News full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The general manager is extremely organized which sets the rest of the company up to be organized as well. The company is always looking for new ways to change things up and grow. They're willing and open to take new suggestions for improvement from their employees. The HR department is also very helpful in resolving any matters at hand and the manager for the Research department is prompt with organization, a great manager, and great at facilitating weekly meetings and goals. This is a company that has yearly and 3-year plans and desires to grow, change, and develop as a whole. The CEO of this company is a numbers guy and is always striving for new, better, and higher goals. An overall great "bus driver" for the bus.

Cons

Pay could be better; sick time, personal time, and vacation time not offered. Vacation vouchers are handy, but not 100% effective.

Advice to Management

Continue to strive for new and higher goals. Give other employees, besides those that are already in management, the opportunity to move up the ladder.

2. "Make learning a priority"

Current Employee - General Manager in Cheshire, CT
    Current Employee - General Manager in Cheshire, CT

I have been working at That's Great News full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong leadership team, that meets weekly to keep company in line with the vision and goals. Solid accountability chart , and management tools in place to be sure all employees are in the right "seat".

Cons

We are always testing if there is a better way. So this could be to fast paced for some.

Advice to Management

Continuing cross training employees, and including the entire team in projects to continue making learning a priority!

3. "Cheap & cocky owner.. growth opportunities!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Haven, CT

I worked at That's Great News full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck & most people are nice

Cons

Owner is cocky & cheap, no benefits, pay is awful, they'll hire anyone w/ a pulse, management is awful & talk about employees, UNSAFE WORK CONDITIONS

Advice to Management

Get a human resource dept, learn to not gossip & talk about other employees, stop covering up Bobs errors

5. "Bad company ran by unethical individual"

Former Employee - Designer in Cheshire, CT
    Former Employee - Designer in Cheshire, CT

I worked at That's Great News full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing good about this company. You will be asked to do questionable things.

Cons

Better Business Bureau warns News about suspicious email offer by THAT'S GOOD NEWS!

by Laura Lavin - Victoria News

Scott’s is among a few complaints received by Black Press, owner of Victoria News, about an email offer to purchase a mounted copy of a recent article in the News.

The offer comes from That’s Great News, a Cheshire, Connecticut-based company that has been sued in Illinois over copyright infringement in the past.

In 2008, GateHouse Media, publisher of 97 dailies in 20 states and 198 paid weeklies, filed a lawsuit against That’s Great News, a company which makes plaques out of newspaper articles and sells them to people featured in the articles. GateHouse sued for copyright infringement, trademark infringement, unfair competition and false advertising.

The “customized plaque” offered by the company costs $169.

“We want our readers and customers to know that this is very serious and indeed an infringement on our copyright,” said Black Press Group Publisher Penny Sakamoto. “We urge our readers and customers not to fall for this.”

The company is also known for its aggressive tactics, continuing to send the emails soliciting business. “This is the fourth time they’ve contacted me,” said Scott. “Clearly I’m not interested, I haven’t replied. To me that kind of marketing … I don’t like it.”

Scott said Canada’s anti-spam legislation isn’t much help when dealing with companies based in the US.

“If you’re contacted by a Canadian company you should be able to opt in or opt out. But with emails from the US, our legislation doesn’t apply.”

Scott recommends not replying to unsolicited email offers, or searching the bottom of the email for a link to unsubscribe from the solicitations.

The News contacted That’s Great News’ owner Robert Roscoe for comment, but the call was not returned by press time.

Advice to Management

The owner is just a flaky individual, people just search Robert Roscoe and see tons of complaints and lawsuits against Mr. Roscoe.

6. "Unethical business practices"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cheshire, CT

Pros

When Bob Roscoe the CEO isn't around you feel less slimey.

Cons

The business is partly based on stealing copyrighted information from third party publishers. You are tasked with selling plaques with this copyrighted information. Bob knows the legal loopholes and uses them to prey upon these small businesses who can't afford to fight back. Whatever it takes to make a buck right? Not me - I'm not a white collar criminal. I left once I realized what they were doing.

Advice to Management

Get a new business model and stop using legal loopholes to steal from small businesses.

7. "Aweful"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cheshire, CT

I worked at That's Great News full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will hire anyone. They have medical and dental benefits after 90 days. The base pay is $11 plus commission.

Cons

Commission is next to impossible to hit. You need to have $12,500 paid in each month at 100% credit card sales in order to get commission. Management is corrupt. They play favoritism. They outsource about 100 of their 130 employees. The owner doesn't care about anything other than peoples sales. HE doesn't even care about how they get their sales. The sales manager has complete control over there. She dictates how sales go and who they go to and she manipulates the system to her liking. The Supervisor was the only one who seemed to care about the individual employees and he quit his job because of the way the place was run. The plaques are over priced and they sell reprints as originals which is highly illegal,

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the management and start fresh.

8. "Strong team that moves quickly"

Current Contractor - Marketing Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Marketing Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at That's Great News as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

A company that considers and make decisions quickly. Great team ethic and good people to work with.

The company has been growing consistently for some years and over the last 12 months been through a transformation process that has strengthened the company from top to bottom.

Cons

A medium size business with fast pace. If you like large corporate companies with a lot of structure and rules then probably not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue with the good work of the last 12 months empowering and involving employees

9. "Great News With Custom Framed Newspaper & Magazine Wood & Acrylic Article Plaques"

I have been working at That's Great News full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's like traveling places and discovering new things.

Cons

Sometimes you get bored, you don't have social life.